OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nagito Komeada in Danganronpa 2

Granted this is pre Danganronpa 3 retcons but for all what Komeada knew, he knew that all his classmates were members of the Super High School Despair who willingly became members of the SHSD and likely murdered hundreds if not thousands and kickstarted the apocalypse. So him trying to stop the SHSDs from getting off the island and potentially cause more damage once their memories were restored makes sense..though his actual reasoning - to become the Ultimate Hope is a bit shaky.

Too bad D3 completly nullifies Komeada's logic as the D2 Class were 100% innocent and was brainwashed by despair anime...god i hate Danganronpa 3

Nah, even before anyone got more context Nagito was extremely in the wrong:

The information painting his class as Despair was given away by Monokuma, his enemy. Had Nagito thought about it rationally he'd realise that he has no way to verify the info and that Monokuma is absolutely not to be trusted. Instead, due to his black-and-white outlook of "Hope and Talent = Good, Everything Else = Worthless" he opted to disregard everything he experienced on the island and set in motion his plans, not realising he'd been played like a fiddle by Monokuma exactly like every previous murderer (except arguably Gundham, who only killed because circumstances demanded that someone had to). Take Hajime. Nagito was in love with the guy at this point, but one glance at a file claiming he's talentless (which turned out to be, ya guessed it, not true!) and he throws a huge tantrum.

Nagito was too blinkered to ever do the right thing and only his talent bailed him out. I imagine it's also the only reason Izuru didn't smother him with a pillow immediately after they got out of VR.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
If he had respected the chain of command then there would have been a fuckton more bombers and fighters to buy them more time.

Against a single dreadnaught and it's fighter compliment they were all wiped out. What were they gonna do for 16 star destroyers and the command ship? Those 6 bombers and a couple fighters were not gonna make a difference.

Kylo and two fighters alone took out most of the fleet in the first place..... which also made the whole chase incredibly stupid at the same time when they just let them go and followed them the entire time instead of launching the over 400+ tie fighters which they had on board the fleet.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Against a single dreadnaught and it's fighter compliment they were all wiped out. What were they gonna do for 16 star destroyers and the command ship? Those 6 bombers and a couple fighters were not gonna make a difference.

Kylo and two fighters alone took out most of the fleet in the first place..... which also made the whole chase incredibly stupid at the same time when they just let them go and followed them the entire time instead of launching the over 400+ tie fighters which they had on board the fleet.
This is kinda the issue: the entire chase sequence was deeply stupid. You're telling me they couldn't have launched bombers that could have caught up and done the job? No faster ships they could have used to board the rebel ship? No missiles?

Contrivances galore to facilitate the plot!

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This is kinda the issue: the entire chase sequence was deeply stupid. You're telling me they couldn't have launched bombers that could have caught up and done the job? No faster ships they could have used to board the rebel ship? No missiles?

Contrivances galore to facilitate the plot!

Folks nitpick the wrong things in that movie frankly, all I could do was be amazed at how stupid the entire film was with its logic. The dreadnaught firing it's first shot to blow up the base FIRST, instead of the stationary flagship of the Resistance which was there only means of escape. The Dreadnaught who apparently can not maneuver or simply back away from the approaching slow bomber fleet, instead allowing them to attack. The visual guide for the movie makes it worse in that all the defensive weapon turbo lasers on the dreadnaught are on the top of it, the bottom has no turrets, only the giant cannons that take forever to recharge.... so why was everyone attacking the protected side of the dread?

The movie also goes and shows the resistance shuttles flying away from the fleet faster than the capital ships, again why couldn't the fighters do anything? They knew where the ship was at all times, why didn't they try to blockade or send ships out in front of it to intercept over all those days of the stupid chase? Twice in the film they hyperspace jump with pin point accuracy INTO the fleet chase... how the hell then could no one else do this. The FO had days of intel just following them directly, they knew every coordinate there was.

3 tie fighters alone destroyed most of the fleet and disabled the fleet's fighter compliment, they were defenseless. Theres a throw away line about not being able to cover the fighters anymore. Cover from what? The enemy had no fighters to defend itself and three ties alone took on the entire fleet, they had the Resistance dead to rights and instead they get recalled back? What.

It felt like the whole chase was given next to no thought. It's a huge part of my dislike of the film, unlike others complaints, I liked almost the rest of the film outside of the whole stupid fleet chase idea.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Folks nitpick the wrong things in that movie frankly, all I could do was be amazed at how stupid the entire film was with its logic. The dreadnaught firing it's first shot to blow up the base FIRST, instead of the stationary flagship of the Resistance which was there only means of escape. The Dreadnaught who apparently can not maneuver or simply back away from the approaching slow bomber fleet, instead allowing them to attack. The visual guide for the movie makes it worse in that all the defensive weapon turbo lasers on the dreadnaught are on the top of it, the bottom has no turrets, only the giant cannons that take forever to recharge.... so why was everyone attacking the protected side of the dread?

The movie also goes and shows the resistance shuttles flying away from the fleet faster than the capital ships, again why couldn't the fighters do anything? They knew where the ship was at all times, why didn't they try to blockade or send ships out in front of it to intercept over all those days of the stupid chase? Twice in the film they hyperspace jump with pin point accuracy INTO the fleet chase... how the hell then could no one else do this. The FO had days of intel just following them directly, they knew every coordinate there was.

3 tie fighters alone destroyed most of the fleet and disabled the fleet's fighter compliment, they were defenseless. Theres a throw away line about not being able to cover the fighters anymore. Cover from what? The enemy had no fighters to defend itself and three ties alone took on the entire fleet, they had the Resistance dead to rights and instead they get recalled back? What.

It felt like the whole chase was given next to no thought. It's a huge part of my dislike of the film, unlike others complaints, I liked almost the rest of the film outside of the whole stupid fleet chase idea.
Like I keep saying, the stuff with Rey and Luke and Kylo was great but the rest of the movie feels tacked on to give Finn and Poe stuff to do.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Like I keep saying, the stuff with Rey and Luke and Kylo was great but the rest of the movie feels tacked on to give Finn and Poe stuff to do.
Poe was fine cause he seemed like he needed to be put in his place as part of his character development. But Finn deserved so much better. Obviously, so did Rose (and Kelly Marie Tran, by extension).

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Poe was fine cause he seemed like he needed to be put in his place as part of his character development. But Finn deserved so much better. Obviously, so did Rose (and Kelly Marie Tran, by extension).
Poe sat around the whole movie and didn't really do anything. Everything to do with that starship chase just felt horrible and artificial.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
In like every romantic comedy when the main character does something mildly wrong and the movie frames it as the worst thing ever.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But the series does portray Jaime's actions as right and the slim few who find out the truth agree with him. It's everything else Jaime did afterwards that was bad.

To us, the viewers, absolutely... But up until his death he is still derided as the King Slayer.

I still think that falls under the question as laid out by the OP.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Not a Christian but didn't someone have to betray Jesus in order for him to be sacrificed and absolve mankind of the original sin, or whatever? Like as an outsider it feels like no matter what someone had to draw the short straw and end up fulfilling that role.

It is a longstanding point of debate in Christianity whether people who commit sins are fulfilling a predestined role or whether they are acting of free will.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Lucifer did nothing wrong

Walder Frey in general
Oh helllllllll nah

No matter how you feel about Robb's fuck-ups, Frey broke the guest right. That's one of the most evil sins in Westeros culture, and he was just a monster all-around.

Slight spoilers for Stranger Things Season 4.

In Episode 2 of S4, Eleven bludgeons with a roller skate a girl who was bullying her both inside their school's grounds and *outside* of them, leaving her bleeding. The episode frames this act as if Eleven has done something so horrific the entire place just freezes and gasps and stands there as if she's a complete monster for daring to do such a thing, despite only moments earlier the same people not doing anything when Eleven was visibly bullied/humiliated by a bunch of kids including the aforementioned "victim" and by the place's discjockey, and said bullying included not only a very visible group shaming in the middle of the rink - it also included Eleven being showered with food/drink *and* being recorded with a very visible handheld camera.

It fucking infuriated me. I know it's "by design", but the way the scenario was built felt so... artificially, unnaturally unfair. Like "hey, let's just pile misery upon misery and have no one argue otherwise".

Disclaimer: I haven't finished the season yet. Gotta watch Episode 4 later.
Yeah that pissed me off. I cheered when that little shit bully got bludgeoned. Fuck her. 😂

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017

In Episode 2 of S4, Eleven bludgeons with a roller skate a girl who was bullying her both inside their school's grounds and *outside* of them, leaving her bleeding. The episode frames this act as if Eleven has done something so horrific the entire place just freezes and gasps and stands there as if she's a complete monster for daring to do such a thing, despite only moments earlier the same people not doing anything when Eleven was visibly bullied/humiliated by a bunch of kids including the aforementioned "victim" and by the place's discjockey, and said bullying included not only a very visible group shaming in the middle of the rink - it also included Eleven being showered with food/drink *and* being recorded with a very visible handheld camera.

It fucking infuriated me. I know it's "by design", but the way the scenario was built felt so... artificially, unnaturally unfair. Like "hey, let's just pile misery upon misery and have no one argue otherwise".

I'm with you on this one. I don't know why anyone would have batted an eye at what El did. What those girls were doing was so cruel it felt almost artificial as you said. It almost pulled me out of the show.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Yeah that pissed me off. I cheered when that little shit bully got bludgeoned. Fuck her. 😂

I'm with you on this one. I don't know why anyone would have batted an eye at what El did. What those girls were doing was so cruel it felt almost artificial as you said. It almost pulled me out of the show.

yeah, little shit deserved what she got. It went far beyond "just" bullying, it was so cruel and uncomfortable I literally don't blame El for snapping. But basically everybody else did 🤷‍♂️

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

I don't think that episode framed her action as wrong. It was pictured like that just to make El's situation as more depressing, not to make her look guilty (for the viewers)

Heck they immediately made it go away afterwards with no fanfare by the ex-government guy.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that episode framed her action as wrong. It was pictured like that just to make El's situation as more depressing, not to make her look guilty (for the viewers)

Heck they immediately made it go away afterwards with no fanfare by the ex-government guy.
Yeah, I agree. I don't think it was so much a moral crisis point for Eleven, but a culmination of her inability to fit in at school. Her only friend is the guy whose jealous of her for being his crush's boyfriend. And if that's too dismissive, her only friend she's made since being introduced to the world is the ones she made from having bonded with them over fighting the evil of the Upside Down and US government. Which is itself sad, but here comes little...whatever her name is, with the intent of bullying El, and she has no recourse. She doesn't have any friends to back her up, she doesn't have any way of fighting back. The only way she could have fought back was with her powers, and those are gone now.

So, when she decked her with the roller blades, I think it was as intense as it was because this is the first non-supernatural way that El has performed violence...and it's one that comes with consequences. Once she does that, there's basically no outlet for El except to go back to her original captors and rebuild her powers. It's sad for El, but I don't think we're meant to see it as her reaching any kind of moral bottom. Or atleast I didn't interpret it as such and going by responses in this thread and the ST thread, I don't think anyone else did either.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

Yeah, I agree. I don't think it was so much a moral crisis point for Eleven, but a culmination of her inability to fit in at school. Her only friend is the guy whose jealous of her for being his crush's boyfriend. And if that's too dismissive, her only friend she's made since being introduced to the world is the ones she made from having bonded with them over fighting the evil of the Upside Down and US government. Which is itself sad, but here comes little...whatever her name is, with the intent of bullying El, and she has no recourse. She doesn't have any friends to back her up, she doesn't have any way of fighting back. The only way she could have fought back was with her powers, and those are gone now.

So, when she decked her with the roller blades, I think it was as intense as it was because this is the first non-supernatural way that El has performed violence...and it's one that comes with consequences. Once she does that, there's basically no outlet for El except to go back to her original captors and rebuild her powers. It's sad for El, but I don't think we're meant to see it as her reaching any kind of moral bottom. Or atleast I didn't interpret it as such and going by responses in this thread and the ST thread, I don't think anyone else did either.

yes, tbh I kinda debated whether to post that example or not because I didn't think it quite fit, but then I decided to go ahead anyway because I guess I needed to vent. And at this point I think I realize my frustration was less against how it's framed "to the viewer" and more of a frustration against bullying itself. As someone who was bullied in school, this brought back some unpleasant memories/feelings back to the surface and I think it was the general people in the rink's slack-jawed expression of surprise (or, hell, their laughing at El's misery at her bullying, even if they weren't dancing around her specifically alongside that little blonde shit) at El's snapping back as if she hadn't been publicly humiliated by them only minutes ago. Like, did they expect her to just fade away or something? Anyway, apologies for my sort of rambling. I believe it's less a "El's a monster now!" framing and more of a "let's just dial up the cruelty to ridiculous levels now, let's pile upon the misery against the poor kid, eh?" that kinda set me off.

But still, little blonde shit deserved that skate to the face.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Raya and the Last Dragon

Pulling the sword on Namaari when she pulled out the crossbow first and on top of that had proven that she could not be trusted multiple times despite how much the movie wanted to harp on trying to tell Raya to trust the person who's fault all this shit is. Namaari was basically dragged kicking and screaming into doing the right thing by the end. Namaari killed Sisu, not Raya. Raya did nothing wrong.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Reading a webtoon.

Main character is training to be a swordman, joins a tournement held by a group of legendary dwarf and he won, because of his potentional without fighting anyone.

The dwarf promise to make him a sword one uear from now, so he decide to go on a journey with his cat and a friend, when two of the runner-up, two sword master block his way, covered in blood and one toss him the cut head of another contestant.

Saying to him they killed all other contestant and people that want his sword, and if he give to them, they might let him live.

Another person heet saw what happened and called her boss, a frmale knight, what she see is two adult swordmaster, covered in blood, and a cut head of another swordman, pointing their blade at a boy and his cat, and she killed the two swordmaster quickly.

Main chacter then ask a weird question to the female knight, I dont mean to be insulting, but how can you murder them?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Mutants should have to register.

I'll see myself out.
Hated minority that has suffered two genocides in a single generation should be made to register with a government frequently infiltrated by or working with people looking to commit genocide on them because a handful of them are really powerful, just like a whole shitton of other people in the world not required to register with the government just because they exist?

That sounds right to you?

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021

What moment are you thinking of? They make it clear that Saturos, Menardi, and Felix were actually attempting to rejuvenate the world, even if they were a bit assholish about it, and they never actually did anything too terrible. Outside of that, Alex was out for power the entire time. The Wise One knew he wasn't putting Isaac and Jenna & Felix's parents in any real danger, and he even warned everyone near the remaining Lighthouses and Sol Sanctum to get them out of harm's way.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Hated minority that has suffered two genocides in a single generation should be made to register with a government frequently infiltrated by or working with people looking to commit genocide on them because a handful of them are really powerful, just like a whole shitton of other people in the world not required to register with the government just because they exist?

That sounds right to you?

Before we even get to that point there should be some type of doctors check ups to make sure the kids are safe when they go through puberty and have their powers manifest. And of course that way we're going to register what their powers are. So we don't have a 13-year-old kid with the ability to make peoples brains explode going on check. Especially in this day and age of bullying in school shooters.

I feel like in the real world Professor X would actually be OK with this and wanted to be the one to do the registration. Or X Factor. We don't need some real life Quentin Quire to get teased for his dick size and decide to omega level his entire city.

Funny thing is, since these are basically kids being born with guns, I can see the Republicans supporting "no registration "side. Because kids need their ability to shoot lasers out of their eyes to hunt deer or possibly rise up against the socialist government.

Last edited:

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Captain Jellico from Star Trek TNG?

He came in and reorganised the Enterprise into a more efficient ship, he instilled a greater sense of professionalism, and handled a near-war diplomatic crisis with the Cardassians with phenomenal insight and strategy. He was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Yet the episode frames the petulant brat Riker as the hero against the mean Jellico.

I know which one I'd prefer commanding any Starship I was serving on.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Before we even get to that point there should be some type of doctors check ups to make sure the kids are safe when they go through puberty and have their powers manifest. And of course that way we're going to register what their powers are. So we don't have a 13-year-old kid with the ability to make peoples brains explode going on check. Especially in this day and age of bullying in school shooters.

I feel like in the real world Professor X would actually be OK with this and wanted to be the one to do the registration. Or X Factor. We don't need some real life Quentin Quire to get teased for his dick size and decide to omega level his entire city.

Funny thing is, since these are basically kids being born with guns, I can see the Republicans supporting "no registration "side. Because kids need their ability to shoot lasers out of their eyes to hunt deer or possibly rise up against the socialist government.
Wasn't this covered in one of the X-men comics where there's a kid that suddenly manifests a mutant ability just gives off an aura that disintegrates/irradiates everything around them, he's killed thousands of people in a matter of hours just by existing, and it's only going to get stronger. Xavier sends in wolverine to pretty much kill the kid before he's used to stoke anti-mutant sentiment and justify oppression even higher. That was pretty dark.

I always liked the commentary of the Morlocks in the late 80s comics that I read as a kid, that mutants with distasteful minor powers or severe physical mutation are far more vulnerable than some of the Xmen who have cool powers and are attractive people who can hide their abilities, have the tech and funding of a small special ops mercenary group and live in a mansion. I thought the whole 'what if a mutant kid wipes out his own town and will continue to be a walking dirty bomb until they die' to be just kinda nihilistic to the point of 'I don't know how to feel about this' though.

Last edited:

Bengraven