Status
Not open for further replies.

bickieditches

Aug 5, 2018
Not closing until June 2023? That's one of the longer periods I've seen - Microsoft is really looking towards the future then, because I doubt we'll see most of the effects of this until 2025 at the earliest.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
For me, this feels like
Xbox = Netflix
PlayStation = HBO

It's huge news, but doesn't really affect most of the stuff I play

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
That's pretty unlikely. CoD has been CoD for years, people will sell their PSs and buy Xboxes for it.
I know you really want CoD to still come out on PS but it's not going to happen.

Warzone isn't going to go anywhere. I don't play CoD anymore but all of my friends that do only play that at this point. The yearly stuff will probably go Xbox/PC only but I feel like less and less people care about that every year now.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Something I've always wondered is what the threshold is between "I had a hunch"/"there were rumours" and actual insider trading? Not familiar with any of this stuff and I don't know if absolutely watertight proof is needed to investigate/prosecute.

Former regulator who did this exact work - its EXTREMELY easy to prove.

Like, anyone who pulled the trigger on this with knowledge is extra fucked.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of revenue generated by that game alone would require an uplift in Game pass subscribers that will take MS a couple of years to build.

In the medium term there's no financial benefit to removing COD from PlayStation as you won't have the new subs you need to cover the loss in revenue from the lost PlayStation sales and you've lowered the cultural relevance of the worlds biggest shooter franchise because much less people can access it.

COD's going to be on PlayStation until about 2025 for me.
MS aren't doing this for the medium term. You don't gain subs by releasing things on your competitor's system.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Rod Fergusson is forever tied to MS. He'll never escape.

dnwkmVm.gif

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of "consolidation is bad for the industry" but not a lot of why consolidation like this is bad.

ATVI was clearly a toxic company when running solo. Microsoft has shown that they're willing to be extremely consumer friendly. Where does the "consolidation is bad" come in?
I don't think this level of consolidation worries me. But as a general principle, consolidation is bad because it gives consumers less power to choose amongst competitors and results in higher prices in the long run.

A huge example of really harmful consolidation in the United States occurred with telecom companies. In my city, NYC, every single apartment building has a choice among (at most) one or two companies for cable and internet. If the industry weren't so consolidated, that choice should instead be more like 7-8 companies - each of which would need to try and offer you the lowest possible price to get you to sign with them.

People are worried here that if Microsoft acquires Activision Blizzard that their choices for publishers are going to dwindle over the long run, and Gamepass is going to get very expensive as time goes on. It's a valid concern, but premature so far.

There are so many other publishers out there. This is big, but still kind of just a drop in the bucket.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is time for Sony, Nintendo, Square, Capcom and Sega to assemble into a mecha to fight the Microsoft juggernaut.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel like Nintendo's not all that affected. Not like they were getting huge/meaningful Activision support.

Well most franchise is on switch from them. (Diablo 2, 3, overwatch, crash, ...)

However, i feel like nintendo has a much much better relationship with microsoft than sony does.
Like the banjo game on the virtual console or games like Ori that doesn't exists on playstation?

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we're gonna look back at this in 5-10 years and wish it didnt happen..

Meh. I remain largely indifferent to this. We'll all have multiple ways to consume these games. Even should MS acquire studios I actually give a damn about, it'd suck, but I'd just have to start seriously considering getting a gamepass sub on a PC at some point. I'm not locked out of anything.

Apr 25, 2020
This timeline is now so insane that I honestly wouldn't be surprised to hear Sony is going after Nintendo. Yes I want to watch the world burn.

joker-everything-burns.gif

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it. Sony/Nintendo should just buy SE/Sega/BN/Capcom. True East vs West battle for supremacy.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
They won't stop publishing on Sony platforms. They won't leave all that money on the floor. Most likely the timed exclusivity that PS enjoys now goes to Xbox/PC and a 6 month wait for PS.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
If the goal is to move those people over to your platform or subscription service, then yes, it is. You would have to pay developments costs to make a PS5 version of the game in addition to the Xbox and PC version. That means more out of pocket costs.

Microsoft wants you to play games on either a Xbox or Gamepass, they don't want you to play games on a Playstation.

Right now CoD's largest non-PC install base is PS4 users. Per 2021 NPD, CoD Vanguard was the 2nd best selling game on a Sony platform. For December, CoD was the 1 and 3 entry on the Playstation charts. Any sales of the game now go into Microsoft's pockets. They're not going to get rid of that to maybe sell some Xbox/GP subs. I think we'll see Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo go exclusive first, and wouldn't be surprised of Overwatch 2 was exclusive, but CoD will make MS more money as a multiplatform release for the short term. We're years away from it being exclusive, if at all.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
regarding consolidation, did people forget what happened in the 2000s?

square and enix merged. sammy and sega merged. bandai and namco merged. activision and blizzard merged. ea bought bioware. acclaim died. midway died. atari died and then was bought by infogrames and infogrames became atari in accordance with the santa clause.

the age of consolidation happened. we are living in the future of the age of the industry consolidating.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
This forum loves to poo-poo the idea of anyone else acquiring big publishers because of the boogeyman of "consolidation." Well, it's here, and you're all wanting Sony and Nintendo to unilaterally disarm to keep it from happening. It's happening, and MS is the only one doing it. Time to not poo-poo the idea of others doing it to compete.
They don't have the money to compete in the acquisition race.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Am I trippin' balls? Have I read too much Era acquisition fanfiction that it is now haunting me in my dreams??

I am dreaming, right???

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I think it would be really shortshighted (and stupid) to kick your PS CoD playerbase to the curb. My guess is that it will remain multi-plat or that MS is trying to get GamePass on Playstation.

Depends on if you have money to burn for a few COD releases to see if it pays off. And it might not be for 2 or 3 releases in any case.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Nah but really, if it is between Tencent or Microsoft, I'd rather MS get this. Something tells me Tencent was on the sidelines rubbing their hands together like the birdman too... Microsoft SAVED US.

🙃

On another note, does Sony have the capital to acquire Square Enix? They've been partners for years and as I remember it, Sony owns a small, tiny portion of square RIGHT NOW to this day? Nobody better complain if Sony does after this lol!

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
MS solution to exclusives is to just buy the old 3rd party stuff as opposed to fostering creativity and building relationships

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Fucking wow. So this really is the future. Who's going to be next? Square? Take Two? Ubi?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just annoyed because I feel like in lieu of making strong new IPs MS is just buying everything now possibly taking away games from others not on their platform.

So, if you're MS and you are sitting on a literal mountain of cash:

Do you invest hundreds of millions betting on new IPs which may fail to drive sales of GamePass or Xbox or to sell at all?
Or, do you buy up existing IPs that are already printing money, will drive GamePass and Xbox sales, and that already have a huge (and loyal) userbase?

Whether you like it or not, this is a brilliant play by MS.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't think it can given Microsoft's track record and doubling down on this. They would take massive, massive good will hits if they reversed policies on Game Pass or tripled the price, or whatever. I don't get what scary unknown reality people are so afraid of by this single acquisition.

Company policies change - see the multi media push during the generational change from 360 to One. Mattrick destroyed all the good will of two generations in a few precious moments.
Phil Spencer will not always be the head of XBox. Maybe another 10 years who knows, but at one point that dude is gonna retire. Who knows what will happen next. There might be a point where they go "fuck this" and close down most of their owned gaming studios again.

Remember the early Netflix days where they had all the content at a great price - that sure didn't last either. Prices will surely increase. That's a given. When and how much, who knows, but they won't stay like this.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the process of aquiring a Japanese company a nightmare for foreign companies? I remember reading about that years ago.
It is, which is why So y may have the advantage there… Not that I want it to happen for either them of MS.

Likewise, Nintendo are never going to sell. For starters, Nintendo own the majority of their own shares and they have absolutely no reason to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.