• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Headline is copy-pasted from The Verge.

"Our intent is to make our Xbox Game Studios PC games available in multiple stores, including our own Microsoft Store on Windows, at their launch. We believe you should have choice in where you buy your PC games," writes Xbox chief Phil Spencer in a blog post announcing the shift in strategy. The move follows Microsoft's decision to publish its upcoming Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam.

"We will continue to add to the more than 20 Xbox Game Studios titles on Steam, starting with Gears 5 and all Age of Empires I, II, and III: Definitive Editions," Spencer explains. "We know millions of PC gamers trust Steam as a great source to buy PC games and we've heard the feedback that PC gamers would like choice."

news.xbox.com

Our Approach to PC Gaming - Xbox Wire

We believe the player should be at the center of their gaming experience and be able to harness the unique benefits of the devices they choose to play on. Nowhere is that belief more important than on the PC. As the creators of Windows, we have a unique responsibility to ensure we’re investing...

Last edited by a moderator:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic news.

If they can make their store experience better, and more competitive, I'm open to using it. But they have a lot of ground to make up there, so it's great to have their games on Steam in the meantime.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone deliver a truckload of crows to me? I gotta eat quite a few, as I've kept doubting Phil's commitment to PC. Kinds surreal.

anastiel

Banned
Mar 14, 2019
news.xbox.com

Our Approach to PC Gaming - Xbox Wire

We believe the player should be at the center of their gaming experience and be able to harness the unique benefits of the devices they choose to play on. Nowhere is that belief more important than on the PC. As the creators of Windows, we have a unique responsibility to ensure we’re investing...

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Mr. Spencer
I commended your efforts with the Xbox brand for years, but chorttled at your undelivered promises of PC support.
Now sir I applaud you for your extended approach to spread the Xbox gaming brand, and for giving me the opportunity to share the joys of RARE gaming goodness with my friends and family.

obama%2Btoast.jpg

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the whole Gears series, and not just 5, finds its way to Steam. Loved the first one, but never had a chance to play the others.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
MS are essentially jumping into the store wars with this as all games should now have the option of being released on the hopefully revamped W10 store by using gamepass as a carrot.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Are all first party Xbox games gunna hit steam? The age of empire games, halo mcc, and gears 5 all steam. All their newest games.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Figured this was coming after the XBL integration with the MCC. It's all about that MAU and Steam is a great way to expand on it in a big way.

Gears 5 and Halo Infinite are going to be biiiiiiig.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
MS must be so confident in Game pass to the degree it let its exclusives be on Steam

Yea, I think that's the right move for them though. Give options. Like for me there's only a couple games I want from them currently so I will go the steam route, but if they are able to bring over gears 1-3 to PC and it's on gamepass along with Halo, fable, and whatever new games coming out from new studios it's hard to say no at that price for Gamepass.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
About time. Fuck UWP. Forza Horizon 4 runs like crap on my machine, and since it's a locked down app and you can't access the files and config I have no way to poke around and see what the problem is, and no way to run it in exclusive full screen (something tells me that would fix my issue)

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Was saying last year that I suspected this would happen. Reading between the lines of what Spencer said on top of Nadellas philosophy with other Microsoft products. Nadella is leading a very different Microsoft brand. Can't tell gamers that they intend to meet the gamer where they're at while ignoring Steam.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance UWP. Just like GFWL, you deserved to die.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
The answer was so simple all along, but I'm really glad they're doing it. I bought Quantum Break and Gears 4 on the Windows store and the experience was.... not amazing. Playable, but Steam is infinitely better.

Really glad about Gears 5, and I've been wanting to get into Forza, so hopefully that comes over as well.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is turning their PC initiative around hard, this is really good stuff. With UWP gone, I have no real beef with the windows store anymore.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao they failed with UWP
Pls god just put all your games on Steam or GOG or other actually working stores

Seriously. I have bought a few games on MS store (Forza, Gears, Sea of Thieves). It is such a piece of shit. I had to reinstall Windows at one point because it refused to download my games. Just gave a generic "shit won't work" message. And by the looks of my googling, I am not alone. Fuck that store.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really, really enjoyed Forza Horizon 4 but I've had so many issues related to the Windows Store I stopped playing it once I got a new PC. Simply didn't want to deal with it.