• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think this statement could be met with a 'no shit' reply but, really, Minecraft is absolutely the biggest selling game in the world and has a huuuuge marketplace component and, as Gene rightly points out in their tweet, was obviously a massive target for NFT nonsense.

Mojang coming out and being absolutely clear that they've been asked about this a lot and are making a definitive statement is kinda big.

View: https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1549841592416083968

Hello everyone! Recently, we've received some feedback from members of the community asking for clarification and transparency regarding Mojang Studios and Minecraft's position on NFTs (non-fungible tokens) and blockchain.

While we are in the process of updating our Minecraft Usage Guidelines to offer more precise guidance on new technologies, we wanted to take the opportunity to share our view that integrations of NFTs with Minecraft are generally not something we will support or allow.

Each of these uses of NFTs and other blockchain technologies creates digital ownership based on scarcity and exclusion, which does not align with Minecraft values of creative inclusion and playing together. NFTs are not inclusive of all our community and create a scenario of the haves and the have-nots. The speculative pricing and investment mentality around NFTs takes the focus away from playing the game and encourages profiteering, which we think is inconsistent with the long-term joy and success of our players.

As such, to ensure that Minecraft players have a safe and inclusive experience, blockchain technologies are not permitted to be integrated inside our Minecraft client and server applications nor may they be utilized to create NFTs associated with any in-game content, including worlds, skins, persona items, or other mods.

I think this is a solid statement and hopefully paves the way for others to be 100% clear on their feelings and intentions around NFTs in their titles.

Also, get better soon Gene đź’Ş

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
great news, I saw like a twitter thread of 7 nft bros claiming they only bought MC to do NFTs are are now pissed lol

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Good statement good move.

Also hopefully is a little eye opening to other game companies. If fucking Minecraft (you know, the best selling game of all time) is rejecting them, then it should be pretty obvious that they don't have a place.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
donald-glover-good.gif

Oct 28, 2017
My bold prediction: In a year nobody is talking about NFT's any more.

The crypto community (hopefully just what is left of it) will have moved on to the next fad.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Were they really selling parts of a video game they don't own. That's a pure scam.

Good decision.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone who understands this better than me explain what exactly was happening with NFTs and Minecraft? Were people somehow inserting them into the game? Or were people generating them from Minecraft art? What exactly led to this?

Last edited:

sedael

Oct 16, 2020
Can someone who understands this better explain what exactly was happening with NFTs and Minecraft? Were people somehow inserting them into the game? Or were people generating them from Minecraft art? What exactly led to this?

some servers, NFT Worlds for example, were doing the whole selling cosmetics/items/titles/event access thing but via NFTs and mojang here is saying no, thats dumb, stop doing that shit

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Can someone who understands this better explain what exactly was happening with NFTs and Minecraft? Were people somehow inserting them into the game? Or were people generating them from Minecraft art? What exactly led to this?

After a quick check, some NFT projects were making private Minecraft worlds where you can own parts (like land, items, etc) by buying NFTs of those things.

The response from NFT Worlds, lol. I guess they could start by making their own game...

View: https://twitter.com/nftworldsNFT/status/1549836877275860992

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Any sufficiently large game is going to be targeted by the pro-NFT crowd for hypotheticals about how awesome virtual ownership could be, or attempt to shoehorn a third party economy into it, and this is Mojang declaring that any such schemes are out of step with Minecraft's philosophy.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
some servers, NFT Worlds for example, were doing the whole selling cosmetics/items/titles/event access thing but via NFTs and mojang here is saying no, thats dumb, stop doing that shit

After a quick check, some NFT projects were making private Minecraft worlds where you can own parts (like land, items, etc) by buying NFTs of those things.

The response from NFT Worlds, lol. I guess they could start by making their own game...

Any sufficiently large game is going to be targeted by the pro-NFT crowd for hypotheticals about how awesome virtual ownership could be, or attempt to shoehorn a third party economy into it, and this is Mojang declaring that any such schemes are out of step with Minecraft's philosophy.

Oh gotcha, I see how it can be used for nasty stuff now. Thanks for the answers.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Geez even Microsoft doesn't know that you can use multiple slurp juices on a single ape

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Good. Get bent, NFT douches. That shit doesn't belong in games in general, let alone games targeting a younger audience.

Lol. I wonder how many douchey "teams" are "reaching out" to Microsoft to "work with them to find a solution"? Microsoft better get the "as we said, NFTs aren't allowed, please read this webpage for more info" form emails ready.

Looking forward to these idiots finding out that making a game to compete with Minecraft is hard.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see as many people as possible dunk on NFTs and their proponents.

Feb 24, 2018
Are there actually ANY mainstream games with NFTs in them? The only one I can think of was that Ubisoft Tom Clancy game but didn't that go down?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is the art director of one of the important studios on the minecraft marketplace, really happy about this decission.
Minecraft's majority of audience are kids and shouldnt even get near the crap that are nfts

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city

so1337

Oct 28, 2017