• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Renowned genre filmmaker Mike Flanagan (The Life of Chuck) is in talks to direct the next Exorcist film for Blumhouse and Universal Pictures, sources have confirmed to Deadline.

Uni and Blumhouse declined comment. Should a deal make, Flanagan would take over the reins from David Gordon Green, who exited the rebooted franchise back in January. Universal and Blumhouse bought rights to The Exorcist from Morgan Creek back in July 2021 for $400M, and while the plan at that point was for at least three new films to be made, it's unclear whether Flanagan would be on for more than one.

Mike Flanagan In Talks To Direct Next ‘Exorcist’ Movie For Blumhouse, Universal

Mike Flanagan is in talks to direct the next 'Exorcist' movie for Blumhouse and Universal, sources have confirmed to Deadline.

That's one hell of an upgrade if it happens.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
So I'm guessing we're going to see Kate Siegel get possessed by Pazuzu.

Seriously though, that'll be a massive upgrade.

JFunky

Oct 27, 2017
California
If anyone can salvage it after that last movie it's Flanagan. Would become a day one watch for me with him onboard.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
While I'd almost rather he didn't waste his time, I do think the market is prime for an Excorcist movie to do huge numbers - so might as well let him swing at it and see if a hit happens.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
This is like Harvey Keitel showing up in Pulp Fiction to clean up Jules and Vincent's mess.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds good, but the devil is in the details.

Interested to see how the whole things progresses.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
He already did it once before too, with Ouija: Origin of Evil!
the first one was so bad i though folks were joking when they said the second one was better

but then you watch it and oh, characters you can care about in scary situations and proper scares, thats all you really need for a good horror flick

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
He already did it once before too, with Ouija: Origin of Evil!
the first one was so bad i though folks were joking when they said the second one was better

but then you watch it and oh, characters you can care about in scary situations and proper scares, thats all you really need for a good horror flick

The trailer for Ouija: Origin of Evil is also kind of amazing:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4eLSCMUaxk

WildImpala

Jan 19, 2022
The Exorcist franchise is actually a pretty great fit for Mike so I hope this ends up happening.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Better give my boy full creative control. Seriously Midnight Mass mixed religion and horror perfectly so he would be a fantastic match.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
200w.gif

Deadline article only mentions him directing but you don't bring Flanagan in and not let him write too.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOO

Holy shit this is like a dream collaboration. A Mike Flanagan Exorcist movie??????

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still surprised they didn't continue with the tv series, was quite good.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
What did they promise him to get him to sign up? Most talent of Flanagan's caliber isn't just gonna show up for damage control of this level.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I may have disliked Exorcist Believer, but I thought it was much better than everything post Oculus I've seen from Flanagan. Not sure what to make of this.

Can't be worse than Halloween Ends tho… right

kowhite

May 14, 2019
What did they promise him to get him to sign up? Most talent of Flanagan's caliber isn't just gonna show up for damage control of this level.

I imagine they gave him a nice paycheck and the ability to direct something where he likes the material. I mean the guy made a sequel to Ouija he's clearly not opposed to making a sequel to a less than well received film.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who believes in Exorcist III supremacy, he could make an incredible movie if they let him fully decouple from the "creepy possessed little girl" angle.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested but the IP is kinda cooked for the foreseeable. Don't they want 3 movies?

It needs a fresh spin. An Exorcist 3 style left turn. Believer wasn't it.

You know what film recently shocked me with the whole demonic angle.

The First Omen which had no right to be as good as it was.

Never would I have wished for a Omen Cinematic Universe but here we are