• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
In a new interview published on Spanish site Xataka, Director of Program Management for Xbox Series X Jason Ronald said that Microsoft could have easily used the same approach to reach a higher theoretical TFLOPS figure, but that would have made it harder for developers to optimize their games.

We focus on optimizing the developer experience to deliver the best possible experience for players, rather than trying to 'hunt' down certain record numbers. We've always talked about consistent and sustained performance.
We could have used forced clocks, we could have used variable clock rates: the reality is that it makes it harder for developers to optimize their games even though it would have allowed us to boast higher TFLOPS than we already had, for example. But you know, that's not the important thing. The important thing is the gaming experiences that developers can build.

The Microsoft executive also suggested that the mere I/O speed of the Xbox Series X (which is inferior to that of the PlayStation 5, according to the official specifications) doesn't tell the full story.

Things go beyond the numbers that we may or may not share. Sampler Feedback Streaming (SMS) allows us to load textures and makes the SSD drive act as a multiplier of physical memory that adds to the memory that the machine itself has.We also have a new API called Direct Storage that gives us low-level direct access to the NVMe controller so that we can be much more efficient in managing those I / O operations.

www.xataka.com/videojuegos/entrevista-a-jason-ronald-xbox-series-x-no-creo-que-consolas-vayan-a-desaparecer-pronto

www.wccftech.com/microsoft-we-could-have-used-variable-clocks-for-xsx-but-were-not-interested-in-tflops-numbers/

Sounds like Microsoft is being gracious.

Be gracious to me if old.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
In the DF video the dude specifically said he was tasked with getting 2 times the graphical power of the One X model. Question mark?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Clickbaity article title but interesting info on the I/O side. I'd say Lockhart would probably give devs extra optimization work if lowering the res simply doesn't do the trick.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Odd title. They're saying that they want to make it as easy for devs as possible, and going the variable clock route would make it harder for them.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
He's not wrong, but the title is not as tight as it needs to be. Using the PS5's clocks would put the Xbox Series X at 14.8* teraflops.
*(52 x 2 x 64 x 2.23)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
He's not wrong, but the title is not as tight as it needs to be. Using the PS5's clocks would put the Xbox Series X at 14.8* teraflops.
*(52 x 2 x 64 x 2.23)
Indeed. They looked like the One X at a number they wanted to hit and tried to hit that. Looks like the same with Series X. Size of the console came in factor for sure also.

Dec 8, 2018
I mean we have developers claiming the PS5 is the easiest console ever to develop on (including XsX) so it does not seem devs have a problem with it.

And the last part about the SSD is a software solution and nothing that will bridge the gap since PS5 have much more hardware on top of software.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmmm, would this be something they could "unlock" later down the road? (Like Nintendo did with the Switch)

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 received much well deserved praise for the simplicity of the design and how developer friendly it was. And the results showed! It seems more and more that the roles are reversed this upcoming generation.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clickbait title, MS knew they had an advantage so they went with a better architecture instead of boosting their numbers.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I can only imagine what the XSX Teraflops number would be if it had PS5's high clocks..but then of course the cooling would probably be an issue.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
PS4 received much well deserved praise for the simplicity of the design and how developer friendly it was. And the results showed! It seems more and more that the roles are reversed this upcoming generation.

I imagine you are taking your own conclusions to say something like that, right ?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that both consoles are super developer friendly not just the Series X.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you might have a point of we didn't already have devs saying the ps5 is the easiest to develop on.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so now teraflops dont matter.

Good to know.
giphy.gif

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think it would be that controversial. The PS5 has a new paradigm around designing for power consumption. It isn't as simple. Not to say you can't achieve amazing results, but it is new.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't plan on getting an XSX, I am very impressed everytime I read about it. Surface team seems to be knocking that shit out of the park.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I didn't understand this part of the wccftech text:
The Microsoft executive also suggested that the mere I/O speed of the Xbox Series X (which is inferior to that of the PlayStation 5, according to the official specifications) doesn't tell the full story.
Jason (the interviewee) is an important person in the development of XSX, he is praising the device he is working on, and in an area that on both consoles is still a bit nebulous, I do not think that Jason's idea while praising the XSX I/O Solution was to say that "Numbers don't say everything" as this part of wccftech's text suggests.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that both consoles are super developer friendly not just the Series X.

I mean you might have a point of we didn't already have devs saying the ps5 is the easiest to develop on.
Well you see, it depends on whose saying it.

The developers that said it about PS5 dont count, for obvious reasons.

That post was wild, lol.

looks like someone read the thread title and not the content.
Clickbate title did its job

We could have used forced clocks, we could have used variable clock rates: the reality is that it makes it harder for developers to optimize their games even though it would have allowed us to boast higher TFLOPS than we already had, for example. But you know, that's not the important thing. The important thing is the gaming experiences that developers can build.

I dont see the issue with my post.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong. They're saying that the GPU difference is comparing the typical, expected performance of the XSX in all use cases to the theoretical, best-case, highest-clock speed of the PS5? This sounds like the GPU is slightly more pronounced than that "18%" figure that people throw around. Even with 12+ TF, they're saying that they don't care about TFs and that it was never their goal to inflate that figure.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I mean we have developers claiming the PS5 is the easiest console ever to develop on (including XsX) so it does not seem devs have a problem with it.

And the last part about the SSD is a software solution and nothing that will bridge the gap since PS5 have much more hardware on top of software.

They didn't mention bridging any gap. He simply stated the numbers you see don't tell the fully story of their solution. They seem confident their choices will carry them through the generation just fine...even if Sony has what they have.

Oct 19, 2018
It's pretty simple - Xbox had a performance level they wanted to hit without things like forced clocks or variable clock rates in order to provide a constant level of performance to make it easier for Devs. TFlops matter in the instance that they had a high number in mind and hit it; if it were purely about TFlops they could have used those other things to boost the number further, but didn't because they were comfortable with the number already.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty simple - Xbox had a performance level they wanted to hit without things like forced clocks or variable clock rates in order to provide a constant level of performance to make it easier for Devs. TFlops matter in the instance that they had a high number in mind and hit it; if it were purely about TFlops they could have used those other things to boost the number further, but didn't because they were comfortable with the number already.
giphy.gif

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It only seems that way if you're not paying attention.

Sure, can you tell me another OS that has developers swap between different power profiles based on what resources scenes require? It is a new paradigm.

It will enable some incredible things from first party, but for third party games I think it is going to be just another hoop that devs have to jump through.

Status
Not open for further replies.