• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
When you think of Chuck Lorne you usually think of shows like Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. But there is one more show that has managed to stay as good as in the beginning.

For those unfamiliar, Mom stars a Christy and Bonnie Plunkett, two women living together who happen to have given birth in their teenage years. The first few seasons focused on trying to take care of Christy's son and daughter while warding off her ex-husband, but it has grown to focus more on their dealings with alcoholism. Together with a core group of women, they've pretty much become the main characters, with the new intro finally acknowledging that fact.

Yes, Allison Janney won an obscene amount of Emmys with this show, but the show makes a strong case for her every time. As always, discuss away.

Last edited by a moderator:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I remember hating this show when it came out. It felt like every episode was a Very Special Episode and was really dark especially for a CBS multi-cam sitcom. But, after some time, I got used to it and the show really fell into its groove around season 3. I liked that they softly reboot the show in season 5 when the kids and ex-husband were slowly written out, and it really feels like it's settled into itself. I liked the intro they had in season 5 as well. I'm not really feeling this new one for season 6.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I was ready to hate this show. CBS sitcom, Chuck Lorre, etc. But they started running reruns on Nick at Nite after Friends (which is my go-to "background noise" show) and... it's actually pretty good? It might hit a little closer to home for me because my mom is an alcoholic who had kids at a young age and just recently started trying to get her life together... But even outside that, it's pretty decent.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I got into this late, thanks to reruns, but have seen a lot of it now. I recorded the last season and maybe even the one before it, and would watch it each night.

This season has been pretty good. The show can be kind of "samey" but it's entertaining and I like the characters.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Last night's episode was subdued but nice. For anyone from Lawyer ERA, how was law school for you?

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
The episodes when Bonnie got addicted to painkillers caught me by surprise? This show can handle some serious and dark moments.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Last night's episode was pretty good, and one of the better episodes in recent memory. I haven't liked the new character much, as she's annoying.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
New episode tonight. It was pretty neat. Looks like Christy's smoking habits cost the group dearly.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
New episode tonight. It was pretty neat. Looks like Christy's smoking habits cost the group dearly.
It seems like that would've gotten brought up eventually, especially since IRL, addicts need something to be addicted to, so with Christy being a former alcoholic and gambler, she doesn't have many vices left that won't harm her in the long run. I think I am more surprised that her friends are so nonchalant about it. I haven't seen tonight's episode yet but I'm guessing they all just tell her how annoying her smoking is?

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Man, this show knows when to sucker punch you with emotions out of nowhere.

Poor Tammy.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Man, this show knows when to sucker punch you with emotions out of nowhere.

Poor Tammy.
The way you were talking, I thought she went back to jail or something. Lol. Kristen Johnston has been staying on the show for quite some time now. I thought she was annoying at first and just reminded me of Sally from 3rd Rock From the Sun, but she's growing on me. I wonder if she'll be a main character next season.

Also, did anyone else do a double-take when Boyle's doppelganger from Brooklyn Nine-Nine appeared in the episode?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I've been watching the reruns and it's actually a good show compared to a lot of other sitcoms. There's some legit good acting in this.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Uh oh. Looks like Christy and Bonnie are cracking.

EDIT: Ooh. Even Mad Margory is making an appearance.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It was a decent finale but nothing special.

Yvette was hardly used and her character was easily forgotten about because of it

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Holy shit Jill. Some of those shots those exercises were definitely done by Jamie Pressley.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
That last episode was great. The pot scene and Wendy finally sending barbs at Bonnie was amazing.

Also... is Earl a reference to the namesake show?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Does this show seem like it's more light-hearted than it's ever been? It used to be really dark in the first couple of seasons. Now it's just typical sitcom problems.

However, I will say that yesterday's Christmas episode did finally hint at some darkness. Bonnie finally feels guilty for Christy's childhood even though Christy is (finally) over it. And Christy mentioned Violet and Roscoe again in a long time and why they don't want to see her.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
There's also Tammy's aunt who turned out to be every bit of an asshole as her parents. Tammy even (sorta) wished she died in that operation. But yeah, I agree that the dark stuff hasn't hit as much.

I really hope Christie tries to settle for her son soon. She's technically a lawyer now.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
There's also Tammy's aunt who turned out to be every bit of an asshole as her parents. Tammy even (sorta) wished she died in that operation. But yeah, I agree that the dark stuff hasn't hit as much.

I really hope Christie tries to settle for her son soon. She's technically a lawyer now.
Yeah, that episode was a little dark, I guess. I also can't imagine that having a kid would get in the way of an interior designer career but I could be wrong.

As far as Christie trying to settle for her son, I doubt that will happen. The son is probably almost 18 now so it wouldn't be worth it.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Nice, Marjorie's getting closer to her family.

EDIT: Or not. Damn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
That was a fun episode. Interesting that the resident nurse Wendy hates babies.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I kinda wish they leaned more on the horror elements of their retreat from hell, but overall it was alright.

Maybe Bonnie can make write for a living. She already knows how to spin a story.

Will Christie swing to the other side of the fence? Was it pure desperation on her part? Who knows?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, not much of a following for this show on Era, huh? The writing is all over the place but Faris and Janney are a delight. Sad that Faris is walking away.