Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Im just not buying that apology.

If he instantly regretted it why didnt he apologize right afterwords? Was he waiting for a laugh?

You said an idiotic thing, man the fuck up and accept responsibility for it. Dont blow smoke up people's ass. It wasnt instant regret. He had to apologize after he saw the shit storm of comments.

These are the issues that need to be dealt with. Under no circumstance is a black mans murder the punchline for a joke. This shit infuriates me.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
"much-too-soon" means that he fully plans on keeping that joke in his pocket for the future when it becomes "ok" to say again

Sharpie and SonicFox are free to forgive him if they want, but that apology was wack as hell

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit suspect of some of you making comments about Sharpie because she doesn't want to condemn someone she knows way better than all of you.

You can be angry as hell for him saying something royally dumb, but maybe side eyeing a WoC because she was there and has a different take than y'all isn't exactly the best look for some of you as well.
Why would it not be the best look? What if black people did the side-eyeing? Would it be okay then?

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair I have a very dark sense of humor and will joke about things that I myself find serious. I think looking inward though it might be a defense mechanism for me "laugh instead of cry" kinda thing. However I I'm also self aware, I KNOW my words can hurt someone else and if I do make a joke in poor taste or offend someone I apologise and explain where it came from and that I'll avoid doing so in the future. I truly believe nothing is above reproach and should be some thing you can joke about. Especially if your bringing attention to a matter. Most times though you should be a ble to read the room and shut the fuck up. What may be a healing process for me I understand itis not for others. Also if you don't look like me struggling with the issues people like me deal with your "jokes" feel like poison even if in your heart you TRULY didn't mean it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The dead silence afterward is what gives his true intent away. If he didn't mean it as a joke but as a conversation starter and to ring attention to the movement, he wouldn't have stopped talking and waited for a response for 15 seconds. And the only time he brings it up again on the stream is to say that the chat misunderstood him. No other words on it but that.

How is he bringing awareness by saying a soundbyte then clarifying that it was meant seriously and saying nothing else on the matter?
He's been consistent about why he said it and I don't know him personally so I don't want to make claims above my knowledge. But this is part of what strikes me as bizarre about this. If you wanted to start a conversation, wouldn't you make some effort to actually converse? If you thought it was unclear and it didn't land as you thought it did, wouldn't you clarify? If this is bad speaking skills, they're pretty incredible in how bad they are.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are right to be bothered by these thoughtless remarks and they can decide whether or not they accept the attempted apology.

That said, I also think the opinions of those who know the man personally should be, or at least can be, duly considered. Not as an excuse, but as a factor.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think SonicFox means that Mike didn't mean any malice and is actually a good guy who made a stupid joke, therefore I will overlook this one.

This is how I understood it. If your conclusion to this is that hes a racist and his friends are enabling him ... well, maybe, I dont think so, but stranger things have happened

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
That sucks. I don't play it, but hasn't Skullgirls been really good with progressive character representation and fan interaction? I expected better based on my view from afar.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
That's disgusting. How hard is it to show some sensitivity during this time? And friends with friends of whoever accepting apologies quicker than others, what ever works for you. Ain't no rush to forgive.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
"much-too-soon" means that he fully plans on keeping that joke in his pocket for the future when it becomes "ok" to say again

Sharpie and SonicFox are free to forgive him if they want, but that apology was wack as hell
This. There is no sincerity at all in that apology. He's sorry he got caught, not for what he said. It is really disapponting. And yeah, I get SonicFox is a friend and it is hard to stand up against friends, this whole thing is weak as hell considering the dumb apology. It all stinks and I'm quite disappointed.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
The "much too soon" at the beginning of the apology, really, REALLY bothers me. He LITERALLY says the comment would be okay at a later date. Fuck him.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
This. There is no sincerity at all in that apology. He's sorry he got caught, not for what he said. It is really disapponting. And yeah, I get SonicFox is a friend and it is hard to stand up against friends, this whole thing is weak as hell considering the dumb apology. It all stinks and I'm quite disappointed.
Yeah and, I repeat myself a lot but the clip is like a day old. Now that it made the round on the internet he suddenly apologize. "oops you caught me!"
Anyway, I trust sonicfox to keep him in check more than I trust Mike himself to keep himself in check.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I hate that "too soon" thing he slipped in there, which just reads to me like he feels like he wasn't really wrong... just that the "timing" of it was bad. C'mon now. That's what people do when they feel like they have to say something, but they aren't actually sincere about it. :(

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. I don't play it, but hasn't Skullgirls been really good with progressive character representation and fan interaction? I expected better based on my view from afar.

Maybe not so much for the female characters, but aside from that I'd say Lab Zero has historically been pretty good about having a diverse cast that have agency in the story.

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA

That's my take on it. Too Soon? Black people are still getting choked & killed by the police when will it ever be appropriate for a joke like that?

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that he said it was "too soon." If you're white, it's not "too soon." It's never. We never get to joke about this. Not when racism is "over." Never.

How is this hard?

In exchange for literally every other aspect of privilege, we white people sometimes can't say certain dumb shit, even as a really hilarious joke. It's so hard.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Maybe not so much for the female characters, but aside from that I'd say Lab Zero has historically been pretty good about having a diverse cast that have agency in the story.

I feel like two or three times a year since it release I've seen a thread talking about something positive surrounding Skullgirls but my knowledge is primarily based on thread titles as I don't play the game - possibly fuzzy memory as well.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania

I've never been a fan of "he's a good guy" or "he's always been nice to me" type defenses, they only hold water if you are with someone like 100% of the time.

They are free to forgive but I won't be following them

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
How does he think his never-should-have-said-it joke was "much too soon"?

Oct 29, 2017
Man I fucks with sonicfox but nah bruh. Just cuz this white dude is ya buddy n supports trans ppl doesn't mean he gives a fuck about black ppl as a whole.
If this was a trans/gay joke I doubt he would let it slide so easily. Fuck outta here bruh.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Skullgirls finally got into EVO due to circumstances we may never see again in our lifetimes and he goes off and does this.

It's like getting a wide open layup and then kicking the ball into the stands. And then mooning the home fans while flipping them off.

Having black friends doesn't give a person a free pass to make racist jokes. Even if they tolerate it. That doesn't necessarily mean they think it's ok. Maybe they just don't want to draw attention to themselves but it's lame and cringey at best and disrespectful and offensive at worst.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Damn, he dropped the "too soon". He will just say this joke later after the protests, it will be the right time for MikeZ.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
She's dark skin in her tradtional outfit, so that's really the only thing to go from. As far as I know there's no "real-world" countries in the game, most of the takes place in the Canopy kingdom.
There are a lot of dark skinned people who aren't black. What I'm seeing is that she's officially considered the Skullgirls' world equivalent of a Brazilian, including being associated with Portuguese. So, again, that's not that she isn't black, but just that it's not really clear that she is, either.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Damn and I really liked Mike Z, thought he was a great member of the FGC and obv Skullgirls is amazing.

What an absolutely idiotic and tone def comment, so disappointing. What the fuck is going through these people's heads to say so much dumb shit at the worst times...

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Goes to show that people can make inclusive games but not actually internalize racism. Being an ally isn't just a checklist.