• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

According to YouTube itself. It was announced 4 hours ago.

just wild to me that this whole fad missed me but got my kids real good. First time I felt my gamer hairs grey a bit

congratulations to mojang

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
That's a lot of blocks !

I mean views !

I mean I know nothing about Minecraft tbh lmao

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen some Minecraft streams in passing (Namely Hololive) and while I get the appeal it's not a game I enjoy playing.

But it's a great game for a lot of people to watch and commentate along to, plenty of exploration stuff, combat can be surprising and doing these things together as a group makes it all the more entertaining. One of those "podcast" kind of games you can watch and listen to passively and still enjoy.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like that OP calls what has been one of the most consistently popular games for a decade a fad lol

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
F- fad? OP, my dude, I was playing LAN Minecraft in the computer lab in 2010. It'll never go away either, catch the wave OP! You can still be in touch!

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Is this another weird American thing, to use different names for stuff? Isn't trillion a 1 000 000 000 000 000 000?

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
One of the great soundtracks of the decade.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it is and now I don't understand it anymore

and it'll happen to you too
I've experienced both with Minecraft itself. I was hip and cool when I played Minecraft back when it was in alpha ("What a cool little indie game! Hope it's successful") but nowadays I'm an old man totally baffled by Minecraft. A trillion views? What are people even watching in these videos?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've experienced both with Minecraft itself. I was hip and cool when I played Minecraft back when it was in alpha ("What a cool little indie game! Hope it's successful") but nowadays I'm an old man totally baffled by Minecraft. A trillion views? What are people even watching in these videos?
User created narratives if what my son watches is anything to go by. People build full cities /dungeons etc then put on a play of sorts

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Alright alright, I'll play it.

Congrats to Mojang and Microsoft. What they've accomplished, aside from the trillion milestone, is astonishing.

…And it's on Game Pass! :D

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god this will end in a endless debate because EU and US will use different methods for a trillion.
I know Era haha

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Expensive, but good investment by Microsoft. Minecraft is, and will continue to be, huge, as the number of youtube videos/views clearly shows.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Biggest game in the universe :)

My kids and I still play it almost weekly (various modes). Caves and Cliffs is amazing BTW.

The amount of interesting content on PC (survival, rpg, etc...) is incredible. Well deserved.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
One of the rare cases where the American way makes more sense and is less confusing.

Eh I think both are fine. Logically they both make sense in terms of numbers it's just arbitrary words assigned to them. This isn't like the metric system argument where one system is fundamentally more complicated.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017

Probably the earliest Minecraft video I remember seeing. I bought the game not long after doing so, if I recall.

In case the embedded video doesn't work, the link is here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The art style lend itself so well to attract kids, my nephew and niece think Banjo looks bad (up res + HDR on XSX) but Minecraft looks bleeding edge lol. At least the youngest loved Banjo more, now he's my favourite.

Congratulations to Mojang, truly the most popular game ever made. Never thought it'd be bigger then Pokémon.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Some European countries do this:

1,000,000 = Million
1,000,000,000 = Milliard
1,000,000,000,000 = Billion
1,000,000,000,000,000 = Billiard
1,000,000,000,000,000,000 = Trillion
Yeah, this is a common mistake when translating numbers from US papers into European languages, comes up surprisingly often that you see a newspaper here list "billion" when they mean 10^9, when in German "billion" would mean 10^12.
One of the rare cases where the American way makes more sense and is less confusing.
The European way just adds "-ard" version after the "-ion" one, so the same words go a bit longer. After "trillion", for 10^18, you get "trilliard", for 10^21. Don't think either system is that confusing and both are very regular and neat, seen in isolation. It's just the need for translation that makes it all a mess.

Last edited:

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Minecraft sort of passed me by. I got gifted a copy early on and rage quit after falling in a big cave and losing my diamond gear I'd spent hours making and basically didn't play it for years.

Then my wife, who still played in fits and starts stumbled across a Minecraft series on YouTube called Hermitcraft where a load of youtubers play on the same server, build stuff and sell things for diamonds as if they're currency (a few of them are in this video, I spotted at least Grain and Mumbojumbo).

My wife made me watch an episode where several 'Hermits' (the players of Hermitcraft) had built ridiculously tall houses with bits and pieces including wooden huts, the house from Up and a giant wizard plant monster. This was years ago but I cried laughing at the insanity of it all and when the builds had been judged by a fluke all three builds scored the same.

This was season 6 and every so often they'll stop and start a new season, currently up to Season 8 where the story at the moment is the moon is getting bigger and causing gravity related issues such as slow falling, earthquakes and random blocks flying into the air.

I've spent vastly much more time watching Hermitcraft than I have playing Minecraft. My kids started watching recently and we have our favorite youtubers who all play together and some of the stuff they get up to is astoundingly funny, even to an old like me. We've even started playing again on a family server.

Well done Minecraft, they've earned it!

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
this is in no way related to the thread, but what countries in europe use this standard? Ive honestly never seen it before (UK based)
It's called long scale and was actually used in the UK until 1974. It lingered though, I remember some news sources still using 'thousand million' in the financial crisis. Milliard I don't remember hearing so that presumably died sooner or wasn't used as much in informal speech. But anyway, long scale is million -> thousand million (or milliard) -> billion -> thousand billion (or billiard), rather than short scale million -> billion -> trillion -> quadrillion.

Can't speak for other European countries but I'm pretty sure France uses long scale with million -> milliard -> billion -> billiard

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's called long scale and was actually used in the UK until 1974. It lingered though, I remember some news sources still using 'thousand million' in the financial crisis. Milliard I don't remember hearing so that presumably died sooner or wasn't used as much in informal speech. But anyway, long scale is million -> thousand million (or milliard) -> billion -> thousand billion (or billiard), rather than short scale million -> billion -> trillion -> quadrillion.

Can't speak for other European countries but I'm pretty sure France uses long scale with million -> milliard -> billion -> billiard
In my 40 years (UK) didn't know any of this was a thing. Every day a school day!

Gabs

Sep 20, 2018
According to Wikipedia, most of continental europe and countries colonized by them use the long scale (exceptions: Brasil, Greece and a few others)