• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclopsfire21

Oct 25, 2017
Age and defensive prowess (at third at least).

He is having a better year at the time of the deadline + he can (will might be a different story) also play one position extremely well, unlike JD. Still, rental bats don't typically fetch huge hauls.
Ah that makes sense. Also, I thought he refused to move to 3rd (even though defensively he's awful at short) or was that for next season?

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question. What makes Machado's market more lucrative than JD Martinez's last year?
Age and defensive prowess (at third at least).
His age doesn't really matter for trade purposes. It's that he plays an actual position people can't just fill with whoever and JD Martinez has had many full seasons where he wasn't good.

He says he's a shortstop and wants to play there going forward, but if the Yankees were to acquire him, he'd play third since Didi is the much better defender.

He thinks he has more analytic value at shortstop. I don't think he'll care once he gets 9 figures on paper.

Forsythe for Giles. Who says no?
Honeycutt will easily fix Giles
Giles has value still

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
His age doesn't really matter for trade purposes. It's that he plays an actual position people can't just fill with whoever and JD Martinez has had many full seasons where he wasn't good.

He thinks he has more analytic value at shortstop. I don't think he'll care once he gets 9 figures on paper.

Giles has value still
He throws a mean hook.

Oct 25, 2017
JD also didnt really heat up until he was traded to Arizona. A superb hitting shortstop with great defense would be absolutely huge if not for the fact that teams like the Yankees already have people like Didi. Machado at his position or at 3rd is very valuable to a lot of teams than a powerful hitting OFer that should probably be DHing more.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trade value. He isn't super old and still has stuff and has been successful before. They're not going to just release him or trade him to someone else for nothing.

JD also didnt really heat up until he was traded to Arizona. A superb hitting shortstop with great defense would be absolutely huge if not for the fact that teams like the Yankees already have people like Didi. Machado at his position or at 3rd is very valuable to a lot of teams than a powerful hitting OFer that should probably be DHing more.

I mean, Machado isn't a great defender at short. He is at 3rd though. That's why it's dumb he won't shut up about shortstop: the only reason I can come up with for why he wants to play short so badly (despite being elite at third) is the positional adjustment to player value you get in analytic terms. But almost nobody actually WANTS him to play short, even if they'd let him.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
That's why it's dumb he won't shut up about shortstop: the only reason I can come up with for why he wants to play short so badly (despite being elite at third) is the positional adjustment to player value you get in analytic terms. But almost nobody actually WANTS him to play short, even if they'd let him.

Basic quality of life is also better at shortstop. Playing 3rd fucking sucks.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
With how bad the sp market is for sp, the Mets could take advantage and get a massive haul. But it's the meat.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Time to bring in the beard.

I would be okay with a trade involving Jake Lamb. He is terrible at hitting left hand pitchers, and completely replaceable IMO. Nothing he has done this year has been spectacular or memorable.

Cyclopsfire21

Oct 25, 2017
I mean of course they should but teams never have the foresight to notice they need a rebuild before it's too late.
I noticed this too. The prime example the Al central may belong to the Indians longer because the twins and royals should have sold earlier. Though I guess its understandable for small market teams, they get a taste of winning and want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.