Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/07/...te-questions-in-the-latest-investors-meeting/

Q7: It's been 30 years since the release of Famicom Detective Club, yet thanks to the presentation and story it still tugs on my heartstrings. I hope that these sorts of game software that can be talked about for a long time can be constantly released. In the current state of Nintendo, is it possible to make these sorts of adventure genre games? I would like to know about how game development for this genre is structured, as well as communication with overseas developers.
Shigeru Miyamoto, Creative Fellow: Regarding adventure games, I have also helped develop many of them beginning with Shin Onigashima, but it's very hard to make one in the current environment. Nowadays, games are localized in over 10 languages, and adventure games' localization costs are massive in terms of voices and text. Furthermore, younger gamers trend towards being uninterested in this genre. However, designing adventure game mechanics is fun, and are used well in Capcom's Ace Attorney and Level-5's Professor Layton series, so while we can still have hope for the genre, please understand that actively making one is hard in the current mainstream."

personally, i would love to see nintendo publishing adventure games, like they used to in the past with hotel dusk or another code. sadly that studio went bankrupt but it would be cool to see them partner with another studio that makes adventure games.
what do you think? do you agree with miyamoto about younger gamers being disinterested in the genre?

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
They've largely turned the Paper Mario series into adventure games, which can avoid at least the voice acting costs issues, but fans seem to not like them (Color Splash is the best Paper Mario imo do not @ me)

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It can't be argued that younger players are usually not interested in this kind of games. I mean they're not big sellers in any demographic, being honest, but I wouldn't imagine the Fortnite generation is itching for more adventure games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've largely turned the Paper Mario series into adventure games, which can avoid at least the voice acting costs issues, but fans seem to not like them (Color Splash is the best Paper Mario imo do not @ me)
Fans don't care about voice acting in Paper Mario. That's a whole different issue

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I don't think it's that audiences are disinterested in adventure games, it's just that they never get made/advertised as well as they used to. I'm not expecting adventure games to make/meet killer numbers, but I think a well put together one that had some marketing done by Nintendo themselves would actually do quite well. I'd say that games like Danganronpa and Zero Escape count and those have pretty decent cult followings. Imagine those with bigger budgets and more advertising. They'd do really well.

Bring back Cing Nintendo. I need more Trace Memory in my life.

Aine

May 27, 2019
As shitty as Telltale is (well, was), haven't they helped revive adventure games?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its very important that you state that they are doing the japanese version of 'adventure games'. Games like pheonix wright and cing games

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i feel like localization costs are a cop out, it's not like nintendo can't afford it, if small publishers can. and they don't have to voice everything in every language. just english and japanese would be enough. i know there's a lot of text involved in these games but it's weird to hear about localization costs being high from nintendo.

As shitty as Telltale is, haven't they helped revive adventure games?
lol, i don't think telltale is a good example considering what happened to them.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Given Nintendo of America's tendency to go non-union with their voice casts, I can see voice acting being an issue with regards to the budget of their games (though I guess the 10 languages thing explains why NoA typically goes non-union, since the VA budget is stretched thin).

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
After the sales of CiNG it is normal that they do not see it an interesting market, I suppose.

Oct 25, 2017
He has a point, they're almost never big sellers unless they had a pre-built fanbase to ween off of. I just hope they still see the need to make smaller titles that don't need to be mainstream.

yeah but there's no denying that, at least the first season or two, the walking dead did wonders

Lightning in a bottle.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
i feel like localization costs are a cop out, it's not like nintendo can't afford it, if small publishers can. and they don't have to voice everything in every language. just english and japanese would be enough. i know there's a lot of text involved in these games but it's weird to hear about localization costs being high from nintendo.

lol, i don't think telltale is a good example considering what happened to them.
On one hand, that would allow Nintendo to actually unionize the English production. But at the same time, doing voice acting for other languages besides English & Japanese does give their games more worldwide appeal.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think it's that audiences are disinterested in adventure games, it's just that they never get made/advertised as well as they used to. I'm not expecting adventure games to make/meet killer numbers, but I think a well put together one that had some marketing done by Nintendo themselves would actually do quite well. I'd say that games like Danganronpa and Zero Escape count and those have pretty decent cult followings. Imagine those with bigger budgets and more advertising. They'd do really well.

Bring back Cing Nintendo. I need more Trace Memory in my life.
I've said it before, but in an alternate timeline, Nintendo saved CiNG and they steadily released episode adventure games on the eShop that filled in gaps between flagship titles for the 3DS and Wii U. I want to live in that timeline.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah but there's no denying that, at least the first season or two, the walking dead did wonders

Walking Dead S1 was the very definition of lightning in a bottle that they were never able to recreate. It was a literal perfect storm.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, that would allow Nintendo to actually unionize the English production. But at the same time, doing voice acting for other languages besides English & Japanese does give their games more worldwide appeal.
true but they still stick to english and japanese VA for many of the games they publish. xenoblade, fire emblem, drago quest, etc.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember years ago, Yoshio Sakamoto was asked about bringing back Famicom Detective Club, and he said that Ace Attorney had basically cornered the market for it, so it wasn't likely to come back. Now even Ace Attorney is in decline, so I don't expect Nintendo to jump back in that genre any time soon.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
true but they still stick to english and japanese VA for many of the games they publish. xenoblade, fire emblem, dragon quest, etc.
True, though the bigger games like Zelda & Smash have 10+ languages for voice acting. Given that the franchises you mentioned have a smaller international audience, it's understandable that they only do English & Japanese.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
title changed to be more clear

True, though the bigger games like Zelda & Smash have 10+ languages for voice acting. Given that the franchises you mentioned have a smaller international audience, it's understandable that they only do English & Japanese.
they'll never expect an adventure game to have the same worldwide and mainstream appeal as zelda or smash, fans of the genre are already used to and completely fine with english and japanese VA, the same is true for jrpg fans.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
they'll never expect an adventure game to have the same worldwide and mainstream appeal as zelda or smash, fans of the genre are already used to and completely fine with english and japanese VA, the same is true for jrpg fans.
Oh, I get your point. It would be comparable to Fire Emblem or Xenoblade in terms of budget, maybe even less than them.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Certainly can't expect an adventure game of that kind to become a phenomenon. They'll naturally have a niche appeal. But, like Danganronpa, that can still work depending on the studio and expectations.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I feel Miyamoto is right about Japanese adventure games. Many game devs who made them in the past are abandoning the genre:

Suda51 is nowadays making action games, SWERY made a side scrolling puzzle/platformer (next is a life sim game), Spike Chunsoft is making just Fire Pro Wrestling and anime licensed games, CiNG are dead, Jake Hunter games releases over here and nobody buys them, 428: Shibuya Scramble bombed, Ace Attorney is barely coming out in the West (Capcom never bringing Great Ace Attorney), Professor Layton series hype seems to be dead, Hifumi Kono's horror adventure game bombed (NightCry).

This is a genre I love dearly but it's incredibly niche nowadays even in Japan (mostly just straight up VN games now, since they're less costly and take less time to develop). I'm happy to get anything nowadays.

Shenmue 3 is like one of the last bastions of the genre nowadays that generates any buzz at all.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sounds like a pretty lame excuse. Nintendo has more than enough cash to fund some experimental games and younger gamers being uninterested isn't an issue at all, there are plenty of older people on the Switch.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna call bullshit on that and the Switch should be a place where these types of games thrive.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
While the language pack costs are definitely going to be significant, I lament that adventure games stopped offering cutting edge visuals that couldn't be possible in a more interactive videogame because it was too expensive.

Too bad that doesn't get discussed anymore with this genre.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i feel like localization costs are a cop out, it's not like nintendo can't afford it,

They can afford it monetarily, but it's an opportunity cost that isn't worth it for Nintendo. They won't see a good return on it compared to almost anything they could be working on, and the genre will inevitably mean a large localisation project would be required.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Shenmue is the example. It needed a kickstarter and even after that still a whole lot of drama. It sucks

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I think YouTube is the biggest enemy of those. "I will just watch a playthrough, It's like watching a series anyway and I won't fuck up anything".

data

Oct 25, 2017

It's not that they cant afford it. It's most likely not profitable. Telltale is one example. The studio you mention is another

Even when they do only two languages, people who don't know the two languages picked are always going to be isolated from the experience so that also create a group of people who aren't happy with the situation

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue is the example. It needed a kickstarter and even after that still a whole lot of drama. It sucks
Shenmue isn't the kind of game from the examples Miyamoto is citing, though. Big budget adventure games like Until Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, or Life is Strange still get made and see success. I'd say Shenmue is more in that vein than something like Ace Attorney or Professor Layton.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I feel Miyamoto is right about Japanese adventure games. Many game devs who made them in the past are abandoning the genre:

Suda51 is nowadays making action games, SWERY made a side scrolling puzzle/platformer (next is a life sim game), Spike Chunsoft is making just Fire Pro Wrestling and anime licensed games, CiNG are dead, Jake Hunter games releases over here and nobody buys them, 428: Shibuya Scramble bombed, Ace Attorney is barely coming out in the West (Capcom never bringing Great Ace Attorney), Professor Layton series hype seems to be dead, Hifumi Kono's horror adventure game bombed (NightCry).

This is a genre I love dearly but it's incredibly niche nowadays even in Japan (mostly just straight up VN games now, since they're less costly and take less time to develop). I'm happy to get anything nowadays.

Shenmue 3 is like one of the last bastions of the genre nowadays that generates any buzz at all.

Danganronpa (and to a lesser extent, Zero Escape) was the latest series to really be popular in the west, yeah? It seems like crazy-dark plots full of twists are the only way to really get people's attention. Even then, most people just watch a Youtube let's play.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Danganronpa (and to a lesser extent, Zero Escape) was the latest series to really be popular in the west, yeah? It seems like crazy-dark plots full of twists are the only way to really get people's attention. Even then, most people just watch a Youtube let's play.

The Danganronpa writer left Spike Chunsoft and has formed his own company along with the Zero Escape series director and Danganronpa composer (Masafumi Takada) to continue making adventure games since they obviously could see Spike Chunsoft were turning into a boring anime licensed game factory and wanted out.

You're right though, there was a lot of hype on here for series like Danganronpa and Zero Escape and there's been nothing since that's really taken grip on people in the English speaking territories. They're still coming out, like my previous post above demonstrates (thanks Aksys!) but people just keep whining "where's Another Code" "where's Hotel Dusk?" well if people don't support the games that are coming out then they won't. It's funny since the original artist of Hotel Dusk actually released a short novel game on 3DS, which nobody bought, so any idea of a revival is definitely dead for CiNG now anyway.

The genre definitely needs a real buzz again. I hope Uchikoshi's upcoming AI: The Somnium Files revives it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not that they cant afford it. It's most likely not profitable. Telltale is one example. The studio you mention is another
They can afford it monetarily, but it's an opportunity cost that isn't worth it for Nintendo.
both valid points but it's not like an adventure game being made or localized will take away staff from other nintendo games, it'll be a 3rd party dev and there are many localization companies they could hire. and it's not like everything they make is a hit, they somehow greenlit sushi striker.
as a fan of the genre, i just want something with nintendo's polish and touch to it, and it's a good idea to diversify their catalog to include more genres, even if it won't be a big hit like their other series.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
A lot of indies does profitable stuff in the adventure genre, it's strange to see a big shot saying it's very hard.

A visual novel like thing is probably harder due to having tons of text but what about games like Machinarium or Dropsy, with contextual info instead of words? Even classic point and click stuff doesn't have that much text.

Miyamoto probably meant games like Detective Club specifically.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
The unfortunate truth is that Cing couldn't escape death.

If it had been bought back then, it would've just delayed its fate.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Is it really THAT hard though? I bet an adventure game of worth would've sold more than Federation Force and Codename STEAM for example.