• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This includes women and LGBT BTW, not just limited to ethnic minorities. Also just not limited to Americans so feel free to chime in if you're from outside of America.

What were some of the things you noticed?

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. A taxicab driver asked me if I wanted a ride in Toronto. I've never had this happen in 33 years living in the US.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure women classify as a minority??

Numerically no, but you can be a minority even if you're the majority of the population if there is a big power imbalance (apartheid South Africa for example). I would still argue that women are a minority in that sense because they are not very well represented politically.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah when i visited the dominican rupublic years ago, i felt more at home than in america. Im black, and people treated me like i belonged there. Strangely, I dont speak any spanish but the vibes there were amazing.

Ive traveled the world a lot since then and never got the same feeling anywhere else. I need to go back one day.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I'm Latinx and Arabic. When I went to other countries, it was an eye opening experience. I traveled around East and South East Asia. In the airport in Seoul everyone was very kind. I went to take off my belt and the security lady told me that wasn't necessary. Walked right past the metal detector and that was it, quick and fast. Cambodia was the same way. In Japan, I actually got stopped by their version of the TSA because I came out of a different exit from everyone else (I was lost). The guy searched my bag but was so kind about it. He even folded my clothes nice and neat when putting them back and organized it better than it was. He struck a conversation with me.

Upon coming back to the United States, everyone was very rude to me. After getting past customs I get pulled over by a TSA agent. I was a bit confused as I wasn't sure if I was finished with the process of returning back to the States to go to departures. The TSA agent asks to see my passport. He begins asking all of these questions such as what was my ethnic background, where did my parents meet, if I was Muslim, etc. He then let me go. After he left, it hit me that I was already done with the customs process, and he was just being an asshole.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The main thing that's stood out to me is how differently you're perceived in different places depending on what people assume about you.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Philippines was so dope. Everyone was polite and helpful.

When you get back to the states, it hits you immediately that you're back in the states.

Nov 2, 2017
New Zealand and Iceland, and I'm Canadian. Literally the friendliest places on Earth I've ever been too. I love both countries unconditionally. I wish it were easier to try to live in Iceland as a Canadian or I'd work on moving there immediately.

PS: Metis bisexual Canadian I should add.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Numerically no, but you can be a minority even if you're the majority of the population if there is a big power imbalance (apartheid South Africa for example). I would still argue that women are a minority in that sense because they are not very well represented politically.
In what country?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I've never really had any huge racist things directed at me in the US. Even when I lived in majority white areas they were considered diverse for that region.

But I like going to other countries and feeling safe around cops. That's a massive plus. I also enjoy when people in other countries ask me "why did you come here?" its a genuine question, instead of a "get out minority" kinda thing.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Uhh, you'd think that there would be another word for this.

Deleted member 39450

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA

That's not how this works.

I'd also argue that white women in the US are a part of the most socioeconomically privileged groups on the planet.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I have definitely been treated better in the US than I ever did in PR , to be honest , most Puerto Ricans that I've known/encountered are douchebags.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

I have lived my whole life as a Roman person in Turkey (it's like Greek, but people talk Latin instead of Greek).

Basically if you're of a Christian origin (my family have always been atheists though), you become a target in Turkey. Either they will try to convert to to Islam "nicely", or beat the shit out of you for ignoring Muhammad, or even some of super devouts could murder you (and get away with it if the police that takes your case are also devouts).

It's more of jealously rather than racism though. "Those ajnabis think they could enter heaven freely while we here work or asses of to do that, pray in foreign language five times a day, starve in 30 hot summer days a year, stay away from raki and pay for animal sacrifice. Nope, that's not happening". I have always avoided violent response but this thing called "peaceful jihad" that is as bad as getting beaten by side radicals. It's like creepy guys that ain't take no as an answer when they ask a girl out. "convert please, convert please, I said convert you ajnabi piece of shit, convert, you'll go to hell, convert, convert, convert..." Ignore and they multiply. You see, there's a reward for them to convert to their own side.

But is it better now I'm away from heart of Anatolia and away from ask these bullshit? It absolutely is. In France no one gave a shit about religion it felt really great. Same in America too, but I do kind a feel lucky that I'm a blonde guy, because all I got in America when I said I'm Turkish, I got the response "but you don't look like one...". It's just ignorance instead of racism.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So far , my experiences have been the same.

But before - when I went back to India, I was called a Foreigner a few times even though I was born in India l0l.

This was like when I was younger.

Same thing happened when I was younger in the US because of my English wasnt good at the time.

Nowadays, when I speak to someone here in the US, they say "You dont sound like your from India" because my accent is like a white person apparently.

Strange how times change.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how this works.

I'd also argue that white women in the US are a part of the most socioeconomically privileged groups on the planet.

That is quite literally how it works. Blacks under apartheid in South Africa were a minority despite having a numerical majority. Palestinians in Israel are another example.

Deleted member 39450

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
That is quite literally how it works. Blacks under apartheid in South Africa were a minority despite having a numerical majority. Palestinians in Israel are another example.

No, you're confusing slight inequalities in the dominant group in western society (white people) with massive power imbalances between a minority government and majority black citizens (apartheid). Those things are not even remotely comparable.

Given their social and economic standing in western culture, white women don't meet any of the requirements of a minority group unless they're LGBT or disabled. As an LGBT US citizen myself, my rights are not constitutionally protected and I can be singled out for discrimination legally under federal law. Women have had these protections for decades. More white women in the US voted for Trump than Hillary in 2016 and white women voted majority Republican in the 2018 midterms, so please don't try and tell me that white women are an oppressed group when they seem to have no problem voting against the interest of actual minority groups. That's pretty fucking offensive.

I'd suggest revising the wording of your initial post rather than continuing a flawed argument.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, you're confusing slight inequalities in the dominant group in western society (white people) with massive power imbalances between a minority government and majority black citizens (apartheid). Those things are not even remotely comparable.

Given their social and economic standing in western culture, white women don't meet any of the requirements of a minority group unless they're LGBT or disabled. As an LGBT US citizen myself, my rights are not constitutionally protected and I can be singled out for discrimination legally under federal law. Women have had these protections for decades.
Gross dude. Trying to single out one group of women as the enemy is pathetic.
White women sure as fuck don't get any extra benefits with dwindling access to abortions, lack of maternity leave or the rampant misogynistic rape culture that we live in.

More white women in the US voted for Trump than Hillary in 2016 and white women voted majority Republican in the 2018 midterms, so please don't try and tell me that white women are an oppressed group when they seem to have no problem voting against the interest of actual minority groups. That's pretty fucking offensive.
This little diatribe has fuck all to do with anything though. Self hating homosexual republicans exist but I don't think anyone would argue that it means gay people don't deserve rights.
Certain minority groups vote majority conservative but it doesn't mean they're suddenly not a minority or not oppressed anymore.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
I recently went to the UK and felt totally different. If I were younger, I would have packed my shit and moved there.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Yes. I'm Asian American (Chinese/Filipino) and I've been treated better in Japan, Canada, Hong Kong (if that counts), and South Korea. I attribute it to mostly physical appearance similarities and tourist industry but still been generally treated better on a casual level compared to here in the US.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only country I've been to that isn't my own (US) is Japan, and other than being stared at randomly, I was treated better I guess.

Depends what you find worse: silent judging or in-your-face judging.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I lived in Bahrain for a few years and I had a few experiences where I was treated bad due to being American. Probably would have been much worse if they found out I was Jewish.

Particularly from Saudis. Sometimes they would walk out of the elevator they didn't want to be in a presence of an American lol

The funniest one was when my family went to a Johnny rocket for lunch and a Saudi family was making fun of us out loud. They were obviously talking about us since it just my family and then at the restaurant.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember while I stationed in Germany and I would go out into town on my off days and interact with the locals how nice they all were. I wouldn't say I was treated better but my experienced in Germany was definitely one of the best times of my life. Such a beautiful nation and culture.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
To be honest I have experienced racism everywhere. Its not Western only phenomenon. In fact I've seen and experienced worse racism in non western countries by the erhnic majority there against other non-white minorities.

Deleted member 39450

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
Gross dude. Trying to single out one group of women as the enemy is pathetic.
White women sure as fuck don't get any extra benefits with dwindling access to abortions, lack of maternity leave or the rampant misogynistic rape culture that we live.

Enemy? Grow up.

My post highlights socioeconomic privilege of a particular group. Nothing you said refutes that, you're simply describing inequalities within the dominant group itself. Very different things.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
It's pretty clear that the OP means: "people who are part of any kind of group that's historically been at-risk for some type of societal oppression/abuse, has your experience varied depending on what country you were in, and how?"

It seems a little silly to let an interesting thread be distracted by an informal way of expressing that question when it seems to have been asked in good faith (re : the use of "woman" as a minority).

Last edited:

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because as Filipino living in the USA, I'm obviously part of the majority there in the Philippines and was treated like everyone else. But as a gay person, I feel much, much better here in the USA/California and it's actually the primary reason I don't live in the Philippines.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

I have lived my whole life as a Roman person in Turkey (it's like Greek, but people talk Latin instead of Greek).

Basically if you're of a Christian origin (my family have always been atheists though), you become a target in Turkey. Either they will try to convert to to Islam "nicely", or beat the shit out of you for ignoring Muhammad, or even some of super devouts could murder you (and get away with it if the police that takes your case are also devouts).

It's more of jealously rather than racism though. "Those ajnabis think they could enter heaven freely while we here work or asses of to do that, pray in foreign language five times a day, starve in 30 hot summer days a year, stay away from raki and pay for animal sacrifice. Nope, that's not happening". I have always avoided violent response but this thing called "peaceful jihad" that is as bad as getting beaten by side radicals. It's like creepy guys that ain't take no as an answer when they ask a girl out. "convert please, convert please, I said convert you ajnabi piece of shit, convert, you'll go to hell, convert, convert, convert..." Ignore and they multiply. You see, there's a reward for them to convert to their own side.

But is it better now I'm away from heart of Anatolia and away from ask these bullshit? It absolutely is. In France no one gave a shit about religion it felt really great. Same in America too, but I do kind a feel lucky that I'm a blonde guy, because all I got in America when I said I'm Turkish, I got the response "but you don't look like one...". It's just ignorance instead of racism.

Interesting post. I had no idea that people still spoke Latin and considered themselves Roman. Or have I misunderstood? Are their surviving pockets of Byzantines or something?

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Given their social and economic standing in western culture, white women don't meet any of the requirements of a minority group unless they're LGBT or disabled. As an LGBT US citizen myself, my rights are not constitutionally protected and I can be singled out for discrimination legally under federal law. Women have had these protections for decades. More white women in the US voted for Trump than Hillary in 2016 and white women voted majority Republican in the 2018 midterms, so please don't try and tell me that white women are an oppressed group when they seem to have no problem voting against the interest of actual minority groups. That's pretty fucking offensive.

I'd suggest revising the wording of your initial post rather than continuing a flawed argument.

Gross post. Even white woman suffer sexism in the US and worldwide. Please stop trying to be the judge of who qualifies as a minority or not. Also, for your Trump stuff:

Donald Trump Didn't Really Win 52% of White Women in 2016

Also, white women were split evenly in 2018, stop spreading misinformation:

FT_18.11.07_MidtermDemographics_gender-race-education-divides.png

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
This includes women and LGBT BTW, not just limited to ethnic minorities. Also just not limited to Americans so feel free to chime in if you're from outside of America.

What were some of the things you noticed?
Are disabled people included here too? I'm never sure if people want disabled peoples' input in stuff like this because they rarely include them explicitly.

I use a wheelchair and took a trip to Tokyo several years ago. I felt much safer. While buildings were less accessible on average than where I live, the people themselves were more accommodating and I felt safer just exploring the city because people made room for me. I have to constantly watch my back and make sure people don't move me or stumble over me in my home city. I get stared at everywhere I go where I live, but it wasn't as bad in Japan.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting post. I had no idea that people still spoke Latin and considered themselves Roman. Or have I misunderstood? Are their surviving pockets of Byzantines or something?

Language has ben lost early 19th century in Anatolia. Anatolian Latins were descendants of crusaders who settled down in Tarsus/Mersin area. When Ottoman Empire refused to recognize Catholicism as a tax exempt faith in 1830s, most of them had converted to Greek orthodox. Thanks to Tarsus church records, most of Anatolian Latins can trace their family all the way back to crusade times.

Bad thing here is Turkey has illegally purged itself from non-Muslims twice and now no Christians live there except a very small community and my family was part of them. No matter how Turkey's Constitution says it's forever progressive and secular, radical Islam doesn't listen to any constitution. Non-muslims are leaving country until none of them left and after that radicals/devouts will be against progressives/non-devouts and that's a conflict only a bloody civil war would solve. And that's where Turkey is going right now.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Language has ben lost early 19th century in Anatolia. Anatolian Latins were descendants of crusaders who settled down in Tarsus/Mersin area. When Ottoman Empire refused to recognize Catholicism as a tax exempt faith in 1830s, most of them had converted to Greek orthodox. Thanks to Tarsus church records, most of Anatolian Latins can trace their family all the way back to crusade times.

Bad thing here is Turkey has illegally purged itself from non-Muslims twice and now no Christians live there except a very small community and my family was part of them. No matter how Turkey's Constitution says it's forever progressive and secular, radical Islam doesn't listen to any constitution. Non-muslims are leaving country until none of them left and after that radicals/devouts will be against progressives/non-devouts and that's a conflict only a bloody civil war would solve. And that's where Turkey is going right now.

Interesting and concerning in equal measure. Looks like the tide is turning after the Istanbul election maybe?

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read your own link: 47% of white women voted for Trump, 43% for Clinton. Hence the reason I said more white women.
You didn't bother to read the entire article apparently:
It's notoriously flawed polling.
" But exit polls, which are conducted by Edison Research for a consortium of news organizations, suffer from systemic biases and are notoriously flawed.
Sign up to receive the top stories you need to know right now. Exit polls tend to overrepresent the kinds of people who are likely to stop and agree to talk to a pollster, and underrepresent the ones who don't. They're also conducted on the fly, attempting to snapshot the electorate in real time, so they're naturally not going to be as accurate as an analysis that combs through voter files and other data that show who actually turned out."

Regardless, it's a joke that you're trying to downplay sexism against that group just because of political leanings. I guess we shouldn't give white male gays any minority status either, since white males are statistically the most privileged of all and there are some that voted Trump as well.