• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Moonside in Earthbound.

You can basically skip the entire level by squeezing through areas you're not supposed to. If you press up against certain objects and repeatedly open and exit the menu, you can slip through. Figured this out on accident back in the 90s.

It also works if you have a large group of enemies and walk off the screen so they're no longer visible. If you open the menu repeatedly, the number of enemies has changed or disappeared entirely.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Binding of Isaac

Bible + Mom/Mom's heart/It lives = instawin

Don't try it on Satan though...

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using Zombie Attack on Yu Yevon in Final Fantasy X and having him cure himself to death will always be the funniest shit. I think this one is somewhat well known though.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Second half of the Nolani Academy mission in Guild Wars Prophecies, after entering the gate into Rin, normally involves going to the left and accompanying Prince Rurik to Stormcaller. But if you instead go right you can go straight to the end-mission boss and, provided you kill it before Rurik reaches Stormcaller (which triggers a cutscene and warps you to his position) it finishes the mission early.

Speaking of cutscene warping, the Dunes of Despair mission (also in Guild Wars Prophecies) has a pretty challenging bonus that under normal play necessitates splitting your group up to both protect an NPC (Ghostly Hero) and defeat three bosses on a ten minute timer. But prior to this part of the mission there's a boss that when killed will trigger a cutscene; if you pull that boss away, sneak the Ghostly Hero past, trigger the timer then run back and kill the boss, the cutscene will warp him out of harms way allowing the whole group to go and fight the bosses without needing to protect the Ghostly Hero.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Krauser in RE4.

Leon uses knife, It is super effective!

Wasted so much ammo first time, 2nd playthrough the fight was over in seconds.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I don't think this is mindblowing but I only just discovered this.
I was playing Jak 1 on my PS4. when I last did a manual save, I had entered Gol and Maia's Citadel.
When I load the game, I expected it to put me at the start of th level.
Instead I load my game, and I am at the final part of the stage which leads me to the boss fight O_o
I did not save any of the other 3 sages nor completed anything in the stage, I just suddenly warped to to the final part.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I think in final fight 3 you can skip a stage or a boss buy destroying a bus stop sign
Oh really?
There is a skip in Stage 5 or 6, it's the stage before last. Basically if you take a specific door in that stage, it'll take you to an area where there are grey colored generators or computers. You just blow up every one you see and eventually you'll get a Stage Cleared message

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Instead of an alternate unique way to beat a boss, I've always been impressed at how fast some people have just beaten bosses.

I always remember this moment from Summer Games Done Quick in particular.

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I guess it's a little more cheesy than mindblowing but I like that in FFX Yojimbo's instakill attack works on bosses as well. Literally pay 2 win. (Yojimbo is a summon and you can't really control which attack he does, to get him to attack you have to pay him money. The more you pay him the likelier it is that he uses one of his better attacks, with his best being an instant kill attack.)

I used this to beat some of the hardest bosses in the game in the original ps2 version : )

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Allant in Demons Souls. I have to confess that I did this.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/walk1-4-boss
Super cheap, Poison Cloud
An easy, yet time-consuming method is to use Poison Cloud. As you enter the fog, wait for king to turn back facing the stair, walk to the top of the stairs while wearing the Thief's Ring. Cast Poison Cloud. Wait until it wears off. His health meter will stop moving, and you'll stop hearing the poison sound. Cast Poison Cloud. You'll need to repeat this six times, so a good deal of patience is required.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MGS is the king of this

MGS3 especially

Another classic is dropping rotten food you've kept hold of, which The Fear will scuttle down from the canopy to eat - then vomit, staggering him and reducing his stamina. Especially useful if you're going non-lethal because you need to KO him by reducing his stamina.

Instead of an alternate unique way to beat a boss, I've always been impressed at how fast some people have just beaten bosses.

I always remember this moment from Summer Games Done Quick in particular.

What the heck are those masks

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The End and Black Iron Tarkus (the Dark Souls 1 boss above) are both amazing.

I'm especially partial to Tarkus because I really don't think I could handle having to cycle back and forth to slay a boss in Sen's Fortress of all places. So glad I heard of his existence before killing the Golem.

Edit: Wait, you can get non-lethal victories in mgs3 boss fights? What?!

I suck like CRAZY at the game but I'm playing for the story lol. I love hearing about weird details Kojima creates.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
0742a84094d83a5caa02167544528fe6.gif

I'm considering it a boss for the purposes of this thread.

Mind blown.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Big Saruis great for learning effective and often hilarious ways to beat bosses/levels in the MGS series.

How to beat Quiet in MGSV with just flash grenades and a punch to the face in less than a minute:

His strategy for taking on the Skulls is pretty great too:

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC two of the levels in Art Style: Orbient for Wii could be beaten with no input whatsoever... I wanna say level 26 and 36?

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
The End for sure. The crazy thing with The End is that there are 2 ways to beat him. Waiting 7 days during the fight, or taking him out when he's first introduced and is sleeping.

The Fear also has a good one with the food poisoning.

The second Sniper Wolf fight you can take her out with the Nakita. .

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't exactly mind-blowing, but in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, it was easy to beat Vulcan Raven with the guided missiles by facing him from across the corner of a crate and just shooting missiles in his face. For some reason, the AI was just left wide open in that one particular circumstance. You could avoid the whole cat and mouse game that fight was supposed to have completely.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!!!! My God, this series just keeps on surprising me even after all these years!
It's also possible for The End to put you to sleep if you save your game in the middle of the fight, and wait a few days. He drags you to a prison, and you have to redo the fight.

Paramedic even tells you it's a stupid idea to save.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Big Saruis great for learning effective and often hilarious ways to beat bosses/levels in the MGS series.

How to beat Quiet in MGSV with just flash grenades and a punch to the face in less than a minute:

Even though it isn't as fast, my favorite method for beating Quiet is calling in supply drops on her location and letting the crates knock her out.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
In the original Deus Ex, you can kill Anna Navarre in an earlier mission, when you're still on the same team. You are supposed to kill the terrorist leader, but you can refuse and discuss it with your partner, Anna, who insists that you kill the man to finish the mission. Eventually she takes it upon herself to kill him, and in this moment, you can fight her. This saves you fighting her one or two more times as a boss later on.

But...

If you don't kill her here (which you may have no idea that you are able to) you can still bypass her boss fight by doing some hacking and learning her kill phrase. Then when the boss fight is about to start, you get a cutscene in which JC (your character) says her kill phrase, and she self-destructs, fight averted.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 Wii Edition. Shoot Regenerator in the face and in one leg with the shotgun. Then switch to the knife and waggle downwards like crazy. After a minute, the Regenerator will take enough damage and die. You don't even need the heat scope.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
In MGS5 you can beat Quiet by dropping supply drops on her. Two, to be exact.

Also it's not really cheese or cheating but I found the end boss of FF13 to be incredibly difficult even with fully leveled characters... unless you use poison, which kills him extremely quickly and outdoes any damage your characters will be doing.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
The Legend of Dragoon......two fights actually right in a row that had gave huge problems to the players, one is considered one of the hardest fights in the entire game....if you didn't do a particular step.

Both are on disc 3 as far as i remember and were in the Forbidden lands which is absolutely one of the most annoying levels I have ever done.

20-kadesa-044.jpg

Super Scarred Virage was the first one......and you had to kill the head or body to finish the fight......problem is had a ton of a HP and a countdown timer to explode.

Secret to it was though, all you had to do was defend because if you attack him, it retaliated and also attacked as well. Defend for 5 turns and then thats it....he dies and you still live.

Then you had no heal points after that fight if you didn't know to defend and face off against this

Grand_Jewel.jpg

This fucker was the worst boss in the game. You couldn't transform into a dragoon for more than a turn otherwise he could instantly kill you....and you were rendered down to additions and items....no more.

But......if you kept a spear that you collected from the very first disc of the game, you could more than double the damage with one character resulting in god like amounts of damage and being able to finish the fight in less than probably a few minutes like so.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Fable two - put down the controller for "final boss".

Twilight Princess - pull out fishing pole to distract ganondorf to get free hits with master sword. I believe this works for Skyward Sword as well.

Metal Gear Solid second Sniper Wolf fight - from the beginning, go all the way to the right where you're behind a wall of snow. Pull out the remote control missiles and controls them across battlefield and hit her with them. Rinse and repeat.

Kingdom Hearts 2 bosses - spam reflect when on the defensive, murders them quickly. Also, to defeat Lingering Will easily, make your air combo a one hit combo and spam air attack. He gets stuck in his recoil animation while you spam the air attack.

Final Fantasy X end game bosses - Yojimbo's instant kill move Zanmato. Just pay him the minimum amount for it and hope it happens. If not, then reset game and try again. The game has a hidden tally system of how many times you use the move. The more you use Zanmato, the more likely Yojimbo will use it when summoned. Sometimes for free I do believe.

Sonic 2 chemical plant boss - before Eggman pops up from the right, if you time your jump just right you'll be right above him when he comes on screen. Here you can continually bounce on his head 8 times quickly. Make sure to count so you can move to the left on the 8th bounce because if you don't you'll fall into the water and die upon his death.

That's all I can remember right now. If I remember more I'll edit this post.

Edits:

MGS3 the End boss - as some have said about the End, you can completely skip the fight if you want. After going through the swamp area and before the cutscene with boss and Volgin, you can take a small detor path to get a sniper rifle. After the cutscene mentioned, The End will be on the pier where the Boss and Volgin was for like a min before being wheeled away. If you take out your sniper rifle and shoot him, he explodes and dies. Watch out though cause a wheel from the wheelchair will come flying to hit you and I believe kill you, but it can be dodged if fast enough. Now, in the boss fight area for the End, you will have Ocelot's group in the area to take you down. I think there is like 8 of them and you have to take them out before you can move on.

Last edited:

Phreak47

Oct 27, 2017
This one for Uncharted 2 saved me from an extra hour of severe anger.

Haha never knew that one, there was another way to cheese that by shimmying around that one rock with a plateau. Boss runs around on top of the plateau but you can easily stay safe just shimmying around, and there's one blue thingy that is close enough to damage him without leaving the shimmy.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Letting Tarkus fight the Iron Golem in Dark Souls is still my favorite. Letting The End die of old age in MGS3 is a close second. And dropping a resupply crate on Quiet in MGSV comes in third.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
In Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), the entire final boss battle in Level 48 can be skipped. Here's what you do.

1.- Make sure you have at least two victims to save when you start the level.
2.- Have the Vampire near the begininng of the level follow you around. Don't kill him.
3.- Make your way through the level and make sure you rescue at least one victim.
4.- Arrive at the final boss' room with the last victim to save.
5.- Make your way around the boss towards the top of the room, and position yourself so that the flying vampire detects the victim past the blocked wall.
6.- Normally you can't reach this victim until you defeat the final boss which destroys the blocked wall, but the vampire can pass through all walls, so eventually the vampire will kill the victim.
7.- Once the victim is dead, the Exit door will appear next to you. Enter it and clear the level.
8.- Congrats! You just skipped the hardest boss fight in the game!

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
I was blown away when I first heard you could snipe and kill The End way before the actual boss fight [when you're in the water, shortly after The Pain].
And again when I heard that he could just die of old age.

Kojima you madman.