Oct 27, 2017
What the hell??? I'm considered a Millennial (born January 1986) but I sure as hell can't afford to buy a home at any price.... I'm totally broke and the income I'm receiving (Social Security Disability) isn't enough to buy a home with.
I don't mean to dismiss your situation but you are a bit of an outlier.

That said I do think it's a disgrace that you're on full disability and still can't afford your own place, your SS disability payment should cover that and then some

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to dismiss your situation but you are a bit of an outlier.

That said I do think it's a disgrace that you're on full disability and still can't afford your own place, your disability should cover that and then some

I fully agree. It can't, I'm getting only $1,011 a month on disability, rentals are $1,000+ a month in the Baltimore area, homes are selling for well above $100,000.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I, and most of my friends, have purchased at least one home by our mid-30s. In the vast majority of those cases though, they (and I) received help from parents/grandparents in the form of down payment or similar.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Early millennial here. Bought my first home in 2011 and am on my second home now. Probably gonna stay in this one unless I get a decent pay bump. Wouldn't mind one with a little more square footage

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I'm also weary about this article - gonna need to see some actual stats/research.
Maybe if they lived with their parents for a while they can afford a house, but even then, just barely.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they're paying off their student loans and suddenly able to buy things. I'm currently paying $800 a month on student loans, once that goes away I know I'll be in the market for a house. (This is on top of rent, car loan, insurance, etc.)

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I think this article is a load of bullshit or it's only about the USA.

Because in Europe, in France at least, this is absolutely not the case. I know I will never live in a house unless I move far from Paris at least.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
sourceutu2t.gif

Bought our first house back in December.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Bought my home last year in Lexington Kentucky and it was fucking nuts. Everything was selling within 48 hours of going up on the market, I put in offers on 5 house before I got mine. I was personally in another 3 houses while my realtor got phone calls telling her the house we were in was just sold for above asking price.
I wish i can move to the suburbs. living in NYC sucks.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
90% of baby boomer that gave me advice to make money like they did was "buy land/houses", not surprising if more are doing it. Seeing more buying a house and renting it outright and then continuing to live with parents, or renting any spare rooms and using that to pay it off, most got alot of "help" fom family at the start, least here in Australia

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't surprising, because sometimes having a mortgage is cheaper than renting an apartment.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Not in Australia. The only person I know who has bought a house is married and got a huge amount of help from his parents.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if most of those people who bought a 300k home were born in the earlier half of the 80s. I was born in 84 and recently bought a home, most of my childhood friends also bought a home in the past 5 years or so.

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I hate how large the Millennial range is. A 37 year old is in a much different place from an 18 year old.

Anyway, as a 36 year old who bought a non-starter as a first home last year, I am part of this statistic. Though most people I know bought houses a few years ago.

18 year olds usually fall into the Gen Z bracket. But yeah it is a fuzzy how Millennials are categorized.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Because in Europe, in France at least, this is absolutely not the case. I know I will never live in a house unless I move far from Paris at least.

Real estate is expensive in the big urban centers of the US too. If you want to own a house/appartment, that's a bad place to be.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right. Bought our house in 2016 (we're both born in mid-late 80's) and since have had 2 other friends buy houses. Have 2 or 3 other sets of friends who are actively looking. Also plan on this being our forever home. It isn't 4 BR but I can't beat the location and we bought it just as the market was really heating up so I don't envision it ever being worth less than what we bought it for. I am very interested to see when this market finally hits a bubble and starts cooling down, comps in my neighborhood are regularly going for $100,000 over what we paid just 2 years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Let alone a down payment big enough to avoid paying PMI and having any savings left over for emergency repairs or the necessary upkeep that previous home owners typically put off. I need to see a geographic breakdown before believing the claims in this article.

I don't mean to pick on you specifically but there's an enormous logical fallacy here regarding PMI/MIP. PMI/MIP will mean nothing special if you shop in terms of APR. An FHA loan from mid-2016 carried a rate of 3.625%. Add in the 2016 PMI costs (and the monthly cost has dropped by .25% FYI) and you end with an APR of just over 4.25%. That's with putting down 3.5% to maintain maximum flexibility for the emergency repairs and whatnot.

Let's say now that the mindset was no PMI or bust and between mid-2016 and today, you made just enough to hit that 20% marker for no PMI. A 30 year fixed-rate mortgage today carries an APR of 4.47%. Instead of paying the PMI and being in your house for 2 years with money for repairs, etc. you're now paying more for each dollar borrowed than you did. Take a home equity to tap into that 20% you put down? 6.30% at my CU and only up to 90% LTV.

Rates are up from where they were. In the grand scheme of things though, money is still very cheap. Make an informed decision because you're likely not (according to the article now) going to make a bigger purchase in your life.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is word for word what my wife and I did. Went straight to a four bedroom house across from our elementary and middle schools in the district and we don't plan on leaving. We lost out on multiple houses because our process took so long but we are still happy with it.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Wait, are they saying Millennials are skipping starting homes and going to bigger homes and $300k is the base price? Ummm that isn't bigger home price, that is standard price or cheap depending on where you live.

Oct 25, 2017
Early millennial here. Bought my first home in 2011 and am on my second home now. Probably gonna stay in this one unless I get a decent pay bump. Wouldn't mind one with a little more square footage

How old are you, and how much were your houses if you don't mind me asking? Did you sell the first one or do you rent it out now?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm buying a house right now (and am a millenial, almost 30 years old) and the only thing that sucks right now is that interest rates are skyrocketing. We kind of got fucked on ours. We couldn't get a closing date until recently because it's being built, and the interest rate rose roughy 1% in that timeframe.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

I used to think the housing market was fucked in the UK, turns out its just my area and London. Smh.

Moving away from expensive areas is also mentioned in the article. How folks who rented in SF/NYC are moving to cheaper areas of the US to buy homes for $300k. Those same homes would go for well over a million in SF/NYC.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm Canada and I'm not surprised, I said the same in another thread, every millennial I know (early 30s) were all condo horny in 08 and by now are moving into houses instead, or the younger ones are getting condos if not houses directly. It's always been a literal obsession for them, with FOMO, fear or being seen as a loser renter, and Bank of Mom helping them with their cash down. They usually know nothing about finances, investments, interest rates, have no asset other than their condo or house, and are very prone to over pay due to the above.

The narrative that millenials are all poor and struggling is bull.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Millennial, just bought my second home for 350. Plan to raise our kids there. And yes, we lived with my in laws for a few years while my wife finished grad school. I'm really glad that phase is over...

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Millennials, in fact, are purchasing more homes than any other generation.
This seems rather unimpressive. I imagine most of the older generations have already done their purchasing when they were younger.

Millenials basically used the job market and student loans as an excuse to freeload off their parents just so they could accumulate wealth by not paying rent. Now they are buying very nice houses, whereas as people who worked hard and lived on their own post graduation (aka behaved like adults) are left struggling, unable to find appropriate housing for themselves and family. Millenials love playing the victim while reaping nothing but benefits from the goodwill of others—mainly their parents. They are parasites.
I'm going to assume this is a joke post, because it's the weirdest opinion I've seen on Era in a while.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
How old are you, and how much were your houses if you don't mind me asking? Did you sell the first one or do you rent it out now?

I'm 32, my first house was $110k for a 1900 sqft two story in a not so great part of town. Bought the second home in 2015 for $280k. 2500 sqft with a giant backyard in a much, much nicer part of town. We sold the first one and made about a 20k profit, which helped with the down payment for this house.

If at any point we can get $300k+ for this house, we're probably gonna sell. I have my eye on a certain floorplan a couple of neighborhoods over that would be perfect since we decided to have another kid.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to pick on you specifically but there's an enormous logical fallacy here regarding PMI/MIP. PMI/MIP will mean nothing special if you shop in terms of APR. An FHA loan from mid-2016 carried a rate of 3.625%. Add in the 2016 PMI costs (and the monthly cost has dropped by .25% FYI) and you end with an APR of just over 4.25%. That's with putting down 3.5% to maintain maximum flexibility for the emergency repairs and whatnot.

Let's say now that the mindset was no PMI or bust and between mid-2016 and today, you made just enough to hit that 20% marker for no PMI. A 30 year fixed-rate mortgage today carries an APR of 4.47%. Instead of paying the PMI and being in your house for 2 years with money for repairs, etc. you're now paying more for each dollar borrowed than you did. Take a home equity to tap into that 20% you put down? 6.30% at my CU and only up to 90% LTV.

Rates are up from where they were. In the grand scheme of things though, money is still very cheap. Make an informed decision because you're likely not (according to the article now) going to make a bigger purchase in your life.

To piggy back on this a bit more, not all PMI is created equally either. The rules for PMI via an FHA loan are different from that of a traditional loan. We had the money to do 20% down, but opted for 10% w/ PMI so that we could keep that other cash on hand. Our PMI will be gone in 7 years, we still are paying less than our rent and we were able to keep a significant amount of money in our pockets. For us, there was some piece of mind in locking in 3.49 versus saving up to have 30% (20% plus another 10% for cash on hand) to avoid being house poor.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of bubbles like Cali and NYC, what is the overall housing market like?

Here in ATL homes are flying off the market. Houses even way up in the crappy nothern burbs stay on the market for a week max. My sister's place up in Acworth in a cookie cutter boring neighborhood full of old white people who all hate each other took all of 5 days to sell.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's good for those Millennials. I'll probably never be able to afford a house, made peace with that long ago

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
18 year olds usually fall into the Gen Z bracket. But yeah it is a fuzzy how Millennials are categorized.

This article uses the 1980-2000 definition.

To piggy back on this a bit more, not all PMI is created equally either. The rules for PMI via an FHA loan are different from that of a traditional loan. We had the money to do 20% down, but opted for 10% w/ PMI so that we could keep that other cash on hand. Our PMI will be gone in 7 years, we still are paying less than our rent and we were able to keep a significant amount of money in our pockets. For us, there was some piece of mind in locking in 3.49 versus saving up to have 30% (20% plus another 10% for cash on hand) to avoid being house poor.

I don't think people realize either that you can shop around for PMI rates. Our credit union was significantly lower than the other places.

And yeah , saving for 20% down was chasing a moving target for us.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not totally surprised. Living in NJ and working in NY it's rough to believe, but looking at the Midwest you can pretty much afford a decent home as long as you can make it out of bed to any full time job.

We had a headquarters location in Ohio in my company until a few weeks ago. Some of the people working there had mortgage payments of like 700$ a month on a full scale home. On a 50-70K salary like a lot of them were making, you can live like a king with housing that cheap.

TheQueensOwn

Oct 27, 2017
Millennial (1987). Just bought my first house on Sunday! Skipped the starter home and got a 4 bedroom. After frequently moving between rentals, I hope this is my last move. (2462 sq. ft. + 1600 sq. ft. basement)

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely depressing spending 1700 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment here in NJ, knowing that if we had enough for a down payment, we could move to Charlotte or Greensboro in NC and get a decent sized house, in a good area with a mortgage around 900-1000 a month.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely depressing spending 1700 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment here in NJ, knowing that if we had enough for a down payment, we could move to Charlotte or Greensboro in NC and get a decent sized house, in a good area with a mortgage around 900-1000 a month.

If I ever had to move to Charlotte (my company has a huge office there and my largest client is there) I'd want to live uptown. That area is absolutely fantastic. But im sure its mad $$$

Oct 25, 2017

You have to be somewhere near Middlesex County or north. My mortgage isn't much more than that and i have 2400 sq ft on a modest sized lot just outside Cherry Hill. For the additional 30 minutes or so of driving time, I would absolutely go for more bang for the buck. Hell, even when I lived in Mercer County you could get a decent sized apartment in Hamilton Square for nearly half of what you're paying.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Here in ATL homes are flying off the market. Houses even way up in the crappy nothern burbs stay on the market for a week max. My sister's place up in Acworth in a cookie cutter boring neighborhood full of old white people who all hate each other took all of 5 days to sell.
Georgia GOP is doing their damnedest to stop that nonsense