captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

View: https://x.com/HOUmanitarian/status/1790174747579318723

for those of you that don't know. Greg Abbott dissolved the school board in HISD, then hand picked Mike Miles to be the super intendant.
Not a conflict of interest at all, even though he was the CEO of Third Future Schools.

He's been laying people off, most recently told all janitorial staff of HISD that they would be fired in June. Also the teacher that literally won teacher of the year last year in the district was forced to resign.

View: https://x.com/jarvisjohnsontx/status/1790225329618927726
Gregg abbott out here saying schools are fully funded, even though they're not because he's whining like a little bitch that even republicans in the state said no to his stupid voucher bullshit.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
fucking horrible what's happening in HISD

fucking depressing that so many in this state keep voting for this shit leadership

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Abbott loves sending shit from Texas to Colorado, whether it's busloads of migrants, homeless people or public school funds to his charter school buddies.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I worked for HISD for 6 years and it was always a complete disaster. The horror stories I could tell...whoa. But it's not like Abbot taking it over has made it better; if anything it's even worse which seems almost impossible compared to the shit show that it was before that.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sick of Texas. So fucking sick. Can't wait to get out of this shithole.

Moving to Colorado!

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Their endgame is to abolish anything resembling secular/public education and make their religious freak schools the only option. Even if public schools technically still exist, they will be so underfunded that they might as well be closed. We're already most of the way there in some areas.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Their endgame is to abolish anything resembling secular/public education and make their religious freak schools the only option. Even if public schools technically still exist, they will be so underfunded that they might as well be closed. We're already most of the way there in some areas.

There isn't even necessarily a religious bent to these efforts. For some of the right-wing proponents of private/charter schools, they view the egalitarian concept of public schools as un-American. In their view, children should get the education their families can afford to spent. If that means children of poor families or families that suffer financial catastrophe are forced to drop out and enter the workforce, well that's life.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
Abbott has been on a mission to fuck with the Houston area in general. Keep hoping the next time will finally be the time people realize what a shit heel he is and vote him out

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Just when I thought I couldn't hate that fuck Mike Miles any more he surprises me. Well done, I guess.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't even necessarily a religious bent to these efforts. For some of the right-wing proponents of private/charter schools, they view the egalitarian concept of public schools as un-American. In their view, children should get the education their families can afford to spent. If that means children of poor families or families that suffer financial catastrophe are forced to drop out and enter the workforce, well that's life.
In a lot of ways it mirrors what they did to colleges. They used to be an institution for the elites only, but opening them up to the general public for a nominal fee meant too many people were gaining social mobility, becoming aware of the wider world, and having their lives genuinely enriched, so they jacked prices way up and invented student loans to keep people out. Back to work, peasants. Know your place.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

www.cnn.com

How two Texas megadonors have turbocharged the state's far-right shift

Two Texas billionaires have funneled money to conservative candidates and helped reshape the state's Republican party in their worldview.
Former associates of Dunn and Wilks who spoke to CNN said the billionaires are both especially focused on education issues, and their ultimate goal is to replace public education with private, Christian schooling.

www.texasmonthly.com

Why Is Texas the Epicenter of Christian Nationalism?

Billionaires here are funding right-wing politicians to blur church and state. But a small counter-movement is now rising to meet them.
Abbott, a Roman Catholic, doesn't deliver sermons like Cruz. His Christian nationalism is a little less Bible talk and a lot more agenda-pushing action. He champions the school vouchers with which billionaire donors to the state GOP would like to fund private, religious education and undermine public schools that they consider hotbeds of Marxist brainwashing. However, when he toured Christian schools and small towns promoting the issue, he invoked the popular language of "parents' rights," making the Christian nationalist tent a little bigger.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing an IT project with a different TX school district and they are being hit with layoffs significant enough to potentially end the project. I guess it's related?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing an IT project with a different TX school district and they are being hit with layoffs significant enough to potentially end the project. I guess it's related?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/g...ublic-education-budget-shortfalls/ar-BB1mk6IM

The Texas Legislature failed to pass a massive education bill in the 2023 legislative session that would have boosted spending in public schools. The multi-billion dollar bill aimed to increase per-pupil spending and bonuses to staff, including teachers, nurses, counselors, and librarians. The bill expired after Texas House members removed Abbott's school voucher program proposal from the legislation.

Abbot and the extreme ones tied the funding bill to school vouchers. Dems and Rural Republicans yanked the school voucher parts, so Abott and allies tanked the whole bill.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
First the Texas State Gov takes over HISD and tosses out leadership because of blatant lies, as HISD got a good rating from the Texas Education Agency last year and the failing schools were making progress. Now they're sending all the money they can to Colorado.

No upstanding person here in Houston wanted this; that's something that needs to be made clear. Abbott & Co. want to damage the education of Black and Hispanic people in the 8th largest school district in the country, and the biggest city in Texas. They want to do it to keep kneecapping Houston, because alongside San Antonio and Austin, progressive cities represent a threat to Republican domination of the TX Legislature and their plans for turning Texas into (even more of) a nightmarish hellscape.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The privatization of the school system scares the hell out of me, especially with all the issues I already see going on in education.

Oct 28, 2017
The endgame is to destroy their most heavily moneyed opposition in the teacher's unions. They don't care about education at all. It's about maintaining power and lining their donor's pockets.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Remember to vote. His voucher bill failed last session, but the primary has gotten him close to enough votes to pass next session. It will come down to how the runoff goes and how many seats Democrats win in November.

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It's just so deep red.
except that its not, really.

Texas is an extreme voter suppression state.

www.texasmonthly.com

What If They Held an Election and Everyone Came?

State leaders have long tried to correct for the problem of too much democracy. But voters may get the last laugh this election.

www.aclutx.org

5 Ways Texas Suppresses the Vote — And How To Make Your Vote Count

Texas has a long history of voter suppression deeply intertwined with white supremacy. Learn about these five obstacles when casting your vote in 2022, but don't get discouraged. It’s now more important than ever to have your voice heard.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
except that its not, really.

Texas is an extreme voter suppression state.

www.texasmonthly.com

What If They Held an Election and Everyone Came?

State leaders have long tried to correct for the problem of too much democracy. But voters may get the last laugh this election.

www.aclutx.org

5 Ways Texas Suppresses the Vote — And How To Make Your Vote Count

Texas has a long history of voter suppression deeply intertwined with white supremacy. Learn about these five obstacles when casting your vote in 2022, but don't get discouraged. It’s now more important than ever to have your voice heard.
That's good to know. I knew something was weird. I have family there. It was always weird to me based on national reporting and their lawmakers.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Former HISD teacher here. I appreciated how hard working all my co-teachers were. When TEA took over, it was 100% bullshit. The deal was that they would only take over the district if they didn't show improvement in academic scores and the district was actually showing growth in those areas.

The moment the state took over, it has turned into a complete shitshow. Protests from students, parents AND teachers, votes of no confidence from the teacher's union, etc. and ALL that shit is making it on the local news. They are laying off last year's principal of the year for crying out loud!

iirc, there was a news article posted shortly before this about how the superintendent did shady $$$ things during his time as the superintendent of a charter school in Dallas. When that came up, I knew he was doing similar things at HISD