• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Mirror%27s_Edge.jpg

15 years ago it was released in EU and a day earlier in AU and three earlier in the US.

I still remember EA announcing the game for the very first time.. I was taken away completely by the unique free running and parkour movement gameplay and the outstanding artistic level design and electronic futuristic soundtrack.

after 8 years a sequel which was also a story reboot was released.. Mirror's Edge Catalyst received a mixed receptions from both reviewers and fans, I personally preferred the original Structure of separate levels than one open world, but Dice still did a good job of building up a world where you can freely explore with parkour movement… and the art direction and the soundtrack remained a master class.

Now 7 years has passed since the release of Catalyst and no news about another new entry.

Sad since a new entry would look absolutely beautifully gorgeous with UE5, but I am still grateful for having these two special games and will always respect and admire the sense of art that Dice presented in this franchise.

Mirror's Edge will always "Still Alive" in the fans hearts ;-)

View: https://youtu.be/SzmUde_EK5Y?si=Gh2BUMktkuEro7_I

IMG-1246.jpg

IMG-1242.jpg

IMG-1244.jpg

Show and share your love to this franchise era <3

Last edited:

Whisu

May 19, 2021
Beautiful and unique game, great music too.

A RTX remaster for this game just like Quake RTX, would be amazing.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i don't think the "franchise" is underrated, just the first game, the second is pure garbage honestly

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Oh noooo I'm old

I still love both of them. First one is still so slick and well designed. And "Sandbox ME with custom time trials" was all I wanted from a sequel so I was in the minority in being really happy with Catalyst

Also, the Solar Fields soundtrack for ME1 was my first real exposure to underground electronic music. So I'll always remember these games fondly

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
I really wish they would ever make a new one in the vein of the first, learning the optimal routes and speedrunning through the levels was just perfection

I don't think the open world served the second one very well, the gameplay was there but imo is much better served with these tight linear levels

Dec 23, 2017
I used to do a yearly play-through of Mirror's Edge; it's the comfort food of comfort foods. A masterclass of games and still a fun and unique experience even today. I should play it again to celebrate the 15th anniversary! A few years ago I made two threads going over the beautiful world of Mirror's Edge and it's still fucking stunning to see. I love Mirror's Edge to bits, and wish it never stopped.

E590370E99B7F6BCE12B0E9F11654006E022CB1F

When Catalyst came out, it went too far in the futuristic aesthetic that it left that sort of grounded and relatable feeling I had from the first game. It was still a beautiful world to explore but it didn't hit the right notes.

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
The main thing I disliked in the first game was the random QTE segments, especially with the big guy who Faith grapples with and I remember you have to grab the pipe he swings at you. The timing is INSANE.

But apart from that, it was a game with such amazing flow. Such finely crafted stages that were a joy to run through.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games ever. I usually replay it once a year or so. Something about the city and its design is captivating to me.

Oct 29, 2017
It really speaks to the importance of art direction. This game still looks fantastic. So clean.

Timeless design. It looks unbelievable in 4K 60fps on Xbox Series X. In another 15 years and beyond, this will still be one of the most visually striking games ever made.

I don't think Mirror's Edge is a perfect game but it's a special game. From this moment when EA and Dice could take a break from Battlefield to make this unique, experimental passion project. That's something that feels lost now.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Terrible take, honestly. The second game is fun as hell, the improved and expanded movement are fantastic. The story is whatever and the open world leaves a lot to be desired, but the core gameplay is even better than in the first one.
having to load the open world for every mission really sucked

if it came out this gen, an SSD would have helped immensely

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Purely coincidentally I booted it up on my Xbox Series S out of curiosity having just got an Xbox. Amazed to see my Xbox 360 save data was pulled in from the cloud. When MS do Backwards Compatbility they really do it well!

I struggled to control the game but I remember back in the day I fully got into the "flow" of running and moving around. This was from a time when it felt like EA was turning around from annual franchises. Good times.

beebop

May 30, 2023
Surprised there was never a smaller-scope VR Mirror's Edge. Unless the concept was basically unplayable.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
One of the first "next gen" games at the time, the artstyle and aesthetic remain timeless, with a remarkable gameplay loop. Shame that the IP is dead, but I hope they release an RTX remaster.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, finally played through it for the first time earlier this year after having meant to grab it for years and years.

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017
I remember buying this game on a whim on my 360. I was not expecting to have so much fun with it.

It still holds up to this day because of its amazing art design. Also this game made me discover Solar Field who is an incredible artist.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Slightly related, can I transfer my ME game save file from a PS3 to PS5 using a USB?

Wednesbury

Apr 10, 2018
God I loved the first game, I only played Catalyst once and didn't enjoy it as much, maybe it's time to give it another try.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I really did love this game. Just such a unique experience that even with it's admittedly kinda major flaws, is an enjoyable game.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely adored the first entry. I should probably replay it again sometime.

Never played Catalyst though.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I love the first game so so much.

I really wish they had made a linear sequel instead of going open world.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
The game still holds up today. The graphics are so clean and colorful.

Memorable soundtrack. One of the best ending tracks ever.

I rarely speed run. Mirrors Edge made it fun and satisfying.
My no-kill run was incredibly fun.

Shame about the pre-order messenger bag. I wish I kept it wrapped up instead of using it.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded this on a whim in 2014 when EA gave it away for free on PS3 and really enjoyed it. Would've been one of my favorite games at the time had I played it when it came out.

Only played the beta for Catalyst, so I should probably give the full game a shot at some point.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
The Praiseworthy
Oct 30, 2017
I made two threads going over the beautiful world of Mirror's Edge and it's still fucking stunning to see.
Oh wow, these pictures makes me SCREAM for a remaster of the two games in 4K with RT and all the glory techs that will serve the outstanding art direction and design in both of these games.
Absolutely adored the first entry. I should probably replay it again sometime.

Never played Catalyst though.
You are so lucky to have a whole ME game that you have yet to experience, I envy you.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
An amazing, unique game with a sequel that somehow managed to improve basically every facet of it. I want a new one so badly :(

Feb 15, 2023
I used to do a yearly play-through of Mirror's Edge; it's the comfort food of comfort foods. A masterclass of games and still a fun and unique experience even today. I should play it again to celebrate the 15th anniversary! A few years ago I made two threads going over the beautiful world of Mirror's Edge and it's still fucking stunning to see. I love Mirror's Edge to bits, and wish it never stopped.

E590370E99B7F6BCE12B0E9F11654006E022CB1F

When Catalyst came out, it went too far in the futuristic aesthetic that it left that sort of grounded and relatable feeling I had from the first game. It was still a beautiful world to explore but it didn't hit the right notes.

YES, posted the same thing in the Catalyst thread. It went from a sort of uber-Tokyo feel, highly stylised, to just... geometry. Looked awful to me.

Solitude

Nov 11, 2020
The only reason I keep a PS3 around, it needed remastering yesterday but I don't see it happening.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
I just want a remaster, I don't even need a new game. Just put it out with all the PC enhancements so I can play it on my PS5 please :(

Imo one of the undisputed giants of the platformer genre, just an absolute peak videogame.

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Love this series. Really hope we eventually get a 3rd entry.

Catalyst gets a lot of hate, and while it does have some issues, the gameplay is so refined from the first entry that I'd suggest folks give it another shot. I prefer it to the first at this point, but they're both great.