• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality headsets are all having discount on Amazon right now and they are all in the low $200+ price tag (cheaper than HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and even PSVR) , full package (controllers included)

They also run those several thousands of VR games on Steam

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
None of these will be price matched by Best Buy or anyone else, as far as I can tell, because it's all "fulfilled by amazon" and not sold directly by amazon.

I'm not gonna be able to afford 'em, but how do they compare to regular VR headsets? Like, if I woke up tomorrow and somehow had $200+ to spend on a Mixed Reality headset, would I want to, or would it be better to wait on the Vive to drop?

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Just so everyone knows, they are great headsets, it's just that not every game is made for them and you can run into some issues with them because of it.
Otherwise, it's room scale VR without having to deal with setting up cameras. Go for it if you've got the hardware.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're pretty damn good, unbeatable for the price.

If you can swing $350-400 for a Rift, the controllers and roomscale tracking is really nice.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't recommend these. I get abysmal performance and stuttering on pretty much every game. Considering my specs (16gb ddr3, i7 6700hq, gtx1070) and the frequent complaints on the WMR Steam Community, it shouldn't be the case and the WMR SteamVR driver seems to be the culprit.

I don't know if the experience is any better on Vive or Rift but I hope to god it is. Otherwise steer clear and get a PSVR IMO.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am a regular on Era and follow tech news and had no idea Microsoft had even launched this. This is a surprise. I now need to research the tech as I know next to nothing about it aside from it being kind of like Google Glass - right?

Wow. Bomba I guess.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I am a regular on Era and follow tech news and had no idea Microsoft had even launched this. This is a surprise. I now need to research the tech as I know next to nothing about it aside from it being kind of like Google Glass - right?

Wow. Bomba I guess.
You're thinking of Hololens. This is just VR with tracking based on internal sensors as opposed to external cameras or base stations. The technology is amazing and it works great, but unfortunately the SteamVR drivers are horrible. I think it has potential but it's certainly not good enough as a PCVR consumer product right now IMO.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You're thinking of Hololens. This is just VR with tracking based on internal sensors as opposed to external cameras or base stations. The technology is amazing and it works great, but unfortunately the SteamVR drivers are horrible. I think it has potential but it's certainly not good enough as a PCVR consumer product right now IMO.

Ah OK, thanks for the clarification.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping the Rift will get to $199 by next year. I might bite at $299 this year, but still have to pay $80 shipping to get the thing to me.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah bomba, Samsung is the only one that's desirable I guess. Incidentally I'm part of the problem and now I'm still waiting on a deal for the Samsung...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I pulled the trigger last night thanks to this video, though my expectations are still 'cautious'. I've never even tried VR before but my wife has been wanting to try VRchat, so here we go.

I checked and my Motherboard does have Bluetooth 4.0 so I should be fine there.

I got a 4770k, 16GB of RAM, and a 980Ti. Hopefully that should be good enough for VRchat and Beat Saber whenever that comes out.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I just got our Lenovo headsets (we went with Acer at first but changed to Lenovo after some research; better FOV and eyeglasses accommodation). My wife is fucking blown away right now. She has never experienced anything like this before. The tracking is great too - I was worried about the inside-out tracking but it's working perfectly for us.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
£285 for the Acer headset shipped from amazon US to the UK. Tempting but not sure if they're global warranty