FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
You are turning a page, or a scan.
And then you are surprised.
In a good way, in terror, in anxiety, in a huge revelation.

Because everything clicked about the story and you thought "omg the author is a genius"
Because you didn"t anticipated the event
Because you love characters.

What moment break your jaw while reading a manga?

Me it's on Fullmetal Alchemist
HUGE SPOILER
When Envy revealed he killed the child and started the Ishval War. Seriously, the draw by Arakawa with the crazy eyes of Envy so proud to have slaughtered millions of people, so proud that it started by killing a child. So proud that many stuff that made cried or become bad people some characters (Scar, Envy, Mustang, Hughes, Armstrong, Marcoh, Hawkeye) are because of him. Seriously i was VERY angry against the character and then....he revealed his true form, a gigantic Cerberus coming straight from your horrors nightmares, here to show us how easy we can be manipulate so we kill each other

Seriously it was insane.
And you?

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it have to be while reading? Cause when I was watching FMA brotherhood, when Mustang comes back from the dead and goes full scorched earth. That was fuckin baller.

OP
OP

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
Does it have to be while reading? Cause when I was watching FMA brotherhood, when Mustang comes back from the dead and goes full scorched earth. That was fuckin baller.

well i m thinking about reading because for FMA (for example) the anime Brotherhood didn"t do much good justice about the tone of the manga with some not good music, and some art style sometime strange.
Many moments on the anime are less darker than the manga and have less impact.

BUT the Mustang one you said, was well in anime too.

And i don't know, maybe when you turn a page and you see the revelation, you feel more impacted, but maybe we could add anime to the discussion.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Raizo is alive and well!!!"
I was speechless for a good while. Went completely against what I thought was gonna happen and ends up being one of the most powerful moments in One Piece, and manga in general.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ending of the Chimera Ant arc in Hunter X Hunter. It may not necessarily sound cool on paper, but the way it's built up and how it's executed is just masterful, really. I don't think any other shounen could have gotten away with such an end for a villain, but in the arc's incredibly well-built sequence it's the most brilliant ending it could have. I was speechless.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
All the artwork in Gon.
tumblr_nkfq5y78iD1ru7lgno3_1280.jpg

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Recently

Jojo part 7
Diego using the World

Vinland Saga
Askkladd killing king Swyen

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some of the gore in JoJo freaked me the fuck out.

The scene with the dude getting bloated by Santana always gave me nightmares.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
I have only read a handful of mangas but the Buddhist Temple Alien Mission in Gantz definitely fits the bill for me.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Most recently: Tokyo Tarareba Girls vol. 8
Rinko tears into Key's own "what-if"isms, then shouts, "There! Can't you see them?!". Then there's the two page spread of Milt and Liver in the sky, followed by Key looking up in their direction, horrified. What a great scene.
Something else that came to mind was this great reveal that tied together the whole story:
When it's revealed that Koro-sensei is/was the world's greatest assassin. Considering that he taught his class that the best assassins should master as much as they can, not to mention his previous failures as a teacher, Koro-sensei's being both Extremely Good at teaching and incredibly unkillable made all kinds of sense at that moment.
Dunno if either were "jaw-dropping", but they were surprising and extremely well-executed scenes.

Attack on Titan: The thread
For real though.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I was speechless for a good while. Went completely against what I thought was gonna happen and ends up being one of the most powerful moments in One Piece, and manga in general.
YES

I remember the exact moment I read it

I was fuckin stunned. Teared up a little

May 30, 2018

OP spoilers

14-15.png

Unreal scene. Watched it in the anime and I Was completely amazed. Was my first thought, too bad you beat me to it

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here is an immediate recent one I read that comes to mind:

WARNING: DEMON SLAYER/KIMETSU NO YAIBA MANGA SPOILERS
Zenitsu using the 7th breath.

Also, don't know how it turned out in the anime but the elder centipede fight in the OPM manga floored me.

Last edited:

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
While the examples in the OP were noted as good/awesome things, my two examples are tragedy based. I think they'll still count, though.

8-gatsu no Ghost
You find out early on what is going to happen at the end when the plot goes back into the past, but the latter half of Chapter 9 and that end panel absolutely tore right through me emotionally as I wasn't expecting it to do it as well as it did with that moment — even though I could see it coming.

The minimal amount of dialogue used alongside the mixing of the present and past, along with that end panel, went beyond my expectations for what I thought would happen. And then the beginning of the final chapter wraps things up from the other character's end in just the same way.

Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
There's more than a number of places where this manga is jaw dropping due to what happens, but that last chapter took the cake in terms of hitting right through me. I couldn't read anything emotional for a few days after finishing it because it was that impactful.

The jaw dropping part for me is that it was a rare instance where unexplained plot points, usually a negative, was irrelevant as the real focus was on the two main characters and their bittersweet love story. A lot of times you have manga where it wraps things up neatly at the end (at least the main plot points), but this one was melancholy on purpose. I haven't read something exactly like this since, either.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Literally today reading Lone Wolf and Cub Vol. 3 chapter 3 Deer Chaser

The group of "deer chasers" who are con artists destroy the directions to the client and are going to pretend to be Lone Wolf and Cub to take the fee (500 ryo) and abscond with it. Their leader disguises himself to be Itto and sends his troupe to steal a kid around three years old, they come back and it took a page but it hit me like lightning when I realized that they came back with Daigoro (for anyone who hasn't read it and read this spoiler anyways Daigoro is the titular Cub, putting the deer chasers in even deeper shit then they already were for the impersonation).

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Most recently the chapter with Pound and his monologue to his daughter and granddaughter that he never got to see. So sad

One Piece not sure on the chapter

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Almost every chapter in Ichi the Killer.

Edit: In Berserk
Scene where Casca finally recognizes and remembers Guts after years of being reduced to a child mentally

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
A certain infamous scene from Berserk comes to mind.
End of the Golden Age arc, during the Eclipse
The whole manga is crazy but when it came to that part of the story I had to put the book down for a minute and process what I seen. Fantastic series.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
The ending of Saboady Archipelago in One Piece was entirely unexpected and absolutely floored me. Also the Pudding reveal in Wholecake Island.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This page broke me for an evening.

One Punch Man Webcomic Spoiler:
05XDrL8.png

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Pretty much this entire damn volume of Berserk just from the sheer art quality

Zodd's remaining horn always seems way too big, it's the size of his entire head.

This part made me step back and be like "whoa":

xDFVaD4.png

Seeing it return in Dark Souls 2 was pretty cool though.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also the chapter "I Would" from Akumetsu. Just 10+ pages of spreads featuring slaughter. It was definitely something to behold.
cWjUQfm.png

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Here is an immediate recent one I read that comes to mind:

WARNING: DEMON SLAYER/KIMETSU NO YAIBA MANGA SPOILERS
Zenitsu using the 7th breath.

Also, don't know how it turned out in the anime but the elder centipede fight in the OPM manga floored me.

In terms of page turners, when at the beginning of the manga Zenitsu goes

'Breath of lightning, first form, thunderclap and flash...

6 in a row'

And you turn the page to this

images

was hype as hell.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, you liking One Piece for the past 900 chapters, eh?

there's a main antagonist now

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hoshi no Samidare

Many moments.
Dog Knigth death was so unexpected.
But my favorite is the one with "you don't see it? It's right there.
The anti biscuit hammer counter weapon. BLUE DRIVES MONSTER."

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Blade of the Immortal had a lot of these moments especially in the later half. Its hard to find specific spreads and panels online sadly.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
DRAGON HEAD

They take a helicopter into the volcano and BOTH PAGES ARE COMPLETELY BLACKED OUT!!!!

Never seen that done before, and it was so effective and justified.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
late dr stone manga spoilers

when the whole ship got petrified I was shook

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
The entire story and the final arc leading up to this moment in Shin Angyo Onshi is perfection.

1454497493188.jpg

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My Hero Academia (Upcoming Season Spoilers)

When Mirio goes to save Eri from being shot without a second thought and loses his powers in the process. The panel with him smiling at her as he saves her gets me everytime.