Status
Not open for further replies.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
This isn't even that big a get lol
You're right I don't even play candy cru....oh wha? They own Warcraft? Okay what ever I don't play that any....huh? Starcraft? Was big in the 90's....eh? Diablo 4 day one on gamepass? Big deal, no way it's not coming to.....gah? Call of Duty?! My grandmother know what call of duty is...

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
How so? Playstation has universally gotten the most support, what transpired was the idea that I will buy a Playstation first and maybe something else second. Is it really that terrible to have Xbox (or PC) as a first choice instead?

People have been very vocal throughout the years (and rightfully so) that Microsoft did not have exclusivbe content they wanted, this led to less marketshare. These games they got were not exclusive content so why will there now be a huge shift and if there is why is it now bad?

I'm not fucking saying that what Sony and MS are doing is the same. I'm saying that these companies don't think on the same level as the sole individual. It's not about your opinion on whether Sony's exclusive practices was so small that it didn't warrant this big of a response. The fact is that MS thought it warranted some kind of response and a company with the wallet of MS is going to go big in their responses. It's absolutely irrelevant what you think is "small peas" compared to "big peas".

I'm more about you guys being so surprised that you didn't see this coming since last generation than it actually happening.

I'm sorry I was being sarcastic, and totally agree with you.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Been checking out this thread periodically and I still don't know what to post of value. I'm kind of shocked.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Think about it this way.

Think back to the last time we had a genuine E3. The biggest shows were always Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and Bethesda. So if Microsoft was allowed to buy EA as well then Microsoft would own basically half of all of the output from E3. All of that would be exclusive to Xbox only. That would basically be the end of console gaming as we know it. We would be a handful of PlayStation exclusives and Ubisoft away from a one console future. It would be the death of competition and most likely the death of innovation as well.

Worst of all Entire IPS could be shelved in favor of the more popular and more profitable ones that Microsoft wants to push instead of allowing the consumer to make the decision of what is popular it will be done for us.

The AAA games that highlight the E3 press conferences have not driven industry growth for the past decade. Especially when you consider that Rockstar, Sony, and Nintendo don't even attend the show properly anymore. Acti-Blizz at the moment is a small handful of large AAA franchises and a lot of ownership rights, market capped by an ugly history of sexual assault & harassment.

Activision/Blizz had already shelved half of their most popular IPs (Starcraft included) because they had no way to monetize them further. Gamepass gets around that issue for a wide variety of genres and budgets.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Still in disbelief. The more I think about it, the more fucked up I think this is. Gamepass is a Mafia.

I prefer the Series X over the PS5, but this ain't it. This is crazy, Halo infinite is already a beat and it's competing with the best shooters in the business. Now they purchase the biggest shooter in the business and that's just one part of Activision-Blizzard. They have ea play on Gamepass as well, shit what's next? Ubisoft subscription on Gamepass? This is super fucked up.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Counterpoint (tongue-in-cheek ;) )
xxxOxXH.jpeg
I went upstairs to do some work and literally just had to do this..Lmao

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Classic perspective by Steve. Holds true today.

Yep absolutely still holds true. Sony does the same thing to a lesser degree, but after buying both Bethesda and now Activision it's pretty clear that Microsoft is more interested in forcing consumers into the Gamepass. Because they are basically one more acquisition away from making Gamepass a mandatory thing for most gamers.

This whole thing is just so god damn depressing.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, an open platform with multiple vectors for sales, ecosystems of customers etc. There MS are keen to support that market as it makes sense to, through many of the ecosystems / stores that align - and integrate their own ecosystem.

PS Consoles, Nintendo are closed systems, and so are Xbox Consoles. To an extent they're pretty much competing in the same level with each other, which is why there is still exclusivity there to drive customers from one locked system to another. Only the IP that previously existed and happens to be so large ends up multiplatform in that sense. I imagine COD will be one such IP.

There is also cloud, which is one of their main efforts, where they'll likely push it as the option for people who are not on any other Xbox platforms, since it is gradually going to be the most accessible through the most devices, high quality and super low cost
Except its not an open platform. Game Pass is a closed platform.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
I don't think the Bethesda acquisition was good for the industry, and I feel the same way about this.

As strong as PlayStation is right now, they could not make any of these acquisitions. These are only possible because MS at large is funding them to make up for their inability to effectively compete in the gaming space.

I really hope Sony pushes the government to block this merger. I'm doubtful they'll succeed, but two major publisher acquisitions is a bridge too far, and I'm sure there are more in the pipeline.

Nov 28, 2017

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
If I woke up to the news that MS had bought Capcom I would fucking shit.
they would have got me.

But as it is, they continue to acquire the most western of western developers. Good developers of course, but ones that I personally don't really care about. I could not give 2 shits about CoD or WoW.

I think that they are kind of buying customers that they already have, for the most part.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
If I woke up to the news that MS had bought Capcom I would fucking shit.
they would have got me.

But as it is, they continue to acquire the most western of western developers. Good developers of course, but ones that I personally don't really care about. I could not give 2 shits about CoD or WoW.

I think that they are kind of buying customers that they already have, for the most part.
All my coworkers who play basically only cod on PS will probably lose their crap lol

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

We won't hear anything and it will go through without any issue.
In and of itself the deal isn't an antitrust issue, and normally it would sail through. Which is still what I expect to happen.

However, I will say that, right now, blocking the biggest ever acquisition by the second largest company in this world who have used the term "metaverse" when talking about their reasons for the deal is has a political element to it that is a bit hard to predict.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Because Apple was built on original ideas and they have never acquired any company. LOL

Microsoft has more money to shop, that's all there is to it.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
Some people arguing that this isn't at all a problem because Microsoft have 'just moved to 3rd in Video Game revenue while PlayStation are 1st' as though Sony losing Call of Duty, the franchise that has been the best selling game on PlayStation platform for the last number of years, isn't going to hurt them at all is some next level silliness.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Yep absolutely still holds true. Sony does the same thing to a lesser degree, but after buying both Bethesda and now Activision it's pretty clear that Microsoft is more interested in forcing consumers into the Gamepass. Because they are basically one more acquisition away from making Gamepass a mandatory thing for most gamers.

This whole thing is just so god damn depressing.
saltiest gaming? Lmao

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
One good thing to come out of this might hopefully be MS finally putting Blizzard out of it's misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.