• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

call-of-duty-modern-warfare-captain-price-smoking-uhdpaper.com-4K-5.jpg
Activision Publishing has announced that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is the most played Call of Duty game in this console generation, beating out Black Ops III, WWII, and more to be the #1 Call of Duty game since 2012.

Activision's Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® continues to drive momentum delivering new highs in multiplayer engagement within the franchise for this console generation. Modern Warfare has outpaced all previous Call of Duty multiplayer experiences of this generation in hours played, hours per player and average daily players on its way to becoming the most played Call of Duty multiplayer in the first 50 days since launch in six years.

Activision also confirmed that Modern Warfare has passed $1 billion in worldwide sell through through the end of November 2019 and is the best selling premium game of 2019. There has been over 500 million hours played and over 300 million MP matches played thus far.

The award-winning title, which has sold more than $1 billion in sell-through worldwide, has surpassed 500 million multiplayer hours played since release with nearly 300 million multiplayer matches. Upon release, the title featured a series of firsts for Call of Duty, including crossplay and cross-progression support, as well as the removal of Season Pass and delivery of new post-release content coming free to all players on all platforms.

Activision re-highlighted that brand new content is coming to the game today, including new MP maps and modes.

"We're bringing our players together to play across all platforms and that continues today with a new wave of content coming to everyone for free," said Patrick Kelly, co-studio head and creative director for developer Infinity Ward. "Starting today Vacant and Shipment are in full multiplayer rotation. Players can also jump into new Gunfight maps, play a new Special Ops mission and play fun new modes, starting with Cranked."

Juggernaut. That's all that needs to be said.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
The core gunplay might be the best I've ever seen in a military shooter. I hope they adjust everything around it (drop weapon mounting and add good new maps and it's 90% there), but it's not likely. Still love the game, or at least gunfight/shoothouse.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it passed World War II. The series is obviously still alive and thriving and will be for a long time at this rate.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I feel so sorry for the competitive scene in cod. They've put so much money into this franchise cod league and the actual comp gameplay might be in the worst place it has been in 5 years. The fact it's such a raging success in sales means they'll never care to accommodate for them properly.

Priester

Oct 27, 2017
It feels, looks and sounds good to play - but a lot of 'design issues' leave it from being potentially a much better game.

Sold loads yes, probably on the name alone to be fair.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I've still to buy it but that's very impressive.

BO3, WW2, BO4 and now Modern Warfare have all done super impressive numbers. I thought they'd decline this gen but obviously not.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
Best gunplay in the series, and most visually appealing to me. Seriously reminds me of the stylistic(despite being realistic) approach MoH:Warfighter had. Also brought the gun system over too. Some one at Acti was a Warfighter fan and for that I'm thankful. Its almost a spiritual successor, although Warfighter had better maps in comparison to MW BASE maps.

Edit: By stylistic I mean while being "realistic" it has a almost cell shaded look that Warfighter had. It's very apparent in the gun models when on the table.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is great.. my 2nd best shooter of this generation (BF4 is GOAT to me), I dislike the battle passes, I dislike the fact that all the operators that are in the base game are designed to be generic af.
But I'm loving the gameplay. Yes, lots of games I have are full of camping, but lots of games aren't. As it stands, I got this game on December 2nd or third and now over 500 multiplayer games in. It's addicting as hell. Well deserved sales.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped doing the annual CoD release purchases after MW2. I did buy 2019.

Crossplay, disappointment with BFV, impressed with the PC port during open beta, some of the best audio quality Ive ever heard from a videogame(the surround is insane). It seemed like a good entry to jump back in. Even the campaign has been really solid and filled with impressive setpieces.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'll be back when they've released enough good maps to virtually erase the current crop from the pool, removed SBMM in casual modes like TDM and Domination and entirely reworked Spec Ops and its difficulty.
Best gunplay in the series, and most visually appealing to me. Seriously reminds me of the stylistic(despite being realistic) approach MoH:Warfighter had. Also brought the gun system over too. Some one at Acti was a Warfighter fan and for that I'm thankful. Its almost a spiritual successor, although Warfighter had better maps in comparison to MW BASE maps.

Edit: By stylistic I mean while being "realistic" it has a almost cell shaded look that Warfighter had. It's very apparent in the gun models when on the table.
Another fan of Warfighter?
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Time until $1B sell trough
  1. BO2 : 15 days
  2. MW3 : 16 days
  3. MW (2019) : 1 month
  4. BO : 1 month and 2 weeks
  5. MW2 : 2 months

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Time until $1B sell trough
  1. BO2 : 15 days
  2. MW3 : 16 days
  3. BO : 1 month and 2 weeks
  4. MW (2019) : 1 month and 3 weeks
  5. MW2 : 2 months

I think it's just 1 month for MW (2019).

Since it says:

"Activision also confirmed that Modern Warfare has passed $1 billion in worldwide sell through through the end of November 2019"

and the game released at the end of October.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who would have thought throwing back Modern Warfare was gonna generate enormous sales as opposed to Call of Duty in space? This seemed like the only logical outcome, and if next year's Black Ops is indeed going back to the roots of that sub-franchise too, that's gonna be another major hit too. It could, of course, be slightly damaged by the fact MW2019 has the least balanced, most outdated and worst designed multiplayer the franchise has had this decade, but the quality of the campaign (as opposed to Black Ops 4 having literally none) will definitely have other people on board who left the ship a couple installments ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Really great CoD. I dislike a bunch of the maps, but have gotten really into the chaos that is shoothouse. Customization is really well done, MT don't feel shoved in my face. I dig it.

Nov 27, 2017
California
yeah it's been a pretty good call of duty, ground war is a mess but it's still fun

Ghosts started off the gen nice, infected mode was the GOAT
Only call of duty games I didn't like were infinite warfare and advanced warfare
The rest were good

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well deserved. The best call of duty right behind Modern Warfare 2. They handled crossplay so well and I also think that's another reason why sales are going so well. Sure there are still microtransactions but the main stuff you care about (free maps) are there.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Who would have thought throwing back Modern Warfare was gonna generate enormous sales as opposed to Call of Duty in space? This seemed like the only logical outcome, and if next year's Black Ops is indeed going back to the roots of that sub-franchise too, that's gonna be another major hit too. It could, of course, be slightly damaged by the fact MW2019 has the least balanced, most outdated and worst designed multiplayer the franchise has had this decade, but the quality of the campaign (as opposed to Black Ops 4 having literally none) will definitely have other people on board who left the ship a couple installments ago.
Infinite Warfare campaign was god tier compared to MW (2019) " we aint political " clusterfuck.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
As a regular COD player over the past decade, this new game is one of the best in the series.

Oct 29, 2017
A very strange mix of incredible gunplay/sound design/reload animation, awful netcode and spawns, mediocre ass maps, fresh new modes, and a campaign that tries as hard to be controversial as possible but kinda falls flat in the end.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I bought it solely because it is crossplay. I have a total love/hate relationship with this game. Sometimes the gunplay feels great, and the customization on the guns is excellent, but the maps, the spawns, the presentation? Ugh. I can't wait for more crossplay games to come out to convince my buddies on other platforms to move on

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Lol I know right, extreme SBMM in order to protect the majority of players. While negatively impacting the hardcore players.

This makes total sense and congrats to them. From a marketing point of view SBMM has been a huge succes.

Doesn't change the fact its a horrible mechanic.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Infinite Warfare campaign was god tier compared to MW (2019) " we aint political " clusterfuck.

Absolutely agreed! Infinite Warfare had a surprisingly amazing campaign, and while it had some weak points it delivers one hell of a finale. Also, all the zero-gravity fights were refreshing. Modern Warfare feels like a Sicario-lite, and I didn't expect Call of Duty to be a thought-provoking game, so they definitely hinted at some themes without having the courage to bring 'em home. At the same time it was very enjoyable to play.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Haven't played in a while, but its really good yeh. And as long as they keep scummy practises away from this game, the success is deserved.