• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all, very new to the MISTer stuff. I'm looking for something I can use both with an HDMI but also on a Sony crt. Not sure which prebuilt MISTer is the best option, any help is appreciated!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all, very new to the MISTer stuff. I'm looking for something I can use both with an HDMI but also on a Sony crt. Not sure which prebuilt MISTer is the best option, any help is appreciated!
I've had good experiences with Mister Addons so you might want to consider them if you're in the US. Their aluminum cases cool the device without the need for a fan so they're virtually silent. And they're actually in stock at the moment:

MiSTer FPGA Pre-configured Bundle (with Aluminum Armor)

In stock now with a lower price! Kits are being assembled and will ship as soon as possible! Experience the superior performance and protection of the MiSTer FPGA Pre-configured Bundle (with Aluminum Armor). Designed with the passionate user in mind, this bundle has already received rave reviews...

As for which model, both the digital and analog versions allow you to connect to HDMI as well as a CRT (although you might need an extra part if you have a digital version). The question is whether or not you have a need to connect to HDMI and a CRT simultaneously. If so, you want the analog version.

If you don't need a simultaneous HDMI/CRT connection, the digital version allows you to use an extra stick of RAM. In all honesty, the value of two RAM sticks is unclear. Barely any cores actually require it and I'm not sure if anything is actually worth the expense. Maybe it'll be more useful in the future.

Last edited:

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
I have a pretty robust Cyclone V FPGA at home (Arrow SoCKit). It has the FPGA and a few useful peripherals such as micro-USB I/O, VGA connector and microSD card slot.

Anyone with more experience with the project knows if I can get it running in my kit without spending extra on other daughter boards or FPGA kits? I'm not willing to shove $500+ on this since it's hard to find this stuff locally in my country and the import taxes are crazy.

EDIT - OK right after posting this I found a repo on GitHub:

github.com

GitHub - sockitfpga/MiSTer_SoCkit: Building the SD card and running Mister on SoCKit board. Porting guides.

Building the SD card and running Mister on SoCKit board. Porting guides. - sockitfpga/MiSTer_SoCkit

Seems it works great on SoCKit but most cores need an SDRAM add-on, so besides maybe the Sega Genesis there's not much for me.

Last edited:

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022

What kind of sucks right now is there's just a new analog out board design, with full 24-bit color support that is being rolled out into cores at the moment, but I'm not sure how/where to buy it right now, particularly in America. The N64 and PS1 cores have options for 24-bit rendering to reduce banding/dither that can look really good, but the prior analog boards are all limited to 18-bit and struggle to take full advantage.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
What kind of sucks right now is there's just a new analog out board design, with full 24-bit color support that is being rolled out into cores at the moment, but I'm not sure how/where to buy it right now, particularly in America. The N64 and PS1 cores have options for 24-bit rendering to reduce banding/dither that can look really good, but the prior analog boards are all limited to 18-bit and struggle to take full advantage.
Does that matter for digital only users?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does that matter for digital only users?
If you're just using the HDMI out port to an HDMI screen, I don't think it matters.

If you're using direct video though, it matters. Direct video is a way to output an analog signal out of an HDMI port. So if you're using direct video, the limitation matters. BUT! If you're using direct video to output directly to a RetroTink 4K, there are no color limitations with current hardware.

It's all a bit confusing.

Last edited:

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
If you're just using the HDMI out port to an HDMI screen, I don't think it matters.

If you're using direct video though, it matters. Direct video is a way to output an analog signal out of an HDMI port. So if you're using direct video, the limitation matters. BUT! If you're using direct video to output directly to a RetroTink 4K, there are no color limitations with current hardware.

It's all a bit confusing.

Direct video never had a problem with 24-bit color. This is only a problem using the analog out (VGA port) on analog boards, the HDMI to analog is 24-bit as long as you got a good converter.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Yeah it is a tad confusing. I have considered using my mister on a crt so I should look for a proper hdmi to vga that does 24bit color.
It's just so convenient to play on a big screen.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Direct video never had a problem with 24-bit color. This is only a problem using the analog out (VGA port) on analog boards, the HDMI to analog is 24-bit as long as you got a good converter.
Ah, thanks. While I started with an analog board, I never wound up buying a CRT for it and I eventually switched to digital for the extra RAM. I only started screwing around with direct video much later when I picked up a RT4K. Guess I have more to learn.

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking of finally getting on board. It'll cost me £220 for the de-10 nano, and then about £50 for the ram kit. Plus then a fan, case, etc, going to add up! But I want a tinkering project too.

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of finally getting on board. It'll cost me £220 for the de-10 nano, and then about £50 for the ram kit. Plus then a fan, case, etc, going to add up! But I want a tinkering project too.

I set up my first Mister last year and it's totally worth it. I use it pretty much every day, and if you like tinkering with stuff then it's a fun project to mess around with.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. I have a guncon 2 but I wanted to know - is there any way to make it work with an svideo connection to my crt?

I was thinking of buying this, connecting the composite sync cable from the guncon 2 to this, then this would connect to my Active encoder which would then connect to my crt via a svideo cable. Anyone tried this setup?

Hopstapel

Sep 4, 2023
Hi all. I have a guncon 2 but I wanted to know - is there any way to make it work with an svideo connection to my crt?

I was thinking of buying this, connecting the composite sync cable from the guncon 2 to this, then this would connect to my Active encoder which would then connect to my crt via a svideo cable. Anyone tried this setup?

You need an active adapter based on the design by Mikes1. This one for example. I've used it with composite and the result is pretty nice. As in, far, far more artifacts of course, but a bit of additional colour blending and blurryness. Which I consider a plus.

It's pretty good, but definitely not artifact free. You'll have a worse result than a device with native composite out (ie an old console).

Oct 25, 2017
You need an active adapter based on the design by Mikes1. This one for example. I've used it with composite and the result is pretty nice. As in, far, far more artifacts of course, but a bit of additional colour blending and blurryness. Which I consider a plus.

It's pretty good, but definitely not artifact free. You'll have a worse result than a device with native composite out (ie an old console).
Yes, that's what I'll be connecting it to. Seems like from asking around this should work, I guess I'll find out when the GunCon 2 breakout arrives. Thanks!

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I received replacement SDRAM for my faulty unit, but they replaced my purchased v3.0 with a v2.9. This memory is holding steady at 143mhz. I mainly purchased new memory so sound/stability would be a little more improved with the Saturn core. Are people finding much of a difference between the v2.9 and v3.0 variants for this core? What is a good RAM speed to shoot for?

EDIT: Looks like it's actually only holding 140mhz now, slower than the v2.5 it's replacing.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I received replacement SDRAM for my faulty unit, but they replaced my purchased v3.0 with a v2.9. This memory is holding steady at 143mhz. I mainly purchased new memory so sound/stability would be a little more improved with the Saturn core. Are people finding much of a difference between the v2.9 and v3.0 variants for this core? What is a good RAM speed to shoot for?

EDIT: Looks like it's actually only holding 140mhz now, slower than the v2.5 it's replacing.
It seems to vary between games a bit and when the core updates. Are you on analog i/o, because I mean dual ram is right there otherwise.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

Despite the fact that it's running slower than the 2.5 you had, is the compatibility any different/better?

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Dumb question: would it be possible to use a mouse with WarCraft II (Saturn) on a MiSTer? As far as I know, the game doesn't have Saturn mouse support, but could you just use a mouse as your input device and tell the MiSTer it is a controller? Is this a terrible idea? Haha

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Dumb question: would it be possible to use a mouse with WarCraft II (Saturn) on a MiSTer? As far as I know, the game doesn't have Saturn mouse support, but could you just use a mouse as your input device and tell the MiSTer it is a controller? Is this a terrible idea? Haha

Yes, even if you could somehow rig it up (don't think you can on the mister side), it wouldn't move remotely like a mouse.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes

this did exist, so maybe?

*edit* oh, I'm a dummy, you specifically mention Saturn mouse support lol. Maybe with one of those weird controller to mouse adapters that people use to cheat at FPS games on console?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I gather that the dos version of Warcraft 2 will work on Mister. I would go with that if you want mouse support.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for the replies. The Saturn version is shockingly good, but lacks mouse and analog support, unfortunately.

DOS is a good option, but also feels like a bridge too far in terms of how far I am willing to tinker. (I also have my MiSTer connected to a PVM, so I'm not sure if the resolution would be supported?)

Last edited:

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
It seems to vary between games a bit and when the core updates. Are you on analog i/o, because I mean dual ram is right there otherwise.
Yep, analog board. I use a CRT exclusively and no interest in direct video so I'll just be using one stick.
Despite the fact that it's running slower than the 2.5 you had, is the compatibility any different/better?
I haven't had a chance to mess with it much just yet. What caused me to upgrade in the first place is my first-ever playthrough of Shining the Holy Ark. Halfway through the first dungeon, the music (and possibly all the sound, I can't remember) cut out with my v2.5. I haven't bothered to go back trough that initial dungeon to see if anything has changed. I'm sure various bios files and core updates create a large variation in stability.

I had ended up playing Holy Ark on my Steam Deck, and now I can't figure out how to move that over to my Mister. There are like 4 save files, and everything I've tried hasn't worked. I will likely complete that one on my Deck (probably for the best due to save states, as saving is few and far between). I just bought a second Retrobit Saturn controller and looking forward to some co-op Guardian Heroes.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Thanks for the replies. The Saturn version is shockingly good, but lacks mouse and analog support, unfortunately.

DOS is a good option, but also feels like a bridge too far in terms of how far I am willing to tinker. (I also have my MiSTer connect to a PVM, so I'm not sure if the resolution would be supported?)

You can get low-res (320x200) DOS games looking good on SD CRT, but it does take a little tinkering with custom resolutions.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Last time I tried ao486 IIRC Warcraft I ran well but Warcraft II had some issues, performance or glitches I don't remember.

DOS is a good option, but also feels like a bridge too far in terms of how far I am willing to tinker. (I also have my MiSTer connected to a PVM, so I'm not sure if the resolution would be supported?)
Last time I tried ao486 IIRC Warcraft I ran well but Warcraft II had some issues, performance or glitches I don't remember.

Isn't Warcraft II part of the 0mhz Collection?
Everything I've tried using that collection works incredibly well - but haven't tried Warcraft II. Still, I assume it would work well enough...

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Everything I've tried using that collection works incredibly well - but haven't tried Warcraft II. Still, I assume it would work well enough...

I don't know what that means/is, but I'd be curious to check/figure it out. I'm old enough to remember DOS/Win 3.1, but I had Mac with System 6/7 growing up, so that command-line stuff is still sort of a blindspot for me, technically speaking. (Although in an ironic turn of events, I do need to get my hands dirty at times in Terminal in moden MacOS...)

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
I accidentally bid on a pre-built one for £380 and cancelled it and annoyed the buyer. Feel guilty.
Thing is I think de10-nano is readily available for about £210. the seller had analog i/o, and some other things with it. Not sure about extra RAM. Don't think it was worth it. looked dusty af.

I set up my first Mister last year and it's totally worth it. I use it pretty much every day, and if you like tinkering with stuff then it's a fun project to mess around with.

Yeah I've never been much of a tinkerer but am starting to look at Piholes, etc, too now.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it runs better in DOS instead of Windows where I most likely would have been messing with it.
I don't know what that means/is, but I'd be curious to check/figure it out. I'm old enough to remember DOS/Win 3.1, but I had Mac with System 6/7 growing up, so that command-line stuff is still sort of a blindspot for me, technically speaking. (Although in an ironic turn of events, I do need to get my hands dirty at times in Terminal in moden MacOS...)
There is this blog that has a series of posts detailing how to setup systems with ao486 from scratch, installing DOS and eventually Win95:

0 mhz Collection has basically setup everything for you - it's a simple drag/drop situation and runs. You just launch the game and it loads right up.

If you really enjoy tinkering with the core, be sure to backup the core configuration first.

But, yeah, if you just want to play the games without any trouble, that's the way to do it.