• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What's 'action' in your book? Investment in IP's and studios for next gen? Games for 2018/2019?

Playground has opened a new studio for a new game, Studio Gobo has opened a new studio (Electric Square) for a MS game. Isn't that 'action' ?
Rare has doubled in size, 343i, The Coalition and Turn10 have grown. Undead Labs has grown.
Playground isn't a MS studio? The action is showing what they are investing in, we've been hearing for years how first party is important and they are investing but nothing came out yet.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The guy has been saying how heyre investing in games and whatnot for YEARS. Actions speak louder than words and so far they leave much to be desired on this front.

No need for all that, Phil has done a great job since he took over at placating us hardcore Xbox fans.

th

Scalebound-Xbox-One-1000x600.jpg

phantom-dust-remake.jpg

Fable+Legends.jpg

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
Glad phil thinks he has time. Probably would be better off going over and buying some developers who have things in the works. Especially some Japanese developers who seem to be hitting it out of the park recently. Right now they are at second console on everything coming out...soon probably behind the switch if there are not careful.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Glad phil thinks he has time. Probably would be better off going over and buying some developers who have things in the works. Especially some Japanese developers who seem to be hitting it out of the park recently. Right now they are at second console on everything coming out...soon probably behind the switch if there are not careful.

You prefer them buying devs? I don't understand why people want MS to buy all kind of developer studios. Let them build and let them work with partners.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That's why Phil Spencer said at E3 they're only going to announce games 18 months away. You won't see any game launching beyond 2019, you won't see 2020 or 2021 games.

Nothing you see at E3 will get cancelled.

Your comment isn't related to what I implied. Fable Legends was nearly complete as was Scalebound to my understanding, they simply didn't want to give up more time to get them right so they pulled the plug. PD, I honestly don't think they ever intended to release it and just lied through their teeth for an announcement win based on the story behind that one.

MS had a lot of hope and wonder going into this gen, all of the above were a big part of that at some point or another. When Sony and Nintendo announce something 'too early' that usually just means it takes a long time to release, not that it never will.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worry is that it feels like all of this investment may bare fruit NEXT generation. Not this one. It's been the same line for a few years now.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a glitch in the Matrix?
I think the glitch is here. Not every tweet, positive or negative, associated with this dude needs to become a thread.

The worry is that it feels like all of this investment may bare fruit NEXT generation. Not this one. It's been the same line for a few years now.
I think that's probably exactly the case. BC, all this work on older games, doing everything they can as far as setting up what their next console will most likely do is the plan atm. They've seemingly been in "stop the bleeding" mode for a while.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Besides investing in games, teams, IP, etc, develop cutting edge new hardware so that the next Xbox is not merely a mid or upper mid-range PC, but truly something special. Custom silicon is exciting, and coupled with the ease-of-development, APIs, tools, etc which MS are good at, get developers to swing back to making Xbox the lead platform. It probably means investing a lot more in AMD, but that's okay, Microsoft has the money and perhaps it is in their best interest to help prop up and bolster Radeon Technology Group. Otherwise Nvidia will even further solidify their domination more permanently.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Playground isn't a MS studio? The action is showing what they are investing in, we've been hearing for years how first party is important and they are investing but nothing came out yet.

Many of Microsoft's games have traditionally been contracted out, even dating back to the days of DOS.

I don't think it matters whether it's first or third party. Game output should be the primary concern.

But I digress, the company is investing in Xbox. I'm not sure what you are exactly looking for.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Probably right. People have pretty much called this Gen in favor of Sony, because nobody will catch them. It all resets come next Gen and I can sense MS know that and are already moving. At least we know MS will have a capable BC option.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Phil can say whatever he wants but the second Microsoft as a whole is chasing some other hot new short term trend it all goes back down the toilet.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Many of Microsoft's games have traditionally been contracted out, even dating back to the days of DOS.

I don't think it matters whether it's first or third party. Game output should be the primary concern.

But I digress, the company is investing in Xbox. I'm not sure what you are exactly looking for.

They want Phil to announce Fable 4 on Twitter.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is like a ship with a hole in it, thats slowly sinking.

The captain keeps saying, "We are working on closing the hole!". Right up to the point where the ship hits the bottom of the ocean.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
I've been saying to friends for a few months now that I think MS will blow everyone away this E3, just based on the past 2 or 3 E3 showings, nothings been shown besides Sea Of Thieves, what if in the past few years hes been getting together studios, groups of people, and new teams to focus on new IPs.

The Xbox One X is out, GamePass is out, Xbox Live is thriving......my point is these are 3 of the 4 major factors to do with the Xbox Brand, and we know everything about them now, the missing puzzle piece is games, and 1st party games most of all, this could be the E3 they bring em.

It's a fools hope I know but it just makes sense to me otherwise MS will have nothing to talk about, really hoping they bring it.

It's gonna be great to see what the Big 3 bring to us gamers this year.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This is like a ship with a hole in it, thats slowly sinking.

The captain keeps saying, "We are working on closing the hole!". Right up to the point where the ship hits the bottom of the ocean.

A ship with 2.2 billion revenue per quarter and a growing amount of users. And a captain that has just got promoted.

Wasn't scalebound canceled? Or is that the joke? I honestly stopped paying attention to anything coming out of MS's PR

That's the point of his brilliant post.

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I just don't see MS investing a AAA budget in anything not name Halo Gears & Forza.

I shouldn't feel that way

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Nintendo to MS these days:

DearColorlessChameleon-max-1mb.gif

I mean, MS seriously need to up their game in the first party department, sadly it will take time even though they need it now. Crackdown 3, SoD2 and a new Forza Horizon ain't conna cut it for me.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
They've done it in the past. Especially with Xbox original. All those games just never worked. They got Rare that pretty much didn't do anything. Grabbed by the Goulies. All sorts of high profile games, proper attempts. They threw around a lot of money.

But the big sellers were always third party. Quantum Break. Another earnest attempt. It's not that easy to just create teams or good games.

I'm sure they will try again. But its going to be expensive. Sony is on a decent roll.

switchitter

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
They probably have at least one or two killer apps in the pipe, but are smart to not release them on a system destined for last place. And no matter how you slice it, whether you add the Xbox One family into the eighth or ninth generation, it is finishing last behind either PS4 or Switch in install base.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is this shouldn't be an issue they're having right now. They're more than halfway through the consoles lifespan. This should be the moment where there's a constant barrage of amazing games coming from them. Having a slow start or end to a gen I can get but it's like they literally skipped a generation despite having hardware on the market.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Every time Phil Spencer says something on Twitter, it's (apparently) news.

To be fair, games wise, there's not much else for Xbox fans to talk about at this moment in time so, any little scrape of news is news.

They had Sea of Thieves last month, State of Decay 2 in May and Crackdown 3 is coming as well.
There's actual stuff lol

Yes, and that's the problem. I and many others simply don't care about those games.

This is such an incredible and powerful trio of quote posts. I'm absolutely perplexed. Just cannot fathom how perfect this chain is.

God damn. We can dismiss shit because "well I didn't like it." Is a perfectly acceptable excuse on this forum.