Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Microsoft did that several times and they always do it as an expansion with movies that have the same theme. They did it with the Fast and Furious in Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious

latest

Also they will be doing it with Sea of Thieves and Pirates of the Caribbean

SoT_SL_Vis_ID_4k.jpg

Also they will be doing it with Flight Simulator and Top Gun.

image-2021-06-13t141448043_feature.png

All these examples seem to fit well and don't seem forced. Maybe the next best fit will be a Honey, I Shrunk the Kids expansion for Grounded.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah, Microsoft has been pretty smart about only doing these partnerships when it seems to make mutual sense. Especially compared to titles like Smite, Brawlhalla, etc - where it just seems like they'll take any franchise who wants a quick bite of gaming attention.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
meh, I think the movie tie-ins are kind of corny personally. I never have any interest in them, even if I like the movies

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I like it when it happens in their "blank slate" games, which I don't mean in a derogatory way. It bothers me a bit in the games with more specific world building, like Gears.

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty neat indeed, I liked that SoT x PotC trailer. Sony should be doing the same if they have any games where it makes sense, considering they own a bunch of movie IPs themselves (Insomniac, how about an exclusive Ghostbusters game, since Sony owns the IP? It would sell MILLIONS! MILLIONS, I tell you!).

OP
OP
Cantona222

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
MS seems to have inherited it for other games too with MachineGames doing Indiana Jones and if the rumours are true and they are buying IO, they get Bond too.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
microsoft is so strong and smart for putting movie licenses in their games i love being advertised to twice

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I think there are two different types of deals here:
  1. I think 2F2F and Top Gun are just cross-promotion deals. MS develops free DLC with the film branding, but they don't pay anything to the IP holders because the free DLC is promotion for the film. (Perhaps even the film pays a small amount to MS.)
  2. I think SOT/POTC is a situation where MS is licensing the POTC IP from Disney.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They have a lot of games which don't have much, if anything, in the way of consistent characters or lore so it's easy to slot that stuff in without disrupting anything

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
MS seems to have inherited it for other games too with MachineGames doing Indiana Jones and if the rumours are true and they are buying IO, they get Bond too.

I don't think that's how it works if the licensing deals happened before Microsoft acquires a studio. Microsoft doesn't "get" Bond in that instance

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone

Would there be any possible licensing issues now that Amazon bought out MGM and the Bond series? Those franchises (movies and games) could be entirely separate though, I'm not sure.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Totally,
It isn't quite the same, but the Lego and Hot Wheels expansions for Horza Horizon were amazing too. So far, I've loved a lot of these crossovers. I wonder i'll see Halo try something like this, now that the MP is going free to play.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
What about it is smart? Are you referring to the way they integrate movie properties? Seems like the OP wasn't finished.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The Gears/Terminator tie-in with Gears 5 was weird and dumb. Even more bizarre... they gave away the old Terminator model and Sarah Conner to anyone who pre-ordered (I think?), but then charged $20 for the characters from the shitty new movie, haha. So to recap: They gave away the models anyone might actually want, but charged $20 for the ones no one cared about. And I assume due to contracts with the movie studio, I don't think that price has ever changed. Worse still, the franchise tie-in characters had cut down skill card loadouts in Horde mode (this also applied to the two Halo characters).

Aside from that, they've been fine I guess. The PotC tie-in with Sea of Thieves was surprising and cool, and Forza Horizon has done a great job with LEGO and Hot Wheels. The MSFS/Top Gun thing I'm ambivalent about except for the fact that it means they are bringing military jets to the sim for free, that (I hope) are well modeled and realistic.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When's Mahvel? 🤔

Gimme Flight Simulator X Captain Marvel
Forza Horizon 5 X Ghost Rider
Sea of Thieves X Marauders

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm a massive Top Gun fan and that didn't do anything for me.

Top Gun and DCS though? Hehehehehe.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty neat indeed, I liked that SoT x PotC trailer. Sony should be doing the same if they have any games where it makes sense, considering they own a bunch of movie IPs themselves (Insomniac, how about an exclusive Ghostbusters game, since Sony owns the IP? It would sell MILLIONS! MILLIONS, I tell you!).
The fact SIE hasn't done an AAA Ghostbusters is frustrating.

I like these partnerships by MS.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
The Gears 5 and Terminator wasn't it only skins/characters in multiplayer? It didn't bother me since it is not part of the main story.
They also had Dave Bautista doing a completely replacement of Marcus for Gear 5, as Dave is a huge Gears fan and has openly expressed the desire to play as Marcus for a Gears film, and even went as far as turning down Fast & Furious so he can pitch a Gears film to Universal.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact SIE hasn't done an AAA Ghostbusters is frustrating.

I like these partnerships by MS.

I still have no idea what the Hell they were thinking when they licensed the IP out as multiplat for the PCS360/PS2/Wii game. Sony could've used it as an exclusive to prop up the struggling PS3, but no, they licensed it out and ended up with a game based on their own IP running better on the competitor's console, lol. I hope Sony will begin utilizing their cross-media IPs better, considering they own IPs like Men in Black and Bad Boys IIRC.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
I don't personally like it much, I feel it kind of dilutes the identity of the game by sharing it with another established franchise and always feels like a marketing plug-in, which rubs me the wrong way. Not a big deal though.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Collabs are a fine line for me and Xbox seems to be doing alright with them so far.

But, please don't tie anything into Starfield or Redfall

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I still have no idea what the Hell they were thinking when they licensed the IP out as multiplat for the PCS360/PS2/Wii game. Sony could've used it as an exclusive to prop up the struggling PS3, but no, they licensed it out and ended up with a game based on their own IP running better on the competitor's console, lol. I hope Sony will begin utilizing their cross-media IPs better, considering they own IPs like Men in Black and Bad Boys IIRC.

Sony is a conglomerate so ultimately Sony Pictures is going to do whatever they think benefits Sony Pictures the most.