• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
My first playthrough of Persona 5 Royal took me 170 hours. Don't think I've ever gone that long without going really deep into optional side content.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head, Metroid has had a continuous story since the first game and that pre-dates Tekken. I'm sure there are other continuous stories that have been running longer than Tekken as well.

I remember a thread about it back when Dread was announced and AFAIR, Metroid was the only one that unequivocally predated Tekken, without qualifiers.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
AC: Valhalla. Pretty sure that game took years off my life, even though I gave up after 80 hours.

I agree. Was having a great time for the first 30 hours, then it was a chore

Didn't finish it

Such a shame, cool setting, combat was fun and all, but holy shit there was so much repeated content and totally empty open world.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
The 100% speedrun world record for Baten Kaitos on the Gamecube is 14 days

so probably that

Kotetsu534

Dec 31, 2022
Quite interesting how modern design is moving towards letting players choose how long their gaming experience is. So many recent big releases like TOTK, Elden Ring, BG3, Rebirth are much shorter if you just want to beat the game, but it's understood the average player won't do that (but nor will they try to complete everything in the game). While something like P5R has a different design where the player will have to spend c.100+ hours on the game unless intentionally speed running, so completion times will be more tightly bunched across its playerbase.

Kraehe

Mar 9, 2024
Alrest
i would say Pathfinder Wrath of the rightous. In realtime mode on PC it took me around 180 hours to finish, and that was before all of the dlc's were released. On console, as far as i know there is only the turn based mode which takes way longer for each fight to be finished.

Wouldn't be surprised if you can scratch 300 hours on consoles

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
the world record Speedrun for Persona 5 Royal's true ending is 14 hours 23 minutes. I'm curious what games have a longer speedrun than that

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked HLTB and the longest singleplayer games according the average playtime seem to be Pathfinder: WotR, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and The Witcher 3 (all a bit over 130h).
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is definitely the longest game I've played, Steam says 250 hours and I only did one of the DLCs. it took me years to beat! I did play in fully turn-based combat mode though. Witcher 3 would be the next longest.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Vanilla P5 took me like 120 hours to beat. Extra 20 hours to get Plat cuz of the requirements iirc.

P5R was short in comparison. Took me 80 hours to Plat that without the need of NG+.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta be Persona 5.

*Checks HLTB*
Hmm its technically Persona 5 if you don't count the simulator games.
Skyrim, Witcher 3 and AC Valhalla could technically count with their complete editions. And I think depending on difficulty and play style Elden Ring and Baldur's 3 are probably right under them.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How are people spending 150+ hours on Persona 5 Royal? The game is rather linear and even on Hard mode, it only took me around 90-100 hours. Where's the extra 50 hours coming from? Are you just maxing out your levels and getting every single persona?

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
BOTW took me like 200 hours to do all shrines and the main story, and some other stuff (nowhere near all Korok seeds). That's probably my personal high.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
man, I almost understand feeling annoyed by Persona 5 Royal's length, but I was vibing so hard with that game that I wanted it to last forever

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
it has to be Assassin's Creed Valhalla my god that game NEVER ENDS.

i honestly thought it was a joke at some points, it just kept throwing me new areas and whole new (pointless) story arcs when i was SURE i'm about to beat the game. i wanted to cry, so many times..

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Idk, The Witcher 3 is the longest game I think I've ever finished, and that safely passes the 100 hour mark, especially if you include DLCs.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
man, I almost understand feeling annoyed by Persona 5 Royal's length, but I was vibing so hard with that game that I wanted it to last forever
I adore the (intentional? Unintentional?) double meaning of "Take Your Time" on Persona 5's loading screens.

On one hand, it's a reminder to chill out, appreciate the social life sim stuff, don't try to cram too much in or slog your way through marathon game sessions. It's fine, play the game at your own pace, take your time.

On the other hand, it exactly parallels "Take Your Heart", the mission statement of the Phantom Thieves. The meaning is clear: This game is going to take all of your time.

fe2e20be452313015a52c01322303fc8.jpg

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite single player, but FFXIV's MSQ is easily pushing 300 hours now, and the vast, vast majority of it can be played alone apart from Trials (8 player boss battles) and the Crystal Tower raids.

I think the true ending for the Idea Factory PSX dungeon crawler Spectral Tower is like 600 hours long or something.

View: https://youtu.be/p-skIBPWOPE?si=tZIoJnOBjQbL6wRF

This may be the actual answer if you don't add any qualifiers to "longest campaign." I made a thread about this topic before and decided to specify that it should be mostly unique human-authored content, because otherwise you get stuff like this.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
How are people spending 150+ hours on Persona 5 Royal? The game is rather linear and even on Hard mode, it only took me around 90-100 hours. Where's the extra 50 hours coming from? Are you just maxing out your levels and getting every single persona?

I wound up with 120 hours or so in vanilla P5, but I got stuck in a dungeon at one point and also liked to chill in mementos.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Persona 5 Royal's main game is really long - it took me around 95 hours to beat (fast forwarding most dialogue - the speed allowed me to read it anyway, such a great feature). I can definitely see how it blows out to 140 without using FFWD.

Yakuza games' main stories aren't ever that long (even IW would only be 50-60 hours if you mainline it), but I always spend double or more that in them for side content (the real main game) - my timer in IW is at 199:50...

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Put well over 100 hours in games like Persona 3/4/5, Xenoblade 1-3 and the legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 1-4 & Reverie

Just "finished" Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie with 127 hours and still have some trails doors to finish.

Xenoblade 2 has me at nearly 200 hours but I remember the timer being borked for most of it

Xenoblade 3 is around 140 hours

Edit: Assassins Creed Odyssey has a ridiculous amount of content before you even get to the dlc! I'm well over 100 hours in that and haven't even touched the dlc.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
It terms of a really dense and non-optional content, the longest single player campaign would be Persona 5 of the games I've played. Royal would make it even longer! Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and The Witcher 3 would be the next two.

I've put a lot of hours into other games (Skyrim, Dragon Age: Inquisition, various Fallouts, Persona 3 & 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2), but their main questlines are a lot shorter.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I adore the (intentional? Unintentional?) double meaning of "Take Your Time" on Persona 5's loading screens.

On one hand, it's a reminder to chill out, appreciate the social life sim stuff, don't try to cram too much in or slog your way through marathon game sessions. It's fine, play the game at your own pace, take your time.

On the other hand, it exactly parallels "Take Your Heart", the mission statement of the Phantom Thieves. The meaning is clear: This game is going to take all of your time.

fe2e20be452313015a52c01322303fc8.jpg

I'd like to believe all of the companies trying to break even on big budget JRPGs are aware of what they are now up against; day one players in a rush to the next thing, GaaS models, endlessly replayable multiplayer modes, and then "evergreen" games like Skyrim of all things that have warped the value of $60.

"Take your time" in that context is a tongue in cheek acknowledgement that you'll enjoy yourself more if you slow down, but the game (like the Phantom Thieves) will absolutely hold up its end of the value proposition.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Getting me to complete even a 10 hour game can be difficult sometimes (even if I like it!) so the fact that I beat a 100+ hour game twice is the highest praise I can give.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Dont play enough games to say for sure. But l did all the paths of 3 Houses, and I'd argue that's needed to truly get the whole story, and that took ages.
If you add up all four routes of Three Houses as all being part of the main story it probably has P5R beat, but it feels like a mad endeavour to actually do that. I got less than halfway through my second playthrough before giving up.