• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey there, mods. Can we have a place to talk politics separate from the Gaming and Main Forums? I think it would be easier for those of us who want to talk that stuff without having to search thru a bunch of other stuff. Thanks !

Oct 25, 2017
The world, gaming, and the news is political. Almost everything is political.

Even one's apathy regarding the news and politics is inherently political. Not taking a stand is political. Wanting to bury one's head in the sand is political.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Hey there, mods. Can we have a place to talk politics separate from the Gaming and Main Forums? I think it would be easier for those of us who want to talk that stuff without having to search thru a bunch of other stuff. Thanks !
lol I thought this was gonna be a request to not have to see political stuff whilebrowsing OT.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it might be helpful if EtcetEra was divided into a "news" forum and an "entertainment" forum. The current forum layout is based on The Old Place but it doesn't necessarily have to be like that.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Can't we just...not open politics threads to avoid politics? I mean, that's how it's always worked on every version of this forum and it's been fine. There have been less threads in the past - but then again, the world was different then.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of the suggestion. If you want to consolidate your political discussion you can visit one of the community threads.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
If you made a thread about the non-political subject you wanted to discuss, it'd be on the front page right now.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to talk about it there's a community thread

if you are tired of reading about it I believe you can have thread titles with key terms not show up. So, just block Trump threads.

Deleted member 643

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy. This argument again.

I do think moderation should be stricter on the types of political threads that can be opened (save tweets for PoliEra) but pushing them aside completely would be a mistake.

Can't we just...not open politics threads to avoid politics? I mean, that's how it's always worked on every version of this forum and it's been fine. There have been less threads in the past - but then again, the world was different then.

You must be reading a different OP than I am

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We should have different subforums for TV, Wrestling, Sports, Music, Animals, Photos, Art, Electricity, Houses, Fruit, Grass, Statues etc., etc

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If political threads are in their own category, I'd likely forget about them. Leave it as is.

OP
OP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, have never been to hangouts. Don't understand why a subforum would be such a big deal, though.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Bottom line is, when the pee pee tape is confirmed to be real* and uploaded a million times to YouTube, it deserves to have it day in the sun in the glorious light of the EtcetERA main forum not hidden in the basement.

*Team Peepee tape is real

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't segment the forum too much. I like reading politics and general postings and i dont want to switch between tabs twice every time

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, have never been to hangouts. Don't understand why a subforum would be such a big deal, though.

Because the nice thing about this format is that you have OTs and communities for specific interests, but the the potluck of off-topic means you have access to a whole range of topics. Can really broaden your horizons.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
As an outsider of the US, I'm so tired of the Trump news cycle.

So I do think it would be nice to have a separate political forum, or even a Trump forum lol (not serious) to get away from that news cycle sometimes.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair to OP I believe it is his desire to be able to navigate and find politics threads easily not hide them. That is what was said anyway, perhaps this is a passive aggressive reverse psychology attempt to purge ERA of political speak....hmmm OP...hmmmm :P

OP
OP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geez, I didn't realize there would be this much animosity towards having a little more organization. If anything, those of you who don't give a shit about talking politics wouldn't have threads shitting up your forum.

Seriously, what's the issue here?

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Having a million subforms is a bad thing because it prevents topics from being seen by as wide a possible audience, splinters the userbase, increases homogeneity, decreases informative discussion, and means users have to look through a bajillion subforums instead of just 2.

It's just a bad idea all around. Having as few as possible was the best thing ERA (and previously GAF, credit where credit is due) did.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Segmenting forums always ends up hurting a community more than helping. Community threads themselves are already their own sub-section which is a nice solution.

Geez, I didn't realize there would be this much animosity towards having a little more organization. If anything, those of you who don't give a shit about talking politics wouldn't have threads shitting up your forum.

I think people who've been on the internet a long time have seen how forums who segment everything end up. One of the reasons for this communities success (prior and present) was it did not do that.

OP
OP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to OP I believe it is his desire to be able to navigate and find politics threads easily not hide them. That is what was said anyway, perhaps this is a passive aggressive reverse psychology attempt to purge ERA of political speak....hmmm OP...hmmmm :P

No passive aggressiveness intended at all. Just thought it was a good idea.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This was discussed to death on the migration discord and was pretty much unanimously shut down for a variety of reasons.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah those People, right OP? *wink

Status
Not open for further replies.