• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Job postings found.
The Microsoft Global Gaming Partnership & Development or GGPD is a division dependent on the branch of Xbox that seeks precisely strategic alliances.

• The place of residence is not fixed, it requires Tokyo, South Korea or Shanghai.Also Redmond.
  • The purpose of this regional team should be to close agreements with potential partners.
  • The candidate will be the representative of Xbox in the territory.
  • You should deal with studios and developers to detect opportunities.
  • He will be in charge of several people.
For the description of this offer, the GGPD team destined for Asia, should start as soon as possible and streamline the processes, so it follows that Microsoft is in a hurry to advance work there. At present it is Chris Charla or Phil Spencer who has to close deals there, now there will be a team and a more dedicated figure.

TL;DR: Basically Microsoft is making a new Xbox division/team in Asia dedicated to seeking partnerships, opportunities and strong relationships with Japan (Tokyo cited), Korea and China for Xbox.
https://generacionxbox.com/division-japon/

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I think Korea is an easy win for them since they've already got the PUBG partnerships and how PC gaming is pretty healthy

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. If I'm reading this right..this new division will be similar to Shannon Loftis 2nd party dev publishing division but will instead be focusing on finding partners in the Asian market. I actually been waiting for them to do something like this. Partnering with devs in these regions can only mean good things for fans who crave such content on Xbox and also for Game pass. MS seems to be really going all out.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Saw this news pop up on the MS studios thread earlier, was wondering when someone would make a thread but yeah this is good news, wonder how long before it all bear fruit.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Years too late in my personal case. And i have doubts that this will actually bring MS many dividends due to the ecosystem they have chosen to foster. They tried once before,back in the early 360 days and it didnt work very well despite it earning my user dollars at the time. And now when they are even further along on the path they have decided to travel, it just seems out of place.

Well, good luck to em all the same

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I think Korea is an easy win for them since they've already got the PUBG partnerships and how PC gaming is pretty healthy

They used to have a good relationship with Phantagram/Blueside, I wonder if they could somehow resurrect that partnership. I don't know how well they've been doing on the domestic market, but it's been many years since I least heard of them. The work on KUF2 seems to have really drained them, or at least that's my impression.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I just knew it that by Asia, they mean East Asia.

Still a good news, nevertheless. They probably will expand to other Asia regions later.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Years too late in my personal case. And i have doubts that this will actually bring MS many dividends due to the ecosystem they have chosen to foster. They tried once before,back in the early 360 days and it didnt work very well despite it earning my user dollars at the time. And now when they are even further along on the path they have decided to travel, it just seems out of place.

Well, good luck to em all the same
They tried in the past and they weren't successful but that doesn't stop them from giving it a go now ? Do people forget that there is now something called game pass which MS seems to be pushing lately? With game pass MS devs no longer have to depend on ridiculous sales figures for their titles. It's all about enhancing their offerings by offering unique content for everyone on the service and growing subs.

Ethan Hutn

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
They tried in the past and they weren't successful but that doesn't stop them from giving it a go now ? Do people forget that there is now something called game pass which MS seems to be pushing lately? With game pass MS devs no longer have to depend on ridiculous sales figures for their titles. It's all about enhancing their offerings by offering unique content for everyone on the service and growing subs.
He will be happy if Microsoft just closes the xbox division.

Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully this means Xbox won't be missing out on/getting only late ports of all the new Japanese releases next gen.

There was definitely a moment when stuff like NieR and Nioh were all coming out and skipping Xbox (at launch) that it became pretty clear Japan wasn't even going to pretend to care about the One. Glad they're finally taking these partnerships more seriously for the future

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Phil basically said they're shifting their mindset away from trying to sell consoles in Asia to convincing Asian developers that there's a market for their games in the West that Xbox can help them reach and that Game Pass is an avenue for that. I'd imagine this will be a part of that strategy. Despite their failed efforts in previous generations, there's no reason to expect this will also fail.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
That's right, they can try. But whether it turns out well for them or the developers, i dont really have much optimism about MS on that front.

If they're serious about investing in the region, they will be welcome. The remaining console and PC developers can't really afford to be all that picky.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's unrealistic but I really want them to fix stuff with Platinum. Scalebound would've been a great Gamepass game.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Driveby system warring and accumulated infractions
Waste of time and money. Nobody gives a shit about the Xbox in Asia or even Europe besides England.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully means they can at least get some of the smaller stuff that the other platforms get.
Everyone deserves a little bit of Kazuma Kiryu in their life.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
How about recruiting Tabata to make a new jrpg, eh? Common, Phil.
I honestly think that would be pretty funny. If only because, like, they tried with Sakaguchi (and he's a way bigger/better deal)...

Anyway, I'm all for this as an initiative. The exclusive JRPGs on the system are the only reason I own a 360 (and no other Microsoft console). They just need to figure out a better way of getting their audience into the strong games Japan provides them with every time they strike up one of these partnerships - Games Pass alone isn't enough, though I'm sure it makes producing the games way more financially viable.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I found this job posting yesterday while doing research for an article I was writing, and I found it particularly interesting (it isn't the only one they posted for this area): https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=76b1a69305b9c4f5&from=serp&vjs=3

---
Director, Portfolio, Global Gaming Partnerships and Development

The Microsoft Global Gaming Partnerships & Development (GGPD) team is looking for a knowledgeable, experienced, and passionate leader to lead our 3rd party content portfolio team to identify a diverse portfolio of content investments and partnerships with developers/publishers (who create games on console, PC and mobile) that will make Microsoft the global leader in Gaming.

As Director of Portfolio, you will work with our global strategic partner management and business development teams to identify, assess and make recommendations for content partnerships to support Microsoft's strategic gaming initiatives including for Xbox One, Game Pass subscription, Mixer interactive broadcasting and Gaming Cloud. Your team will be responsible for building, tracking and internally promoting the game portfolios across these various Microsoft platforms and services. Your team will also be responsible for the game concept approval processes and policies across all Microsoft platforms.

Review and select games to be featured in marketing events, such as GDC, E3, Gamescom, Fan Fest, etc.
---

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i hope MS learn from whatever failures and mistakes they made back then. The mistakes MS committed back then was running those asian partnerships and teams with very little difference than their western counterparts.

You don't just come to Asia and do business like you do in the West. There's some nuance involved in doing business in Asia besides throwing money at it.

P.S. Am from Asia, singapore specifically.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Ummmm....about that.

I just knew it that by Asia, they mean East Asia.

Still a good news, nevertheless. They probably will expand to other Asia regions later.
The usual story. Years of neglect from the main 3 console makers and then suddenly this new guy Steam comes along and does everything better. Its much better now but I won't be surprised if they saw what Steam was doing and decided they needed to do something as well.

Waste of time and money. Nobody gives a shit about the Xbox in Asia or even Europe besides England.
It is not about getting people to give a shit now, its about having the things ready for when people suddenly want to give a shit and not turn them away because you can't service those people for whatever reason. You still need to find a reason for them to care about you of course but set the stall out now and get prepared in the mean time.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I found this job posting yesterday while doing research for an article I was writing, and I found it particularly interesting (it isn't the only one they posted for this area): https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=76b1a69305b9c4f5&from=serp&vjs=3

---
Director, Portfolio, Global Gaming Partnerships and Development

The Microsoft Global Gaming Partnerships & Development (GGPD) team is looking for a knowledgeable, experienced, and passionate leader to lead our 3rd party content portfolio team to identify a diverse portfolio of content investments and partnerships with developers/publishers (who create games on console, PC and mobile) that will make Microsoft the global leader in Gaming.

As Director of Portfolio, you will work with our global strategic partner management and business development teams to identify, assess and make recommendations for content partnerships to support Microsoft's strategic gaming initiatives including for Xbox One, Game Pass subscription, Mixer interactive broadcasting and Gaming Cloud. Your team will be responsible for building, tracking and internally promoting the game portfolios across these various Microsoft platforms and services. Your team will also be responsible for the game concept approval processes and policies across all Microsoft platforms.

Review and select games to be featured in marketing events, such as GDC, E3, Gamescom, Fan Fest, etc.
---
So this job is also about parnerships in Asia?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. Microsoft has done a lot to catch up on the Japanese games in the past 12 months or so (games like Nier, Sword Art Online, Ys, etc. dropping on Xbox One were totally granted prior), good to know they're pushing this more and more. Would love to see some danmakus or Asian rhythm games pop up on Game Pass on day 1 - the latter would work especially well with the likely DLC songs earning plenty of money to both sides.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good news, even if it is to bolster thier content for Western markets given they'll never make a dent in Japan, but that doesn't mean audiences abroad won't be swayed by Japanese games, makes the overall package even more appealing.

Lost Odyssey 2 please.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's good. The world is a big place and it's weird there are countries that have almost zero software development presence

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LO2 by Mistwalker and Silicone
Phantom Dust by Grounding Inc and Platinum
Blue Dragon by Mistwalker and Level-5

pls

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I take it this position is being created so that defacto 2nd party PS4 exclusives are no longer a thing such as the Persona series because MS has next to no presence in the region?

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Better late than never i guess. They should have done this during Xbox 360 time. Back then their platform had tons of japanese games, a lot of them were exclusive. I was surprised to see many shmup games on this console, while they never released on PS3.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this thread is off to a great start.

Hopefully this translates into new games.
* cough* Lost Odyssey 2 *cough*