• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Next month gamepass is going to be great for me.
I finally get to see what all the fuss is about for Hellblade and ORI. On top of that I'm stoked to play mutant year zero

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that physical to digital program comes to life. Been having fun with Tomb Raider Underworld and I looked up the prices for Legend and Anniversary. $20 digitally lol. Fuck that.
Stupid question.....

When a game is listed as "console launch exclusive", that basically means that it's a timed exclusive (ala ROTTR), correct? Thanks.
Yes. I suspect most of these console launch exclusives are because Microsoft will probably invest in these games and let them publish on PC as well. I assume Sony investments would require PS4 only launch. And I am sure the early access stuff has a lot to do with it as well.

Anyway. Yes. Console launch exclusive means exactly that. Exclusive to the Xbox One Console during the game's launch.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That sales pitch xD I expect big things from them next generation. Somebody could make a thread about that actually if they wanted to.

Mike Ybarra - He (Mike) said we basically went in there to those companies and said: "what project do you wanna make?" And they are like "what's our budget?" And he's "I don't think you understand, that's not our question, our question is what games do you want to make? We are Microsoft and we have the budget, we just want to know what game you want to do, what are your wildest dreams".

Gotta admit. This gave me chills haha wtf.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I suspect most of these console launch exclusives are because Microsoft will probably invest in these games and let them publish on PC as well. I assume Sony investments would require PS4 only launch. And I am sure the early access stuff has a lot to do with it as well.

Anyway. Yes. Console launch exclusive means exactly that. Exclusive to the Xbox One Console during the game's launch.

Okay. Appreciate the info. Thanks.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
I really miss Shannon Loftis, I wish she'd show up somewhere and talk about games again...
Does she changed her position at MSGP?

Yeah. The Coalition and The Initiative.
That's their official and registered names. The is also another word, unless is just an article and doesn't say nothing.

They're named The Coalition and The Initiative, not Coalition and Initiative. So they are in the order under "T", not "C" and "I". Without The these names would look and sound somehow "naked".

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
So after dealing with the same 32" TV for about 10 years (and buying it off a mate so it's even older than that), I've finally splurged for a decent TV. It's 4K, HDR, bloody everything. It'll be brilliant (when it arrives).
Now the problem is that having a TV that should be in a museum has been a good excuse for sticking with my OG One. Now that 4K etc aren't just something I can read about on Era, upgrading to an X (or even an S I guess) seems like a good option. But, should I just hold my horses for next gen? 2020 seems pretty realistic right? I reckon I can last that long.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Ok it's not the best studio in the world but their riddick games and the syndicate were cool, plus pay day 2 sold well on steam, so could work for the expansion on pc.
I know that there are far better studios to buy but for what it cost it may be Worth a shot.
A pay day like game on gamepass? It could work

I think it'd be smart to grab them. They're great developers and have good creative ideas from the games I've seen them come out with.

ktzvs

Nov 26, 2018
To give you an idea, Microsoft could, right now, fund 1,700 AAA games at once and never see a loss. This is why it's nuts MS hasn't been flexing their financial muscle. They could do so much more.
Exactly!!!!! Microsoft is closee to beating Apple as the world's most valuable company too. No one can stop them!

Apr 6, 2018
Always a waste of a interview when he isn't asked about jp games.

Cool the team is still committed to OG RC tho
it's sad that the rights are so difficult to find
On 360 after ff13 trilogy what big games remains to bring on bc?

While this is all true, we have to remember that H5 is running on an engine that is far past its prime. It doesn't take a stretch to suggest that if were H5 built on a modern engine perhaps fewer "tricks" would've been neccisary. That said, if the OG xbox version of H:I needs to run distant animations at 30, so be it. That's better than running the whole game at 30.

As far as H5s playspaces, Im thinking it was more of a design issue than a tech issue. Some of the areas in H5 were truly massive, but dotted with walls and corridors where previous games might have had open spaces and inconspicuous cover.

I'm thrilled for the potential of wildlife. But will they be a constant part of the simulation- as plentiful and vital to the gameplay as an NPC in GTA? Or will they be set peices with the occasional dynamic encounter? I'm betting it'll be the latter.

Yeah, I think they'll be able to handle this.
The engine used for h5 is the same used for 4, not an ancient one. For 4 it was almost a completely new engine

So interesting bit, I was listening to a podcast with Boogie2988 and he was referencing a chat he had with Ybarra about the acquisitions. He implies the studios were asked what kind of game they wanted to make, allegedly they asked what the budget was, and MS reply was "I don't think you understand, we're MS we have the budget, whatever game you want to make you get to make."

5:40

Hyperbolic speech by Ybarra or Boogie
i think that would be a huge mistake. Crackdown is gameplay above all. Narrative isn't a focus and never will be. Joes area of expertise..... narrative. He should be leading a huge franchise. The man is a world builder. He can immerse someone in a world. That's not crackdown. Crackdown is kill some gangs, collect orbs, and have fun it's not where you would go for a deep and sophisticated story.

Joe should be leading a franchise like halo, mass effect, Deus Ex, fallout, dragon age. Franchises like these.
Joe should do what Joe desires. Simply many developers are tired of big triple A franchise and want to do something more unconventional even if smaller
I think that had Forza Horizon 2 been developed soley for the Xbox One, it could have looked/performed better.
Fh2 was developed only with x1 in mind and it was ported by sumo digital botching almost everything
Y'all think the Flood is coming back for Infinite? I mean we had Flood DLC in HW2, and the Flood infested MCC. I would like to see what 343i does with them (in a FPS title).

Covenant+Brutes+Prometheans+Flood+whatever dangerous wildlife on the Halo and we've got quite an enemy selection for Infinite.
Flood will be back according to logic and the lore, they were defeated several times before Born Stellar, aka the oso did act active the ark and rebooted the galaxy.
Z halo or installation 07 was inhabited by old humans with no technology used by one of the three forerunners leaders in his flood experiment in the palace of pain.
So could bring back flood and make them fun.

100% the flood are coming back. So are the Brutes. They teased it way too much with Halo Wars. I think there's a reason they brought those up.

You know... that's honestly what they should do. Ditch the prometheans. Reinvent the flood completely. Refine Brutes. I think there's a lot they could do there.
As I said before if flood comes back in installation 07 they will be extremely different because the flood in the palace of pain were enhanced and modified by the builder of the Halos in his scientific experiments.

I won't read too much in hw2 for returns if brutes because banished are a strongly independent faction. But on the other hand the created conquered most of the known galaxy so they could have brute and human soldiers

IDK about prometheans because of there were several restrictions for their presence on the Halos for political reasons. But the shiny bois are here to stay

Agree 100%. Also atriox is the best villain halo has ever had so it would be a travesty to not have him go head to head against cheif.
This is 100% fake.
Plus atriox has no particular reason to hate John unless he doesn't stop his plan to create his own autonomous kingdom
I wonder if the slipspace engine will be used for most of microsoft 1st party.
To me slips pace would be build around halo and fps like foezatech around cars. There's no reason to create a general engine when there's UE4, unless they want waste money
Based on what I saw in the game engine, it looks very dynamic.

What kind of claim is this?

You saw a video and all of a sudden you think it's a very dynamic engine?
You haven't seen any code let alone gameplay of said engine to make that claim.
Nonsense.

Just because Microsoft has resources doesn't mean that they want to commit those resources to making a "universal" game engine. Not when there are already third party engines out there and then competing with Epic for Unreal Engine...thatll be tough. I could only see them buying an engine like Unity.
This. They will create specific engine when it will be needed like foezatech but there no reason to build an universal engine as ue4

Find it interesting the blame placed on Mattrick and Myerson. Often misplaced imo.

For centralized tech it means you need a centralized technology team. During Mattrick's Era there was a centralized group for gaming where something like this could work. However centralized teams were disbanded as he lost the corporate war games.

The other issue with centralized tech is good luck getting all the engineering directors on board. Don't think people realize the full autonomy MS studios get especially when it comes to technology stacks. MS is an engineering first company so engineers tend to lead the way and enjoy making those decisions.

On top of the fact that would be seen as a very long term investment something Xbox really only got with hardware. It's bigger than acquisitions which can be written off if need be, you're talking about tying your content to a propiatery engine you must keep up to date, train new people on (easier to just hire those with popular engine experience), maintain a new centralized team,etc.

I doubt Meyerson or Mattrick affect this as it would have never gotten to them as no one internally wanted it. It's also super hard for centralized teams to demonstrate business impact within the MS culture so they tend to not last these days.
Pretty interesting
Is Microsoft done with studios acquisitions? Any rumors,news or leaks?
They aren't done.
Next steps may be IO interactive and Turtle Rock

I should clarify myself since I'm getting quoted a lot on a topic in which I have no experience with. Lol

I work in tech but not anything related to game development. Today we're seeing tools that automate a lot of the grindy, time consuming stuff. Basically a drag and drop can replace hours of coding. You can do things today with one person that would've taken many people a lot more time to do 5 years ago.

These monster AAA teams are heavily made up of people who do nothing but code. If you can make coding and testing far more efficient, devs can spend more time on the stuff gamers notice.

For example in my inudstry, sometimes the dev isn't giving the end user the best product they can think of. A lot of times they dream up much better solutions but have to compromise based on time. New advances in tools are creating efficiencies that are allowing devs to output stuff closer to what they dream about.

Back to game development...I see no reason why this wouldn't be applicable in the game industry where so much time is coding and testing. I went chasing squirrels with the Unreal engine. I think it goes beyond Unreal engine or Unity. Stuff I'm talking about could even compliment those existing engines. I've never used them so I wouldn't know how flexible they are.
For msft makes sense to create a new engine for a dedicated genre, not an universal one like Unreal or Unity.
I bet with the increased budgets and resources, we might start seeing more 1P build their own engines like 343i.
343 had always its own engine

I think one of the areas that Sony's 1st party are elite and head and shoulders above the industry (in addition to art and detail) is animations. Gears and Halo animations aren't bad or embarrassing by any stretch...but when you see Sony's first party games, no comparison. What's interesting is that even Insomniac, not known for animations, had great animations in Spider-Man.

Animations go a long ways to bringing a world to life. Hoping that Ninja Theory can spread their expertise.
Because that animation should work in multiplayer context where the developer has less control
We're normally on the same page but I have to disagree with this. Gears 4 hit 1080p on Unreal before even Epic did. TC even added to the engine. Gears 4 looks great on a 1.2TF machine and as a 4k showcase, it's ridiculous. The 1X version didn't get the proper DF treatment so a lot of people slept on what The Coalition accomplished.
Gears 4 was the first big title using UE4, the engine is now way better. Plus in 2016 was one of the best games around

Yup. But it's also important to note Gears has a strong style that whoever is driving Art at the time really pays homage to. You can refine that style but people who aren't drawn to it just won't be. Many people don't really understand purposeful art direction and styles and how that relates to execution no matter the tech stack.

I think MS top franchises can often fall into this bucket for many people.
Definitely heard similar things about Forza as well over the years. Forza Motorsport has a new Art Director who should be settled in so it will be interesting to see if FM sees some distinct style changes in future releases. Just changing how you handle lighting can change the look and feel of a game.
Wait I enjoyed how the games felt with fm7, so what should I expect?
Still surreal to see the Obsidian and Ninja Theory logo there. Amazing times ahead.
Do you see more logos?
Except their leads have all left the studio (formed Machine Games and later Hazelight), it's definitely not the same studio that made Riddick. The leads (founders) at Overkill that made Payday have all left, they are the team making GTFO. Their studio management/leadership is terrible, their last project had multiple delays and was reviewed very badly. As shitty as it sounds... MS would have far more to gain if they closed, buy the IP's and any publishing deals they have. But anyway this studio (most likely closed) has THQ written all over it.
didn't know the machine games part

Yesterday I saw a video that 343 "sneakily" had put the Flood in Halo 5?
Nah HiddenXperia often makes extreme speculations

I think it'd be smart to grab them. They're great developers and have good creative ideas from the games I've seen them come out with.
OH thanks for support

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
it's sad that the rights are so difficult to find
On 360 after ff13 trilogy what big games remains to bring on bc?

The engine used for h5 is the same used for 4, not an ancient one. For 4 it was almost a completely new engine

Hyperbolic speech by Ybarra or Boogie

Joe should do what Joe desires. Simply many developers are tired of big triple A franchise and want to do something more unconventional even if smaller

Fh2 was developed only with x1 in mind and it was ported by sumo digital botching almost everything

Flood will be back according to logic and the lore, they were defeated several times before Born Stellar, aka the oso did act active the ark and rebooted the galaxy.
Z halo or installation 07 was inhabited by old humans with no technology used by one of the three forerunners leaders in his flood experiment in the palace of pain.
So could bring back flood and make them fun.

As I said before if flood comes back in installation 07 they will be extremely different because the flood in the palace of pain were enhanced and modified by the builder of the Halos in his scientific experiments.

I won't read too much in hw2 for returns if brutes because banished are a strongly independent faction. But on the other hand the created conquered most of the known galaxy so they could have brute and human soldiers

IDK about prometheans because of there were several restrictions for their presence on the Halos for political reasons. But the shiny bois are here to stay

This is 100% fake.
Plus atriox has no particular reason to hate John unless he doesn't stop his plan to create his own autonomous kingdom

To me slips pace would be build around halo and fps like foezatech around cars. There's no reason to create a general engine when there's UE4, unless they want waste money

What kind of claim is this?

This. They will create specific engine when it will be needed like foezatech but there no reason to build an universal engine as ue4

Pretty interesting

They aren't done.
Next steps may be IO interactive and Turtle Rock

For msft makes sense to create a new engine for a dedicated genre, not an universal one like Unreal or Unity.

343 had always its own engine

Because that animation should work in multiplayer context where the developer has less control

Gears 4 was the first big title using UE4, the engine is now way better. Plus in 2016 was one of the best games around

Wait I enjoyed how the games felt with fm7, so what should I expect?

Do you see more logos?
didn't know the machine games part

Nah HiddenXperia often makes extreme speculations

OH thanks for support

H4's engine is still a heavily modified halo engine, still targeted 30fps and 360 hardware , and resulted in a loss of much of the dynamism and open spaces halo was previously known for. So, It was already long in tooth when H4 released.The engines lack of scalability becomes more obvious when you compare Halo 5's visuals and performance to its industry competition. It's really no surprise to me they are moving to a brand new engine instead of sticking with Frankenstein.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Joe should do what Joe desires. Simply many developers are tired of big triple A franchise and want to do something more unconventional

This is 100% fake.

[/QUOTE]
No writer ever wants to write something that no one cares about(crackdowns story). The mans been sitting on crackdown for 5 or 6 years I'm sure he is pretty wore out.

And who is a better villain than atriox? Didact? Gravemimd? Guilty spark, cortona? Tartarus? None of them are close to atriox's level. So much cooler and menacing. Atriox would have tartarus's lunch too.

Jan 4, 2018
Grab it and just hold onto it codes never expire
They do expire. I have a 2yr Game Pass code that expires on 31/12/2020 that I can't use for now as I'm set 'till summer 2021 (max is 3 years). Luckily I have all 2020 to use it before expiration
Shannon is around just busy. She's been traveling a bit lately. Few people know she's my "work mom" lol. I think she prefers being low key.
No wonder she prefers being low key. She seems to get so much flak anytime she's interviewed or comments on something
I agree I'd like to see bigger games coming from partnerships, but there's a lot of people that don't realize that without MSGP this gen would've been waaaay worse

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Not exactly Xbox Console related (yet) but its nice to see Microsoft's VR platform getting good reviews. New Samsung Odyssey plus HMD tracking tested.

Now, just needs to be wireless and it will be perfect for next gen.

So much for the: As soon as the controller leaves the fov of the helmet the tracking will be poor posts.

You can break the tracking by leaving the controllers outside of the field of view long enough, but like he says, in a normal usage it's not long enough to compromise

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Just yesterday morning I was talking about the limitations of the Unreal Engine. Obviously I didn't see this video. Lol

Ninja Theory are damned talented. That was crazy. Hope other Microsoft studios can implement this technology.

They will and other studios who are not even owned by Microsoft will use something similar or are already using.

Just like how Motion Matching was developed with Ubisoft, but Naughty Dog also uses that in TloU 2. And it can be used in Unreal too i think.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
They will and other studios who are not even owned by Microsoft will use something similar or are already using.

Just like how Motion Matching was developed with Ubisoft, but Naughty Dog also uses that in TloU 2. And it can be used in Unreal too i think.

I think this is the type of stuff that will lead to the next noticeable evolution in gaming. More so than whatever the next power jump the next consoles and graphics cards provide.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I think this is the type of stuff that will lead to the next noticeable evolution in gaming. More so than whatever the next power jump the next consoles and graphics cards provide.

I have no idea about coding or development, but as a gamer this looks as good or big thing as motion matching.

Anyway that is awesome work from Ninja Theory and I can't wait to see what they give us next

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just an info for german members with a Xbox One. Crackdown is now available for free to until end of November I Germany too. Game just got delisted from an index that prevented us to download the game!

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
If you can get time, check the entirety of the developer diaries for Hellblade. They came up with so many custom solutions to mitigate the lack of manpower and lack of funds.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
343i previously used an engine (Halo Engine) which had been developed for OG Xbox by Bungie then upgraded for use on Xbox 360 (Halo 3&4) and Xbox One (Halo 5). Slipspace on the other hand is actually 343i's first proprietary engine built ground up for Xbox One and next gen hardware.
It is almost certainly still the Halo engine at its core. Major parts of it have probably been ripped out and redone (hence the new slipspace branding), but you don't completely throw away an engine and truly start from scratch.

Bungie likely has the same situation with Destiny.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It is almost certainly still the Halo engine at its core. Major parts of it have probably been ripped out and redone (hence the new slipspace branding), but you don't completely throw away an engine and truly start from scratch.

Bungie likely has the same situation with Destiny.
I don't think they are using any part pf the halo engine. They already did some heavy modifications to the engine for Halo 4 and 5. This time they claim to have built this engine from the ground up. This is their next gen engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.