• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
this game is incredible and it holds up extremely well.
It's also perfect for those who consider newer racing games to be too easy/lenient on the player. You have to work your way up from zero here and it's fairly difficult from the get go.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
this game is incredible and it holds up extremely well.
It's also perfect for those who consider newer racing games to be too easy/lenient on the player. You have to work your way up from zero here and it's fairly difficult from the get go.

And by the same token, I think if you do have a feel for it, it rewards skillful (or lucky) gameplay without too much "artificial" difficulty bullshit, at least from what I've played. Classic Need For Speed titles often cheated so much it made actual wins feel empty, but this strikes a good balance (even when you can tell the game sometimes "gives it to you" at the end of some events).

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's ok since for that gen there were actually a lot of games that couldn't even reach 720p, and then there were less than reach 60fps!

Either 4k or 60fps would do!
Don't get me wrong 60fps would be great. However we still don't know if the BC team's current techniques and methods to double the framerate will work on 360/OG Xbox games.

We do know that the BC's team's techniques and methods to increase the native resolution of select 360 games does indeed work and has already worked on that generation's Rockstar engine with Red Dead Redemption.

So my wish is a bit more realistic than yours is. 😛

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong 60fps would be great. However we still don't know if the BC team's current techniques and methods to double the framerate will work on 360/OG Xbox games.

We do know that the BC's team's techniques and methods to increase the native resolution of select 360 games does indeed work and has already worked on that generation's Rockstar engine with Red Dead Redemption.

So my wish is a bit more realistic than yours is. 😛
Whatever the case is, I just want to them enhance it!

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played for a bit but was kinda miffed about not being able to purchase DLC so I refunded. I'll just pick up a complete edition disc for a few bucks more. Really fun game though (with the camera set to static).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I played for a bit but was kinda miffed about not being able to purchase DLC so I refunded. I'll just pick up a complete edition disc for a few bucks more. Really fun game though (with the camera set to static).

What DLC are you trying to grab? AFAIK, the Complete Edition already includes everything that was ever released.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You were playing using a disc? I could've sworn I read that a regular disc version will download the Complete Edition through BC for you to play.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh nooo! I misread, I guess.

I went to the store page and tried to nab the DLC but it said unavailable. No, I was not playing on disc.

brb buying again.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any advantage to putting custom aesthetic parts on your car like bumpers and rims? Can you get more rep in a race if your car is has more custom stuff on it?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If you're playing this, PLEASE turn off camera shake in the settings.

It's a horrible effect here. Feels so much nicer without it!

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If you're playing this, PLEASE turn off camera shake in the settings.

It's a horrible effect here. Feels so much nicer without it!

Yes! I was surprised at the difference

I'm starting to get back into the hang of how the game controls.

I really hope they can get a fps boost patch out for it. Racing games at 30fps feels weird

Also, fuck the police in this game lol just let me get to my race, dude 😔

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly a bit confused that the listing is still up, and even more so that the sell page was corrected and updated to allow purchases using the modern web interface.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Or go with the superior camera view, cockpit.

I was just about to post asking if anyone actually plays the game in cockpit.

I tried for a few races after getting the hang of the handling again. It is incredibly difficult to use that view. You need too much situational awareness in this game and the cockpit limits you too much IMO.

If it was in VR it might be a different story.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Wow, it's still up. Last time this happened they delisted it again within hours iirc. Same thing for MC2 on Steam.

I wonder if it's intentional this time?

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yes! I was surprised at the difference

I'm starting to get back into the hang of how the game controls.

I really hope they can get a fps boost patch out for it. Racing games at 30fps feels weird

Also, fuck the police in this game lol just let me get to my race, dude 😔
The police are the second worst thing about the game, ignoring the world's worst adaptive AI. Literally the worst.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So with the game being re-listed for this long was it on purpose? I wonder if we can expect a enhancement patch one day?

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
It sucks that the DLC wasn't relisted.

Would have liked to have gotten some of that.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Breath of fresh air tbh. I feel like the races are actually challenging and they don't let you comeback/win.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Bought it, I always buy things people recommend here lol

Will give it a try, know nothing about this game. I had no idea that Rockstar made a racing game 😂

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. Ok. I was a PC gamer before the PS4, so I missed a lot. Or did they release them on PC, too? Anyway, I'm always ready for some nice racing action.
Only Midnight Club 2 got released on PC, and it was on Steam for a bit but got removed. And yes, try these games, they are so good!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
How do I get a low rider? It seems like I am doing low rider dlc races but I haven't seen anywhere to get one, abd I have a mission to complete 6 races using a low rider

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
i haven't played MC 3 in over a decade, and i dunno what the complaints are this is still so good in 2021
Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition Remix is a work of art.

Midnight Club Los Angeles (The fourth one) had many flaws.

The two biggest were the cop cars and the AI. But I believe in later patches, they turned it down a little, but didn't completely fix them.

The cop cars around the city that made it a HUGE waste of time if you got caught trying to go to your next event. If you learn to watch the mini-map, you can avoid them.
The adaptive AI, however, is one that will completely fucking wreck you the longer you play in a subtle way you don't notice until it's too fucking late.

So, let's explain the adaptive AI algorithm:
1) If you come in first, the AI becomes a little more difficult on the next race
2) If you don't, it becomes a little easier on your next race.

That's the entire gameplay loop that adjust AIs. But there's a HUGE FLAW in that logic. Restarting a race. All the other MC games up until this one didn't have the 'adaptive AI' which meant if you looked like you were going to lose, you just restarted the race and did that until you mastered the course and won.

Except in MC:LA, restarting the race has NO bearing whatsoever on the AI. Which means if you play MC:LA like all the other MC games, all you EVER do is win, according to the logic to adjust the AI, which means after a few hours of gameplay, it's ludicrously hard. Every. Single. Race. And you're wondering if the other cars just got better parts than you.

It took way too long for players to figure out this bug. Because the idea of "just lose the race" to make the game easier wasn't even a thought that occurred to us.

You have no idea how frustrating the original release of the game was because of that design flaw. Couple that with the cops chasing your ass down all the time, and it was completely disappointing.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition Remix is a work of art.

Midnight Club Los Angeles (The fourth one) had many flaws.

The two biggest were the cop cars and the AI. But I believe in later patches, they turned it down a little, but didn't completely fix them.

The cop cars around the city that made it a HUGE waste of time if you got caught trying to go to your next event. If you learn to watch the mini-map, you can avoid them.
The adaptive AI, however, is one that will completely fucking wreck you the longer you play in a subtle way you don't notice until it's too fucking late.

So, let's explain the adaptive AI algorithm:
1) If you come in first, the AI becomes a little more difficult on the next race
2) If you don't, it becomes a little easier on your next race.

That's the entire gameplay loop that adjust AIs. But there's a HUGE FLAW in that logic. Restarting a race. All the other MC games up until this one didn't have the 'adaptive AI' which meant if you looked like you were going to lose, you just restarted the race and did that until you mastered the course and won.

Except in MC:LA, restarting the race has NO bearing whatsoever on the AI. Which means if you play MC:LA like all the other MC games, all you EVER do is win, according to the logic to adjust the AI, which means after a few hours of gameplay, it's ludicrously hard. Every. Single. Race. And you're wondering if the other cars just got better parts than you.

It took way too long for players to figure out this bug. Because the idea of "just lose the race" to make the game easier wasn't even a thought that occurred to us.

You have no idea how frustrating the original release of the game was because of that design flaw. Couple that with the cops chasing your ass down all the time, and it was completely disappointing.
Ha, that's a nice piece of trivia, I had no idea! No wonder the game got so hard by the end, lol.

Did they ever fix that?

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Funny how that's 'trivia' now, but when we all got the game, it was a psychotic attack as only some of us found the game getting stupid hard and others had no problem.

I don't believe it was ever addressed. The patches said they did some things, like adding an easy mode or something? The other thing to consider is we're also playing on better hardware AND TVs than we were a decade ago.

Playing it in 480i on a crappy TV with a PS3 is a world of difference than in BC mode on an Xbox One with a modern controller and a great TV.