• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Windows Latest

Spotted by us, the patent titled 'Charging device for removable input modules' was filed by Redmond-based Microsoft in 2017 and published by USPTO on July 9, 2019. The patent applications and drawings detail a removable controller for mobile/handheld devices (such as smartphones, tablet computers, portable games consoles).

Controllers-patent.jpg

Input-controllers-patent.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
How can this be patented? It's literally the Joy-Cons, complete with the connecting "grip" in the last image. What's stopping Nintendo from stepping in?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They forgot their homework and had to copy Nintendo's

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I could have sworn we saw this months/years ago from MS, no? Also I eagerly await all the witty comments about 'MS copying', despite there being similar products on mobile for over 5 years now.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
How can this be patented? It's literally the Joy-Cons, complete with the connecting "grip" in the last image. What's stopping Nintendo from stepping in?

Because Nintendo may be for a specific device while MS' solution is for any type of device...it all really depends on the wording of each companies patents.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Sony has been patenting this for years. I really hope they nail a comfortable and capable final design and release it alongside Dualshock 5 for PSVR 2.

If done right, I think this is the next step for controllers.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dub them...the Fun-Pads*.
*Original name do not steal

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they're considering something like this to be a companion to their streaming service, so you can use this modular controller well with whatever device you plan to play on.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Someone would copy Nintendo sooner or later. Let's hope Microsoft's version brings some improvements, if it ever hits the market anyway.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Will be nice to stream xbx games to my phone when the gf is hogging the TV!

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
You can't patent concepts. Something like "controller device that attaches to a screen" is vague and unpatentable.

Patents should be for specific working things, and only devices that copy multiple specific elements of a patent would be considered to be breaching a patent.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I can see the logic of having one controller that can be used across all Xbox/Xcloud platforms but I just don't know how good they'll be. Balancing a tablet with a controller on each side isn't the most ergonomic solution, plus I imagine it'd knack after a bit.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Patent expert here. This is not currently a granted patent, just an application. Edit: nevermind, this has been patented. The OP confused me for a sec.

But it can most definitely get patented if some of the specific features in the claims are different enough from Nintendo's joycon patents.

EDIT2: The real answer here is that this patent application is a continuation of another application filed in 2014, which I believe is before Nintendo's joycon patents were filed.

Sunny

Oct 25, 2017
would it be possible for sony to make a phone that can dual boot. one partion for android and the other for w/e the hell vita uses?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how good MS has become at creating sturdy hardware and comfy peripherals, I would expect them to create something amazing for mobile play.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony has been patenting this for years. I really hope they nail a comfortable and capable final design and release it alongside Dualshock 5 for PSVR 2.

If done right, I think this is the next step for controllers.

Yeah I could have sworn I saw SIE patents for this concept years ago.

I'm strangely confident that DS5 will incorporate this design especially since they need a break-apart design for proper VR controls.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Surface Go with an Ipega controller:

sIZTbR5.jpg

That controller doesnt fit larger devices though. With this patent you could attach to any size screen. Surface lineup goes up to 15 inches. Thats a MONSTER portable.

I love it

Oct 27, 2017
Surface Go with an Ipega controller:

sIZTbR5.jpg

That controller doesnt fit larger devices though. With this patent you could attach to any size screen. Surface lineup goes up to 15 inches. Thats a MONSTER portable.

I love it
I have an Ipega Red Knight (9087) and while the concept is super cool the high input lag makes it very very disappointing