• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017
Honestly I'm looking for a new MMO to play, but instead of people recommending me what to play, how about telling me what you play and why or what do you like about it.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
I'm playing Black Desert Online and having so much fun for a new player

The combat is so much fun and the game in general is complicated. But maybe I think this because I'm new to it

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing TOR but mostly just for the story, once I'm caught up I'll likely stop. It's fun to play it like KOTOR 3 though.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV. Why? I think that, right now, this game is the class of the genre. It is very polished, with amazing art and music. The combat design is good. The story is generally also good. I'm a long-time Final Fantasy fan, so I love all of the FF-universe fan service. The XIV team does a lot right with the game. Their design philosophy revolves around steady improvement and giving the players what they want, which is a breath of fresh air compared to some other MMOs that I've played.

Right now I'm getting current before the expansion pack. It's a good time to come to the game. The population is very healthy, game feels much more alive than World of Warcraft (community is far better too).

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
Just started Star Wars TOR since they announced the new expansion and I remembered I wanted to try this game. Seems good so far

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
World of Warcraft is in a bad place right now, but I'll probably go back when the Rise of Azshara patch hits. These kinds of mid-expansion patches with new areas are typically some of Blizzard's best work. In the meantime, however, I'll be starting my Final Fantasy 14 sub up again in the next few weeks in preparation for Shadowbringers. There's always a ton of story content released between expansions required before jumping into a new expansion's campaign. I love me some MMO storytelling and FF14 is the best in the business right now. I'll probably only last a month in the new expansion as I do all the story. Maybe two. But I more than get my money out of them. Highly recommended.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Never played any mmo except SWTOR and loved it, but stopped playing a while back since there was no new content

i want to give ESO a shot but these kind of games take a lot of time and i have a big backlog lol

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
WoW, though it isn't particularly enjoyable outside of raiding. While I don't enjoy raiding nearly as much as I used to, it's still good enough to keep me going for now.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV is kind of by far the only one I'd consider worth my time. And I used to be a WoW nut.

Mostly due to accessibility of design, an interesting narrative through-line(despite some padding). A combat structure that can demand being attentive and focused but is also relatively capable via a controller.

Plus great music, visuals, a mostly strong community, and content rollout has traditionally been on schedule and well received.

I love that old content still remains somewhat viable through dailies and lvl tuning also. Nice touch(though I'd like to see it provide some challenge if desired).

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
FFXIV is all I've been playing in the past few years. Keeps me busy enough to not want to play another MMO. Although, recently, I've been considering going back to FFXI for when FFXIV is down for maintenance.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
FFXIV is my personal hell but on break until ShB. I find it convenient to take breaks often and I'm not out of loop for too long unlike other MMOs.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I still can't get enough of the original PSO, apparently. There's some decently populated private servers running, Ephinea is my favorite (and the most populated). Probably not the type of answer you were looking for, but I figure it's worth a mention just in case you used to play and didn't know you could still play online these days.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing FFXIV right now (something something avatar quote.), just capping things off before Shadowbringers. Leveling other jobs, maxing their item level, doing gold saucer for MGP rewards, etc.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV. What do I like?

• Very High Focus on Story. And story especially after the 3.0 content gets super intriguing.
  • You can be every class with one character. Mixing and matching depending on what you feel like/ trying out new classes is fun and makes alts pretty much unneeded.
  • Entire game is a love letter to Final Fantasy fans. Tons of winks and nods and just sometimes straight up inclusions of things from Final Fantasies past. i.e Recent 24-man raid was based around Ivalice from FFXII/ FF Tactics
  • Very pretty game. The dungeons and set designs for all the major fights in the game are total eye candy.
  • Incredible music score. Soken is an absolute madman. He's produced some of the franchises best music tracks. No hyperbole when I say that either.
  • Game is fun at both a casual and hardcore level. Challenges exist for all types of players.\
  • Game is EXTREMELY controller friendly. Was designed from the ground up for it and PC version even offers support for Playstation and Xbox button prompts.

Game is free up to level 35 with the trial. Progress is carried over. Give it a try if you haven't.

Last edited:

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV for me. Pretty much for all the reasons the others said. I've tried WoW during the release of BFA, but I dropped it after 2 weeks, it only made me want to play FFXIV, which I did shortly after and god damn it's amazing, by far the best MMO on the market imo.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Oh wow, lots of FF14 players here.

I played it for about 3 months but lost interest quickly after the first month or so. I beat the story up to the point where you had to do all these quests to get to heavensward stuff but got tired of it. I was a scholar.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
WoW.
I regularly return to it due to the sheer content and allied races pulled me back lately, a paladin troll was my untold dream and it actually became possible recently.
Also I have some nice and rare things and much time invested, I don't see myself starting from scratch elsewhere a this point.

Anjoys

Avenger
Nov 10, 2017
Guild Wars 2, but only for the story and because it does not have a sub fee. I might go back to WoW when patch 8.2 is released.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing ESO. I really like the world/quest design for PvE content, and have a mid-level character (30) that I'm leveling for Elsewyr. I need to start getting serious about my build to begin doing dungeons soon, etc, but also am getting a friend into it who has little/no MMO experience, so showing him the tropes and ropes of leveling and surviving in an MMO.

I think the writing is pretty decent too. I love the environment art and such.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Been playing WoW since launch, this xpac is not in the best place in terms of endgame however if your looking to start fresh its hard to deny the leveling experience is pretty good.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV for all the reasons Musubi said.

• Very High Focus on Story. And story especially after the 3.0 content gets super intriguing.
  • You can be every class with one character. Mixing and matching depending on what you feel like/ trying out new classes is fun and makes alts pretty much unneeded.
  • Entire game is a love letter to Final Fantasy fans. Tons of winks and nods and just sometimes straight up inclusions of things from Final Fantasies past. i.e Recent 24-man raid was based around Ivalice from FFXII/ FF Tactics
  • Very pretty game. The dungeons and set designs for all the major fights in the game are total eye candy.
  • Incredible music score. Soken is an absolute madman. He's produced some of the franchises best music tracks. No hyperbole when I say that either.
  • Game is fun at both a casual and hardcore level. Challenges exist for all types of players.

Game is free up to level 35 with the trial. Progress is carried over. Give it a try if you haven't.

+ Fashion Simulator.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

• Game is fun at both a casual and hardcore level. Challenges exist for all types of players.

This does make me wanna restart my FFXIV sub, but alas, I only have time for one MMO in my life and none of my friends want to play FFXIV.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I played it for about 3 months but lost interest quickly after the first month or so. I beat the story up to the point where you had to do all these quests to get to heavensward stuff but got tired of it. I was a scholar.

If you act quickly Heavensward is free right now. The story REALLY jumps off once you get to Heavensward. They've also done a lot of really great Quality of Life changes over the years. Should give it another shot. :D

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Still playing LOTRO (lifetime sub) and SWTOR (just can't break away completely).

I don't play either all that much, maybe log in once or twice a week and just do a little here and there. I enjoy world chat with LOTRO but chat in SWTOR is just beyond toxic these days. But the gameplay and story in SWTOR is what keeps me there, even if I've played through every class line.

Fenrick

Oct 27, 2017
Kent\Covington, WA

I had the same issue, but I ended up paying to skip to HW, and just watched the cutscenes leading up to the expansion. Obviously it's not a great choice if you dont have the money to burn, but I was trying to catch up to my wife and losing motivation to keep going. We dont share a lot of overlapping game interests, so the boost to get over that hump was worth it for me.

It is absolutely worth it for HW and SB though. I haven't had the same issue with motivation since that end part of ARR.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing WoW since launch, this xpac is not in the best place in terms of endgame however if your looking to start fresh its hard to deny the leveling experience is pretty good.
WoW.
I regularly return to it due to the sheer content and allied races pulled me back lately, a paladin troll was my untold dream and it actually became possible recently.
Also I have some nice and rare things and much time invested, I don't see myself starting from scratch elsewhere a this point.
As probably one of the biggest wow stans of all time on gaf and now here, I would note that both of these experiences you've mentioned (sheer content, and levelling) are vastly better in FF, and on a surface level the gameplay of the two games is extremely similar, which given how poor wow is right now makes it REALLY hard to recommend wow as it stands.

I've been considering writing a huge paper about what wow needs to learn to FF, just haven't gotten around to it, but it's shocking how much better FF treats its playerbase in terms of respecting your time and also not obsoleting all content immediately, making it fele like there is always much more to do with meaningful reward.

AJ_Cyberpunk

Apr 15, 2019
Tried to get into Elder Scrolls Online but combat just doesn't click with me, feels floaty and boring. Don't like the classes, Races that much either.

Played through WOW BFA main quests and dropped it.

Played FF14 from 1.0 through beta untill near end of Heavensward. Have 60 BM and 58 Dragoon. Got fed up of the combat system. Tried to come back recently with free 7 day trial but found going back to the combat Rotations was no fun. Spending more time looking at little icons/numbers etc then actually whats going on in the game. I like the armour styles and general world and think its prob the best mmorpg out right now but I've had my fill of it.

I follow a lot of MMO websites, YT channels etc nothing close to coming out i fancy sadly.

Hoping in few years someone will take a risk on a new AAA MMORPG. Guild wars 3, WOW 2, new final fantasy etc....

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Was playing FFXIV but now it keeps crashing so I haven't been able to play in a while.

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
Bit off topic, I havent played an mmo for a while due to a lack of time. I loved ESO and GW2, also FFXIV looks brilliant, I hope to get back into an mmo soon. I worry that there is a bleak future for MMO games, is there anything that looks good coming in the future or are we in the final phase of the traditional MMO's ?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nothing currently. I started with SWTOR when it released. I put +2k hours into it and loved every second (Hutt Ball was the GOAT). My guild and me switched over to GW 2 when it released. That's what I put a lot of my time into, +7k hours. I haven't really played any other since. I did get really into WildStar, but it's a shame what happened to it.

I'm pretty much waiting for the next big MMO before jumping back in, but who knows, maybe MMOs time has passed.

Jun 1, 2018

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Bit off topic, I havent played an mmo for a while due to a lack of time. I loved ESO and GW2, also FFXIV looks brilliant, I hope to get back into an mmo soon. I worry that there is a bleak future for MMO games, is there anything that looks good coming in the future or are we in the final phase of the traditional MMO's ?
I'd love to know this as well because honestly I've loved all the MMOs I've played but it seems like those are becoming a thing of the past. We really need another one with a solid pvp aspect to it for those that want it without it being completely dumbed down a year in and making those players jump ship.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I really need to get caught up on FFXIV for Shadowbringers

I'm currently slated to return to FFXIV at the end of May or beginning of June to prep up for Shadowbringers. The Free Company we have on the site is full of really nice and helpful folks that were almost always available and willing to help me out when I started fresh for Stormblood two years ago. :)

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I'm playing 3 and I can't get into any of them.

Elder scrolls online is kind of bland. I don't like how you scale to the world. Kind of ruins vertical progression for me.
The Old Republic is ok but way too easy. They kind of fucked up the most recent expansion.
FF14 has no job variety. Yes, you can play any job but every job of the same type plays the same (my dragoon is probably exactly the same as another guy's dragoon, etc.). Also levels 1-50 are a slog.

The last MMO I really liked at all was star wars galaxies 2003-2005.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Doing some stuff in FF14 if I feel like it, but after capping 6 jobs plus some gatherings/crafting stuff I am not really playing much until the next expansion.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
<- My character from FFXIV
Been playin since ARR beta, i have evrything maxed, Omnicrafter Pentamelded, cleared All the savage tiers (ultimate not yet), i love this game, i have a static for doing the hard content with friends, and now influeced by them, we are starting PSO2(some of my friends already play it) while we wait for ShadowBringers

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I'm playing Maplestory again. I got suckered into playing because of the LINE Friends collaboration.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
FFXIV, because I really love Final Fantasy.

I don't particularly love this particular MMO, but it's the only one managing to hold my attention at the moment, so here I am.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
FFXIV for me as well. It's the only mmo that I like. It looks great, the story post base game is fantastic, you can switch your class all you want, the soundtrack is amazing and the community is super friendly.

Although to be honest, I don't like the combat all that much. I never was a fan of tab targeting.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
City of Heroes...hmmm I've heard a lot about this game. That it was very fun, and unique and that it closed back in 2012. I did enjoy my time with DC Universe online, but can you tell me more about this?

EDIT: Found this article https://kotaku.com/discovery-of-a-secret-fan-run-city-of-heroes-server-ca-1834254587
Wow. I never got to play CoH, but always wanted to. Didn't really care for the DC mmo. Hope someone can get a public server up and running. I'd love to try.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The MMO genre is dying, or maybe just in a long lull. The GaaS-type titles offer more return for less investment. AAA MMOs are crazy expensive to develop and support, and MMO players have a greater expectation on content. The kind of nonsense that, for instance, Blizzard pulls with Overwatch, where content updates are so sparse, and the entire model revolves around monetized lootboxes, wouldn't fly for MMOs. Or Destiny, and the stuff like Bungie/Activision did there- lack of content, lack of coherent lore, and all that.

I think if we ever see a crackdown on some of the predatory GaaS stuff that MMOs would have a better shot at a return? The sub-based model is good, IMO. B2P and F2P, with fair pricing models, are ok too.