• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
www.theverge.com

Minecraft still incredibly popular as sales top 200 million and 126 million play monthly

Minecraft continues to dominate YouTube charts after 11 years.

Minecraft sales have officially topped 200 million, with 126 million people playing the game monthly. Microsoft is detailing the latest sales figures just as Mojang Studios celebrates 11 years since the first Minecraft alpha build was originally released

Just incredible numbers. I don't think anyone could've predicted this when MS bought Mojang.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez when I bought minecraft the site had a sales counter and it was under a million. Crazy how much it has grown.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy numbers but the GB streams has gotten me curious about trying minecraft, never thought I'd be interested

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crazy numbers. I have yet to play the game, and probably never will. Going to check out dungeons though.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Who else other than me thought that when MS acquired "Minecraft" that sales won't increase much anymore, ? :D
Me too. I thought they'd bought them only for a future "Minecraft 2", because I thought Minecraft itself had past its peak.

Booty handled and helped grow the franchise really well. Will be interesting to see if he can do the same for MS's other franchises and new IPs next gen, now that he's in charge of the wider first party portfolio.

Also is it wrong that I played Minecraft for 10 minutes, once, and decided it definitely wasn't for me. And I've never tried it again.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Holy shit dude over 60% of everyone who bought it still plays monthly. Freaking Minecraft man. Brand new games don't even get played that much.

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
Just shows MSFT is alot better at business than many and i mean almost all arm chair analyst online. MSFT managed this ip perfectly.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Microsoft bought Minecraft for $2.5 billion and people thought they over paid? lol

The game has come a long way since that day and is so so much better of game now.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update Aquatic, Village/Pillage, and the newest upcoming one have seriously been what the game has needed for such a long time - it's continued success is well deserved for those content patches alone

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's a game I always come back to a few times a year and get lost in. The most recent updates have been amazing, and I REALLY hope we never see them do what Terraria did recently with a "final" update to make the game complete. I hope they just keep growing the game forever and make it truly unending.

And to be honest, there's a lot that needs to be updated. The underground hasn't been touched since beta. It's time for a massive overhaul with new ores, underground biomes, structures, and mobs.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Awesome purchase from Microsoft. Nadella and Spencer made the right choice to acquire this IP.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that its one of the most successful game this gen that enthusiasts dont know of (apathy). We really are a tiny portion of the market.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Just bonkers numbers. Been watching the Giant Bomb Minecraft stuff and it's made me want to get back into it.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
Who else other than me thought that when MS acquired "Minecraft" that sales won't increase much anymore, ? :D
I was one of the people that definitely thought they over paid for Mine Craft. Looking back $2 Billion was a steal for them though they actually managed the game perfectly in order to quadruple sales of the IP.

Just shows MSFT is alot better at business than many and i mean almost all arm chair analyst online. MSFT managed this ip perfectly.

Yup
They are a Trillion dollar company for a reason.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Love to remember how people said Minecraft was past it's peak when MS bought it and it was a bad investment. I think I probably did too?

It had sold 'just' 54 million when MS acquired it.150 million sales later...

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine there'd be a lot of red faces -- very possibly including my own! -- looking back at comments made at the sale.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Me too. I thought they'd bought them only for a future "Minecraft 2", because I thought Minecraft itself had past its peak.

Booty handled and helped grow the franchise really well. Will be interesting to see if he can do the same for MS's other franchises and new IPs next gen, now that he's in charge of the wider first party portfolio.

Also is it wrong that I played Minecraft for 10 minutes, once, and decided it definitely wasn't for me. And I've never tried it again.

Matt booty I feel like he's going to do a great job.

Besides, he brought with him to the XGS, the business dev team that would support him on the Minecraft franchise.

There's an interview where he explains his experience well:
We need to make sure that we hold the bar high on quality, and that we're releasing games that we can be proud of and that the fans can be proud of as Xbox exclusives.

And then lastly, we need to continue building characters, stories and worlds that can transcend generations, devices and platforms. You know, if you look into things like the Marvel characters or Lord of the Rings, when those Marvel characters were first invented in the 1960s, nobody knew that there was going to be a thing called Netflix.

But yet, here we are. And, you know, the Marvel library figures heavily into video streaming. And so I think we are lucky to have worlds and universes like Halo, where there's characters that can support TV series, books, comic books and all kinds of games. Things like Minecraft that can ship on 23 platforms, and is in schools, and we just need to stay focused on building those kinds of things that really will be generational and last for a while. And I think that if we do that the rest will take care of itself.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Love to remember how people said Minecraft was past it's peak when MS bought it and it was a bad investment. I think I probably did too?

It had sold 'just' 54 million when MS acquired it.150 million sales later...

I definitely did.

Microsoft made the smart decision to retain all of the people at Mojang and to allow them to have creative independence in terms of content development. Microsoft has handled marketing, branding, merchandise, spin off projects, etc, but the core Mojang team seems like its been able to chug along without any disruption or influence from corporate in terms of new content.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many on consoles though? If 100+ million of that is mobile shouldn't we be including other mobile games for perspective because it may not be as impressive considering the huge amount of mobile game sales there are

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
It was at 180m in November last year.
So it basically sold 20m in 6 months.
Meaning it's most likely the best-selling game of the decade (2020s), or at least, it's close (the only other contender would be Animal Crossing, I suppose?)