orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'll miss Persona being a per gen game, lol

The deluge of Persona content since 5 came out is lessening my interest in the franchise ~

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Like a Dragon has kinda been there off and on throughout the franchises life. Like Resident Evil it sometimes misses a year here and there, but pretty much is yearly for all intents and purposes.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I love Persona and Yakuza but I don't think I can stomach that many.

Thinking about it, I don't actually play any annualized games

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
They have skipped years. There was a 5 year wait in between Sonic Forces and Sonic Frontiers (the longest gap between Sonic games ever). Obviously we did get Sonic Superstars last year and Sonic X Shadow Generations this year. But there was a 5 year gap before that. And before that, there was a 4 year gap between Sonic Lost World and Sonic Forces.

There was no Like A Dragon in 2022. No Persona game in 2017, 2021 or 2022.

This is more so just confirmation that we can expect that SEGA is going to launch some kind of game or DLC expansion for these franchises every year going forward.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would say that sounds exhausting, but I guess they've already basically been doing that...

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Hey, you know Sega, P-Persona is the spinoff right haha. Y-You mean that the SMT franchise as a whole will get annualized installments....r-right Sega?

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They have skipped years. There was a 5 year wait in between Sonic Forces and Sonic Frontiers (the longest gap between Sonic games ever). Obviously we did get Sonic Superstars last year and Sonic X Shadow Generations this year. But there was a 5 year gap before that.

There was no Like A Dragon in 2022. No Persona game in 2017, 2021 or 2022.

This is more so just confirmation that we can expect that SEGA is going to launch some kind of game or DLC expansion for these franchises every year going forward.
Lost Judgment got the The Kaito Files DLC in 2022, as well as PC port.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you're counting everything including spin-offs, remakes and DLC/enhanced versions, then since Persona 3 came out in 2006, there have only been 4 years where there were no new Persona games (2010, 2017, and 2021-2022). There have also been a handful of years with multiple releases.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
it makes sense, i would say they're already kinda doing this, if we look at Persona they're already trying to have at least 1 Persona thing per year.

Persona 5
Persona4 remaster ports
Persona5 Royal
then P5 Switch and PC ports
and then Persona3Remake

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza already feels like one but Persona? I guess if they keep releasing bad-to-mid spinoffs. They're gonna run out of ports unless they go back to Persona 1 and 2

edit: god they're totally gonna do Persona Q HD aren't they

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
hey segatlus are any of these yearly persona spinoffs gonna let the casts grow up and go into college and shit? or is gonna be more 6 months later/weird time stop story telling?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
hey segatlus are any of these yearly persona spinoffs gonna let the casts grow up and go into college and shit? or is gonna be more 6 months later/weird time stop story telling?

While I get your point, it would be pretty weird to rely on a spinoff (especially given they dabble in other genres) for that kind of stuff rather than a proper sequel

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
Yeah it's been happening. Persona 3&4 ports, P5 spinoffs, 3's remake, and P5X.

Sonic's had something yearly since Colors Ultimate in 2021, not including the mobile stuff.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
I'll miss Persona being a per gen game, lol

The deluge of Persona content since 5 came out is lessening my interest in the franchise ~

Isn't it just a bunch of spin offs? It seems really easy to just wait a decade for the next mainline Persona if that's your cup of tea, but to my understanding we're still at Persona 5 going from PS3 to PS5 now, with a mainline remake and a bunch of spin offs since.

sderttreds

Jan 6, 2023
Since the release of first Yakuza in 2005, RGG has only skipped years 2007, 2013 and 2022. They already are making them annually.

oh i experienced it and judging by some of LaD8 story thread people already tired of yakuza story, i skipped gaiden and ishin so LJ->Lad8 break feels fresh to me

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the meant the SMT franchise as a whole and not just Persona. Digital Devil remaster any day now...

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm surprised Sega is skipping Sonic & Mario at Olympic this year, it seemed like a tradition at this point.

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
like a virgin annual will lead to franchise burnout

especially when the area is only kamurocho

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021

Strange Journey, Digital Devil Saga, SMT4, Soul Hackers 1 and 2 all have adult casts. Devil Survivor 1 and 2 have adult party members.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Strange Journey, Digital Devil Saga, SMT4, Soul Hackers 1 and 2 all have adult casts. Devil Survivor 1 and 2 have adult party members.
I think they were talking about Persona franchise games not SMT or other SMT spinoffs not named Persona. And criticizing for example, the endless Persona 5 games for not aging up the cast.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not a fan of this. Yakuza / Like A Dragon and Persona don't need to be annual games, it will make them drop in quality and people will burn out on them quickly with them being long game.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Not a fan of this. Yakuza / Like A Dragon and Persona don't need to be annual games, it will make them drop in quality and people will burn out on them quickly with them being long game.
But again.. they already are. The tweet specifically mentions this includes remasters, DLC, and other media. It doesn't mean we would get a numbered Persona or Yakuza every year (and we aren't getting that right now either)

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
I think they were talking about Persona franchise games not SMT or other SMT spinoffs not named Persona. And criticizing for example, the endless Persona 5 games for not aging up the cast.

I mean the only difference is the time management calendar system (Which Devil Survivor 1 and 2 have, and what's more interesting it actually affects the plot) which Persona didn't even start with. Personas are basically demons anyway so there is significant overlap.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
If they're talking new mainline entries for Persona that's a tall order considering current output and Atlus' struggles to remain in the green with current staffing levels

Feb 16, 2022
Yes please. Persona has felt so stagnant for a while in terms of new releases, and LaD has also slowed down significantly compared to how they used to be.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
But again.. they already are. The tweet specifically mentions this includes remasters, DLC, and other media. It doesn't mean we would get a numbered Persona or Yakuza every year (and we aren't getting that right now either)

It sounds like that is what they want for the future though. Like A Dragon now has nearly all their games remastered and playable on current consoles now, so they haven't got much to do with that franchise now, unless they plan on re-re-releasing them all again or start making the new games annual.

At least there are a few Persona games they can go back and remaster / remake still before just making new games annual.

Sonic I care less about these days and that actually could work better as an annual game, as Sonic can have many different styles of games.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I have to assume this is counting smaller releases/spin offs, cause Sonic typically has some kind of release every year and Persona fills the gaps between big number titled with a billion spin offs. LAD has already been pretty much annualized for a long time.

Feb 16, 2022
It sounds like that is what they want for the future though. Like A Dragon now has nearly all their games remastered and playable on current consoles now, so they haven't got much to do with that franchise now, unless they plan on re-re-releasing them all again or start making the new games annual.

At least there are a few Persona games they can go back and remaster / remake still before just making new games annual.

Sonic I care less about these days and that actually could work better as an annual game, as Sonic can have many different styles of games.
LaD still has a bunch of games they can remake using the Dragon Engine if they want to. The cast has also grown big enough with a lot of loose threads that they can afford to make some brawler spin-offs in the vein of Gaiden.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Considering they basically are there already it's to be expected

I look forward to more Persona remakes and them getting to the other Yakuza games

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
I'm in two minds about this. Part of me is excited to have a new top quality JRPG to play every year. But other part of me is thinking will they be able to maintain quality if the franchises are annualized? I think if they are aiming for an expansion/smaller game ala Gaiden every year it'll be more tolerable, at least for me.
like a virgin annual will lead to franchise burnout

especially when the area is only kamurocho
That's one hell of an autocorrect lmao