• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing she just wasn't the draw. She had a show a while back which was excellent but canceled due to low ratings. Female comedians have always had trouble equalling the success of men despite, in my opinion, being equally as talented. Why the backlash to the Ghostbusters movie? It wasn't bad.
Ghostbusters movie had both sexist backlash and a lot of real issues. None really the fault of the actresses though.

Nov 4, 2017
Not really. It was generally considered a solid film. RT ranks it much higher than the 1989 sequel with the original cast. I'm not seeing the hate for that film. It was pretty much all sexism by the same gamergate morons.
This is very obviously not true. The styles of the movies are so wildly different. One is much more subtle, dry comedy. The other is really in your face, almost slapstick. A lot of people that like the more subtle style of comedy did not like the newer Ghostbusters for totally legitimate reasons.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is very obviously not true. The styles of the movies are so wildly different. One is much more subtle, dry comedy. The other is really in your face, almost slapstick. A lot of people that like the more subtle style of comedy did not like the newer Ghostbusters for totally legitimate reasons.

Ghostbusters II had its moments. All of them did, really. Going to watch em all again.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
It's only really lowballing compared to the big names though. Netflix is basically saving stand up comedy in a lot of ways because it's not like there are tons of other places they can go to get this kind of money or any airtime on TV.

HBO, Showtime, and Hulu is about it. All the comedians go to Netflix because it's turned itself into the best platform for stand up.
Yea it did except for black women it seems

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I'm arguing that no one actually knows if this special would cause a new demographic of users to sign up in significant numbers.
And I'm arguing that it would serve an otherwise under served demographic.

I'm not going to dig through Netflix's catalog for a forum debate.
You don't have to because, as far as I know, there aren't any. There may be one or two that I could've missed, but I've never seen any.

Genuinely asking but, who are your favorite top black female comedians these days? If you want to name your favorites I can tell you honestly if I've ever heard of them.
Mo'nique, Tiffany Haddish, Sommore, Lunell, Adele Givens (who I actually just found out is making a stop in my city soon, gonna have to go to that), Wanda Sykes, Sheryl Underwood, etc. Now you may not know most, or any, of these names. But trust and believe that black women do.

DreamMakers

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
That's cute ignoring the rest of my statement cause you don't have an argument we're done here

Dont have an argument against your assumption.. show me proof they have all this data ? How do you know ? Wheres your employee card.? Are you their data analyst ? Show me the proof they specifically used their data to lowball Wanda. Whats cute is you did imply them hiding their data is bad by simply implying they hide their data, you got called out and now you are trying to switch the topic.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I am white. I guess that gives you the go-ahead to immediately dismiss my opinion.
Doesn't dismiss your opinion but it more than likely explains why you have never heard of her. Her movies and comedy appeal to a black american demographic, especially black women. As do the names Zero315 just listed. When Netflix went after Sykes and Monique, it wasn't to appeal to you, the white male. It's to establish a presence for black women to find comedy that interests them. Same as when HBO went after Issa Rae (who I bet a ton of white people will say "who?") for a TV show.

Nov 4, 2017
Mo'nique, Tiffany Haddish, Sommore, Lunell, Adele Givens (who I actually just found out is making a stop in my city soon, gonna have to go to that), Wanda Sykes, Sheryl Underwood, etc. Now you may not know most, or any, of these names. But trust and believe that black women do.
Adele Givens is on Netflix I think. I didn't know who she was but I distinctly remember watching one of her sets. Mo'nique is now. Sounds like they tried for Sykes.

I at least recognize a picture of Lunell, but I don't recognize any of the others. Trying for 3/7 of them that we know of isn't terrible. I guess they can keep trying to improve.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That's also why they can lowball ppl because they hide the data

Netflix will never publicize viewing data because it doesn't have to.

It's only really lowballing compared to the big names though. Netflix is basically saving stand up comedy in a lot of ways because it's not like there are tons of other places they can go to get this kind of money or any airtime on TV.

HBO, Showtime, and Hulu is about it. All the comedians go to Netflix because it's turned itself into the best platform for stand up.

Amazon is always an option. And that could easily be used to justify bigger numbers. Mo'Nique published her 2016 special on Amazon Video. If she was pulling in $2-3 million for that, why not just do it again? More importantly, why not use those sales numbers in negotiation? On the flip side, if that 2016 special didn't do well in sales, then that's going to hurt her case for more money.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Adele Givens is on Netflix I think. I didn't know who she was but I distinctly remember watching one of her sets. Mo'nique is now. Sounds like they tried for Sykes.
Mo'nique and possibly Adele have material on Netflix as part of Shaq's All-Star Comedy Jam, which is not the same as having a Netflix produced original comedy special.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't dismiss your opinion but it more than likely explains why you have never heard of her. Her movies and comedy appeal to a black american demographic, especially black women. As do the names Zero315 just listed. When Netflix went after Sykes and Monique, it wasn't to appeal to you, the white male. It's to establish a presence for black women to find comedy that interests them. Same as when HBO went after Issa Rae (who I bet a ton of white people will say "who?") for a TV show.

Since her demographic is so specific it only strengthens paying her less because she has a niche market

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Since her demographic is so specific it only strengthens paying her less because she has a niche market
That doesn't always translate.

Issa Rae's show Insecure appeals to black women, so it could be considered a "niche market" but it has better ratings than Lena Dunahm's Girls, which was supposed to appeal to all girls. Don't underestimate how passionate a black audience is about their media. They bring in numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
You're implying that she would be watched due to her blackness as opposed to her talent.

I have yet to see a Mo'Nique fan in this thread

No I'm not. I'm replying to a post suggesting that her only appeal is the black market, which in turn is making that implication. Maybe reply to that post instead *shrug*

Also, I quite like Mo'Nique. I am not a fan, though you would be hardpressed to find actors or actress of whom I am a fan. Question though, did you read every post and do a careful analysis of their contents?

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Lol I get it you hate her Idc we done talking, get over your issues and her comedy ain't just about her weight and comedy is subjective

No, but if you look at the age of modern entertainment.. A very substantial portion of those comedians were black

Sammy Davis Jr
Redd Foxx
Bill Cosby (I'm not saying you have to like him but he was damn funny.)
Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy
Dave Chapelle

IIRC they were all black and very much the best there has ever been.
Mo'Nique is just making excuses for her own mediocrity.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
No, but if you look at the age of modern entertainment.. A very substantial portion of those comedians were black

Sammy Davis Jr
Redd Foxx
Bill Cosby (I'm not saying you have to like him but he was damn funny.)
Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy
Dave Chapelle

IIRC they were all black and very much the best there has ever been.
Mo'Nique is just making excuses for her own mediocrity.
To be fair, she is talking about being a black woman, that is key to her entire arguement. All of the people you mentioned were black men.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Did I say it was but they can certainly use it to not pay someone more don't misconstruct my statements
Well I'm off to work I'll reply to any that does so to me in a few hours behave ppl
So what's the problem? By your own admission Netflix did this so they could pay bigger names more money. Mo'nique isn't big enough to command more money from them. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
No I'm not. I'm replying to a post suggesting that her only appeal is the black market, which in turn is making that implication. Maybe reply to that post instead *shrug*

Also, I quite like Mo'Nique. I am not a fan, though you would be hardpressed to find actors or actress of whom I am a fan. Question though, did you read every post and do a careful analysis of their contents?

That's fair. I apologize for coming off as reactionary. My comments have more to do with Mo'Nique specifically rather than POC in general.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DUFpo2vVMAAGYj0.jpg

DeRay Davis said he got 5 million. more hmmms to add to the pile

Anybody want to make the argument about how much more bankable DeRay is compared to Mo'nique or Sykes?

Illest1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Chris Rock gets the dough that is pretty much destroying her argument, isn't it? It's obviously not about race. And Amy Schumer proves it's not about gender. So what could it be? Maybe that those other comedians are internationally known? I never heard of her TBH.

Black women have it just about the worst in the U.S.

White man
White woman
Black man
Black woman

You can add Hispanics somewhere below White Woman.

To say a white woman and black men get paid takes away her argument is ridiculous.