• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Was checking out the Steam concurrent users page and it occured to me how many Microsoft games there are in that list. While no publishers comes close to the numbers Valve does with DotA2, CS:Go and TF2.. Microsoft could be the second or third largest publishers on the platform at this point?

gDBBAXo.png

zKzvWxC.png

Wonder if they can keep it up like this. Some very strong service and long lasting games in there such as Age of Empires, Halo and Skyrim.

Ix0ncg8.png

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
That's pretty impressive when you put it in a line like that.

Woof at Fallout 76 current and all-time numbers tho. Compare it with Fallout 4's record-setting numbers and it's a wonder they are keeping that thing going at all tbh.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Yup. Other publishers that don't put their stuff on Steam day one or at all should take notice.

People want to play good games.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
No doubt they're up there. But I'm not going to give Microsoft credit for the Bethesda games they had nothing to do with. They simply bought the company.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Woof at Fallout 76 current and all-time numbers tho. Compare it with Fallout 4's record-setting numbers and it's a wonder they are keeping that thing going at all tbh.

Those Fallout numbers make me curious how big Starfield could be as the platform isnt really smaller than it was back then ...

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft have come on a long way in the gaming software space since shudders Game For Live Windows. Game Pass is obv an amazing bargain too (One I dip in and out of when a good game hits but decent enough value for what's on offer).

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think its pretty self evident that Microsoft will be the largest games publisher in a few years. Once they're pushing 4-5 decently large games a year.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely.

I have no idea what the total player count on PC is, so it may well not be great, but keep in mind it didn't come to Steam until 2020 and is also free on Game Pass.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

fallout 76 was exclusive to Bethesta Launcher for a while.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Maybe they will seize the opportunity and build their store as friendly and as functional steam is for us pc users too.

I am scared to even install it after reading and seeing all those horror stories about it.

But yes, MS can make good games, they do have very talented studios and i think there s a lot more to come the following years.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Those Fallout numbers make me curious how big Starfield could be as the platform isnt really smaller than it was back then ...
You also have to remember that its a new Fallout game and not something like a new Elder Scrolls.. which seems more popular. With Starfield, I expect near 1m CCU... Skyrim at launch was 287K CCU on STEAM wayyyyyyy back in 2011 also..

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty impressive. Those numbers will only keep going higher with their upcoming games lineup. It's still crazy to now see Fallout and Skyrim labeled under MS.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Wow why is FH4 almost the same as FH5?
Its apparently 67% off on STEAM. A big enough discount then apparently Xbox didn't see if you check the discount history of it on isthereanydeal.com. If iam wrong here, anyone is welcome to correct me on this. FH4 is also well priced regionally. Its like $6.59 for me rn with the Ultimate Edition being $11.19.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Wow why is FH4 almost the same as FH5?
Cheap, on-sale, for people who can't afford 5/don't have gamepass it's basically the same and a good stopgap before xmas.

Personally, I think it's functionally identical for the most part and it's got a better setting/graphics, the online seemed more stable too. 5 is kinda a mess in a lot of ways (still a good game though).

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, they are at the top of the PC gaming landscape now and I don't think any other publisher will come close, their line-up is just too big and well suited for PC (Valve has a couple of huge hits with Dota 2 and CS:GO but that's it).

This a particularly comfortable position to be in a period where you just can't produce all the consoles you would need.

Truth is, as of this year, I would consider that Xbox became a force as a PC publisher first and foremost. I'd be really curious to know how does the PC/console split looks like right now in terms of players and sales.

Feb 15, 2019
Really happy Microsoft has been doing so well on PC when they put in some actual effort (cough GFWL cough) and get rewarded for it. I can only hope other publishers will follow this example.

Yep, they are at the top of the PC gaming landscape now and I don't think any other publisher will come close, their line-up is just too big and well suited for PC (Valve has a couple of huge hits with Dota 2 and CS:GO but that's it).

This a particularly comfortable position to be in a period where you just can't produce all the consoles you would need.

Truth is, as of this year, I would consider that Xbox became a force as a PC publisher first and foremost. I'd be really curious to know how does the PC/console split looks like right now in terms of players and sales.

I mean they're still behind Valve purely by numerical values on just Steam alone. Odds are they also don't beat Epic and they definitely don't beat Riot Games where one of their games basically dwarves everything else.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Compared to what other numbers? Who are the other biggest publishers on Steam?

I just checked the Steam concurrent Top 100. So only counting games in the top 100.

1. Valve - 1,781,405 concurrent players
2. EA - 382,377 concurrent players
3. PUBG Corp. - 290,853 concurrent players
4. Take Two - 253,969 concurrent players
5. Xbox Game Studios - 207,125 concurrent players

#. Bethesda SoftWorks - 85,160 concurrent players

Newtype

Oct 24, 2021
Really happy Microsoft has been doing so well on PC when they put in some actual effort (cough GFWL cough) and get rewarded for it. I can only hope other publishers will follow this example.

I mean they're still behind Valve purely by numerical values on just Steam alone. Odds are they also don't beat Epic and they definitely don't beat Riot Games where one of their games basically dwarves everything else.
minecraft holds up i suppose.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I just checked the Steam concurrent Top 100. So only counting games in the top 100.

1. Valve - 1,781,405 concurrent players
2. EA - 382,377 concurrent players
3. PUBG Corp. - 290,853 concurrent players
4. Take Two - 253,969 concurrent players
5. Xbox Game Studios - 207,125 concurrent players

#. Bethesda SoftWorks - 85,160 concurrent players

We should note that Microsoft probably scores better when the US is at peak players.

Edit: when I count peak concurrent users MS+Bethesda are at #3 with 380k concurrent instead of 280k.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Gonna be REAL big. If it reviews well, I could see it getting close to Cyberpunk peak numbers imo.

You also have to remember that its a new Fallout game and not something like a new Elder Scrolls.. which seems more popular. With Starfield, I expect near 1m CCU... Skyrim at launch was 287K CCU on STEAM wayyyyyyy back in 2011 also..

Seems realistic to me as well for it to reach 1M (or close to it) unless its bad.

Oct 25, 2017
They've really become a PC gaming force. They also do a healthy business with Minecraft and whatever they get from the ms store from gamepass users.

Oct 27, 2017

Indeed I should have said "Steam" not PC as a whole. As for Valve vs. Microsoft, I believe it's not so easy. Valve has the two biggest and consistent games by players on Steam with Dota 2 and CS:GO, but when you add all the hits Microsoft has released this year (AOE4, FH5, Halo) and the back catalog (FH4, Halo MCC, Flight Simulator, Sea of Thieves), I'm not so certain Microsoft will be behind Valve in revenue/units sold for 2021 ?

EDIT : and yeah I forgot that but we are not even seeing Minecraft here.

Feb 15, 2019
Indeed I should have said "Steam" not PC as a whole. As for Valve vs. Microsoft, I believe it's not so easy. Valve has the two biggest and consistent games by players on Steam with Dota 2 and CS:GO, but when you add all the hits Microsoft has released this year (AOE4, FH5, Halo) and the back catalog (FH4, Halo MCC, Flight Simulator, Sea of Thieves), I'm not so certain Microsoft will be behind Valve in revenu/units sold for 2021 ?

I don't think we will ever be able to find out revenue or units sold since we just don't have access to that specific info. However the OP did post concurrent top publishers for both (only the top 100) and it is Valve at 1,781,405 concurrent players and MS + Bethesda at 292,285.

However just as the OP then afterwards stated. These numbers are incredibly skewed to Valve right now because of timezones and should be much closer in about 6 hours. I also think they will definitely be higher up (in terms of concurrent players that is) once stuff like Starfield is released.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Indeed I should have said "Steam" not PC as a whole. As for Valve vs. Microsoft, I believe it's not so easy. Valve has the two biggest and consistent games by players on Steam with Dota 2 and CS:GO, but when you add all the hits Microsoft has released this year (AOE4, FH5, Halo) and the back catalog (FH4, Halo MCC, Flight Simulator, Sea of Thieves), I'm not so certain Microsoft will be behind Valve in revenue/units sold for 2021 ?

EDIT : and yeah I forgot that but we are not even seeing Minecraft here.

Yeah, Valve beats Microsoft easily on Steam regarding concurrent users (1.8 million versus 380 thousand), but in terms of revenue I suspect the difference not to be that big.