• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
They thought of that
www.pcworld.com

Windows 11 won't update with some apps installed

A preview version of this year's big Windows 11 update has a list of apps that block its installation, including a few popular surprises.
XDA-Developers has spotted examples of users uninstalling StartAllBack, updating the operating system, then reinstalling the program with a renamed executable file.
god himself will not stop me from getting my Small Taskbar

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I got one yesterday when restarting my series x to go look at sale items. Had to bypass via "no thanks" just to get to my home screen and play a game.

Well that's obnoxious. Though I guess to be fair, PlayStation, Switch, and Steam all do something similar.

With PS, it starts on the explore icon and shows sales, new games, etc, but also it's a quick tap to the right, press X, and you can start your game.

On Steam you can turn all that off though and have it load right into your library of games. I think Switch also lets you turn off that "what's new" screen that occasionally shows up? But I'm not sure.

Either way, I'm not a fan of ads intruding into every damn thing I do. Can't even open a menu now without getting hassled lmao

Well, they are expensive but my last macbook lasted me 11 years and is still usable today (though apple stopped giving it updates, not sure about security updates but it doesn't support the newer OS's). I just used the no new OS to push me into buying a new one (Honestly I love tech/computers so a computer lasting me 11 years before I cave to updating it is pretty damned good. Plus I finally could get the black laptop I wanted <- always wanted it in black and way back in the day you paid extra just for the color, at least this time the extra comes with tech upgrades too).

One of the big things that would stop me from switching to Mac is how poor the repairability and upgradability is for their laptops.

Can you even do storage space upgrades yourself anymore? Or is that soldered onto the board?

MrCuddles

Oct 28, 2017
So far so good, but I don't really use the same things on it as on the main machine. Gaming is the obvious, and it keeps getting better from what I'm hearing, but I'm more worried about music - especially real-time stuff like amp sims.
Nothing stops me from testing stuff in a dual boot, I guess. Especially having a CPU upgrade planned giving me an occasion to do it.

You should definitely try it out. I don't do any ambitious music production but I've been running the windows VSTs for neural amp modeler and guitar rig 6 through Yabridge in Reaper on Ubuntu with good results.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I ever even look at the start menu. Press button, type, enter.

To be clear, I still think this is dumb. Is it in all versions, or just Home?

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
You should definitely try it out. I don't do any ambitious music production but I've been running the windows VSTs for neural amp modeler and guitar rig 6 through Yabridge in Reaper on Ubuntu with good results.

Cool. Yabridge doesn't have any IK Multimedia VSTs mentioned in the compatibility issues section on their Github, but D16 Group stuff sadly is. Still, good to know the latency is good enough for amp sims.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I only use Windows for my gaming PC for games. I use Mac OS for everything else. No doubt MS will keep digging in further with this stuff.

Hopefully Linux will eventually be the main OS for games at some point. With proton we're so much closer to that. Mainly some incapatable games, workarounds and anti cheats holding it back.

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022
Not for me I really don't like the default start menu and taskbar so I use start11 to replace them. Unlike startallback and explorer patcher it doesn't use legacy code so no problems with 24h2.

Last edited:

Cartwynd

Sep 14, 2023
At the risk of coming off a bit extreme. Advertisements in a general purpose operating system are one of those most evil things you can do in tech. The people that would make a decision like this are either bad people or complete no-nothings who should not have this job and the entire structure put in place to staff the company failed. Probably a bit of column A, column B etc.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
At the risk of coming off a bit extreme. Advertisements in a general purpose operating system are one of those most evil things you can do in tech. The people that would make a decision like this are either bad people or complete no-nothings who should not have this job and the entire structure put in place to staff the company failed. Probably a bit of column A, column B etc.

And here's me thinking it's things like racial profiling software, weapons and malware. Adverts worse than any of that? How about vmware's 10x price hike?

Microsoft's stock is 3x in the last 5 years.
Windows adverts are garbage but the company has been and continues to be extremely successful.

If they shouldn't have a job, then what's your criteria for a profit making company lol

Cartwynd

Sep 14, 2023
And here's me thinking it's things like racial profiling software, weapons and malware. Adverts worse than any of that? How about vmware's 10x price hike?

Microsoft's stock is 3x in the last 5 years.
Windows adverts are garbage but the company has been and continues to be extremely successful.

If they shouldn't have a job, then what's your criteria for a profit making company lol

How does one even respond to this?

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of the big things that would stop me from switching to Mac is how poor the repairability and upgradability is for their laptops.

Can you even do storage space upgrades yourself anymore? Or is that soldered onto the board?

Everything is soldered on nowadays so no you can't. I'm with you here, I've used Mac OS for years and quite like it but I don't need a laptop at the moment and would prefer to buy one that doesn't have everything soldered (I know that Apple is far from the only one doing it though). Also Linux is way better for gaming than Mac OS is.

I was already planning on switching to Linux already because of things like this. I think nowadays basically everything I want to do can be done on Linux.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
doesn't ubuntu share its search with google or something? is that the only one

They used to have Amazon search built into the app drawer search. This was like, a decade ago (back in the Unity days) and I'm not aware of them doing anything like that these days, but I haven't used main version of Ubuntu in ages.

They still get controversies for stuff like Snaps and how they handle that, but not selling data AFAIK.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
Check out the ethical software OT to move away from crap like this

www.resetera.com

Ethical Software & Services Alternatives |OT| "Are you saying Boo or are you saying Boogle?" Tech/Gadgets - OT

This thread is for providing ethical alternatives to software owned by companies with not-so-ethical practices. It's also an expression of hope, that something better can exist, that we don't have to accept monopolies and exploitation. This thread was created because I have the knowledge. It...

oh cool, totally didn't know about this thread - thanks!

Way back in the day, Canonical foolishly shared desktop search results with Amazon via some sort of partner deal. It has since been removed from modern Ubuntu releases.

That said, I still don't trust Canonical or any corporate distribution for that matter. I recommend anyone considering a switch to Linux to look into community-built distributions instead. Debian is my top pick, but there are others such as Arch if you feel you require more bleeding-edge software.

They used to have Amazon search built into the app drawer search. This was like, a decade ago (back in the Unity days) and I'm not aware of them doing anything like that these days, but I haven't used main version of Ubuntu in ages.

They still get controversies for stuff like Snaps and how they handle that, but not selling data AFAIK.

Ubuntu was the Linux golden child for a while (a long time ago), but they've lost a ton of good will recently. On the flip side, Debian has gone from "stodgy old distro" to an all-around winner that I'd put at the top, too. I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition on an old Macbook and it's also a fantastic option.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

Nope, that is how Apple gets ya. Buy the computer you want for the next few years cause you aren't upgrading it. To be fair, you can connect an external drive and while that's a little awkward, mac, unlike windows, doesn't care where an app is to run it (coming from Mac it boggled me when my husband told me that no, I can't just put applications on whatever hard drive I wanted, I had to pick one).

But yeah, Apple makes sure that their "cheap" version is not future proofed at all (and if you upgrade ram, you'll find you are better off just buying the next grade up). The cheap version is just there to give appearances of an affordable version, and for people like my parents who don't use their computer that much and just need an internet machine.

It's a trade off. But if you have the money, imho it's still worth it.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This apparently started yesterday rolling out to people. Make sure you go disable it.

I think I said in this thread, but honestly I'll probably just install Arch on one hard drive and generally use that more, mostly booting Windows just for games that I use special hardware for.