Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.tmz.com/2018/01/19/monique-netflix-boycott-black-women/#disqus_thread

Mo'Nique claims Netflix severely short-changed her during negotiations for a comedy special ... and she says the proof is in how much some other comedians got paid for specials.

The Oscar winner told us Friday ... Netflix offered her $500k, but she rejected the offer in light of the fact Amy Schumer, Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock pocketed eight figures. Mo'Nique's not just walking away from the table though ... she's now calling for a boycott of Netflix.

She strongly believes this is case of racism and sexism -- especially because she'd stack her resume in comedy up against anyone else.
That's a pretty lame offer from Netflix, especially after dropping millions and millions on Chapelle's questionable specials..

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Shes not known for Standup. Those other three are.

Chappelle is black and hadnt done any thing on tv in years. Same with Rock.

Schumer had a CC show. Monique is known for being an actress not a standup comedian.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mo'nique hasn't been relevant for like over a decade.

What on earth is she turning her nose at 500k for?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Shes not known for Standup. Those other three are.

Chappelle is black and hadnt done any thing on tv in years. Same with Rock.

Schumer had a CC show. Monique is known for being an actress not a standup comedian.
She made her name in standup first, which led to acting. I don't think she's worth the contracts of the other comedians she named, though.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe it is sexism, but I don't see how race plays in if she's comparing her offer to Chappelle's and Rock's. To me, $500K seems like a hell of a payday for standup I've never heard of....and I'm relatively in tune with the bigger stand up names out there.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is sexism, but I don't see how race plays in if she's comparing her offer to Chappelle's and Rock's. To me, $500K seems like a hell of a payday for standup I've never heard of....and I'm relatively in tune with the bigger stand up names out there.
I don't even follow stand-up and that fact that she was a stand up comedian was something that I knew :\

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
She's not at, or anywhere near, the level of those other comedians. What are other comics at her level being offered by Netflix?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I really don't want to shit up the thread with a "who?" post but man I've never heard of this person and I'm not sure she's quite in the caliber of the people she listed?

Granted I could be wrong.

Also I could maybe see it better if she came at it as she has had less of a breakout career because of a bias as she's climbing the ladder.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
She made her name in standup first, which lead to acting. I don't think she's worth the contracts of the other comedians she named, though.
Can you name the last stand up special she did without Googling it?

She turned herself into a fine actress worthy of some awards, but two of the three she mentioned havent done a tv special in years, and Schumer has carried her own comedy movies and CC specials in the past 5 years.

This is a nothingburger. The people she used an example are the top tier of standups, even with Schumer supposedly stealing jokes, they bring the viewers

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She calls it racism and names three examples of comedians who got paid extraordinarily of which 2 are black?

Oh, come the fuck on...I'm even starting to pity Netflix here.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I obviously don't know anything about what a normal contract for a comedy special would look like but I'm not sure comparing herself to those three helps make her point. They're probably 3 of the biggest comedians on Betflix.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
come on dave chappelle really, he's in a totally different ball park. just as kevin hart is in his own literal ball park.

Chamomile

Oct 25, 2017
Mo'nique is lucky to have even been offered that much considering how many bridges she's burned last year

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mo'nique is, or at the very least was, a well known stand up comedian.

I didn't watch much of her, but what I did watch, I liked.

She had a shot at real success here, she should have seized the opportunity instead of burning more bridges.

Calling for a boycott on fucking Netflix is lunacy. Just say no and move on.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with these stories about celebrity salaries is you're comparing apples to oranges. Obviously guys like Chapelle are just way bigger names period, but especially in comedy, than Monique (like others I didn't even know she did stand up). You would need to compare the 500k to what Netflix offered someone with a similar profile before you can know if this is fair or not.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a joke. I had too google her and then I went "ohhhh shes that woman from Precious".

Thats literally the only thing I know her from. Maybe that had something to do?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think this has anything to do with being a black woman, and everything to do with her not having the cache as those other listed comics, especially in terms of stand up.

I guess you could make the argument that the reason she isn't more well-known and popular for her stand-up is because she is a black woman. I feel like most people know her from her acting career, which tbh is just as good or better than the other comedians she references...but this isn't an acting gig.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
Shumer, Dave, and Chris Rock are actually major draws. Nobody gives a fuck about Monique. Pretty simple.

Burn bridges and starve yourself for nothing, brehettes.

knocturnalis

Oct 27, 2017
When was her last special, and what was the name of it. Name any of her specials without Googling it.

I can name all three of these performers specials, including Dave and Rock's from over a decade ago.
I Could Have Been Your Cellmate. I saw it on Netflix. I also remember the Queens of Comedy.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
She killed herself

You air out the deal... Then you ask people to boycott the same people willing to write you check?

Dumbass Business

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
yes, she's relevant. yes she's a standup comedienne. and yes people would pay to see her netflix thing. no one would expect white men aged 18-50 to know about her, but she can and does sell.

She killed herself

You air out the deal... Then you ask people to boycott the same people willing to write you check?

Dumbass Business
'nique is known for calling peoples bullshit out on the red carpet in front of the cameras.

Chamomile

Oct 25, 2017
Amy Schumer brings in a lot of Becky coins. She's extremely relevant like her material or not. Dave Chapelle, while some of his jokes are transphobic, is also a huge draw

Oct 26, 2017
No idea who she is but I sure as hell know who the other three are, for better or worse. So no, it probably wasn't because of racism.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
It's not like she's on the same level as those other comedians right now. She's crazy to reject any offer for a Netflix special after her acting career fell apart. Wow.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I Could Have Been Your Cellmate. I saw it on Netflix. I also remember the Queens of Comedy.
So she deserves chappelle money for being a part of queens of comedy? Ced the entertainer getting that money for doing kings of comedy?

This stuff is 15 years ago.

She hasnt been cast in anything in two years according to her wiki.

Wrong hill to die on

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had no idea who Monique was before Googling her and I still don't after the fact, how does she honestly think she can command the same pay as Chris fucking rock.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Well this is Mo'nique's brand of negotiation. If she kicks up enough of a fuss I can see ol' netflix throwing her an extra million.

No matter how good she is comparing her draw to Rock and Chappelle in 2018 is silly. I'd be curious to hear what netflix paid Katt Williams though.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like she's really good at burning bridges. She has beef with Tyler Perry, Lee Daniels, Oprah and now Netflix? cmon.

MrZaha

Jan 9, 2018
Didnt she get blackballed in hollywood with no one trying to hire her? From that position why would she get as much as the other three.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've heard her name mentioned outside of some nostalgia threads in the last 5 years and it was not for stand up comedy. Not sure why she was expecting millions of dollars when she hasn't been a stand up comedian of any note for like a decade, if not more.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Amy Schumer had:

- A successful Comedy Central show
- A movie she wrote and starred in that made $140 million at the box office
- Two sold out shows at Madison Square Garden

I'm not even a fan of Amy Schumer, but for Mo'Nique to compare herself to Schumer is silly.

Schumer was super hot at the time and understood that she had leverage.