nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never really understood why they existed in the first place. At least in our malls in Dallas, they were always empty compared to basically any other store.
I assumed they were more for marketing presence than an actual cash generator. And tbh the stores they've left open are probably good enough for that.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually very sad, I got my laptop there and had a decent experience. Trying things in person is great, since spec sheets and reviews only get you so far with PC shopping.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if it was the same in every Microsoft store, but whenever I went in the one near me I was constantly hounded by employees. I never wanted to browse in there because it was always a barrage of questions and sales pitches.

Oct 29, 2017
That's a lot of jobs gone. Makes sense as the store didn't make sense to me. There wasn't a lot of lower cost items that the likes of dell, hp provide. Seemed like a glorified Xbox store. I took part in the vive or oculus test there and it was fun.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Mildly bummed about this; felt like they were the best place to buy the higher-end products (One X, Elite Controller)

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I feel bad for everyone affected.

I wish I went there!
It was a cool place. Had a hololens experience there as well.

AV9tWDLl.jpg

JdgfwuNl.jpg

pJqyUMfl.jpg

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this sucks

Was nice to walk in one of their stores and grab a surface from their Christmas sale after fedex lost mine in the mail. Won't be able to do that at Best Buy

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
What a shame. I used the Baybrook location here in Houston a TON to get Surfaces and attachments and all sorts of shit for work. It was a hell of a lot easier than trying to find someone at Best Buy to help me out.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer, I like going to the stores for customer service. Had good experiences exchanging a broken xbox One X there about 6 mos ago.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's telling that most people's stories about these stores involve getting customer service or snagging an overstock bargain. Neither of those things is really what a retailer would consider a success when they're measuring the performance of a physical store.

Oct 27, 2017
They had a kiosk area at the mall I occasionally go to outside a Macy's. It was pretty rare I saw any customers looking at anything.
I went to the one at Bellevue Square, near Microsoft's headquarters, a few times and that seemed fairly busy and was a large store rather than just a kiosk.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
I've been to a few and had positive experiences. I know the article dances around it, but there will certainly be layoffs. My heart goes out to all the employees losing their jobs in an already difficult climate for retail and unemployment.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Is Microsoft still focusing on any private customer focused products aside from Xbox?

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, sucks. Their deals were pretty good whenever they had some.

Right before the new xbox too

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Oh, the 4 experience stores as listed above are still working as showcases but not retail. Looks like the rad stuff in NYC stays.

Oct 28, 2017
My surface pro pooped the bed out of the blue around a year ago. Took it in to the Microsoft Store the same day and they swapped it out, no questions asked. It always sucks to lose options, and for the employees involved but it looks like they're all staying on which is fantastic!

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of funny, I was in the middle of the hiring process for the store closest to me. The last call I got from the recruiter about a week ago she said the retail stores were doing great and growing. 🤔

disappointing.