• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a persistent issue that I hope to finally get rectified, since I'll likely be using the same monitor for my upcoming new job, and would rather get this sorted to avoid future complications.

The monitor in question is an ASUS Ultrawide Monitor: https://www.asus.com/us/displays-desktops/monitors/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-vg34vql1b/

The desktop I'm using it on is an HP Omen Desktop (I also plan to use my work laptop via a dock, but that's irrelevant for now): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...080-1tb-ssd-jet-black/6487503.p?skuId=6487503

The monitor is connected to the PC port using the included cable. I also have an LG OLED that's connected to another port on the PC, as I like to switch to the TV whenever I'm gaming.

The problem that happens is that occasionally, my monitor's display will turn off and on. That doesn't mean it powers off, it just means it loses the display (light goes from orange to white). The display will constantly display on and off, about 3-5 seconds in-between. The only way I've found to fix this is to turn off the power button on the monitor and turn it back on. Even unplugging the display cable from the back won't fix it, only turning it off and on seems to do it (and not even all the time, which forces me to just do a hard reset on the PC).

I notice this tends to happen when certain windows open up, such as a PDF page I'm opening to print, or the Steam window (sometimes Steam games as well, but not as often).

This seems to happen most consistently when I have HDR turned on in my monitor's side. Having HDR turned on when my TV is displayed doesn't seem to effect the TV at all.

It had gotten to the point that I recently issued a warranty replacement with ASUS, as the live chat couldn't help me to fix it. At first I thought this was the solution, having not had any problems with the new (new in box, not refurbished, at least I don't think so) monitor the first week or so....until it started happening again.

Even if I leave HDR turned off, I'll still run into the occasional issue where my monitor will not display after waking up my PC in sleep mode. Again, I have to manually reset the PC at this point, and it's an annoying process I really want to solve, even if I don't use HDR much on my monitor (again, I mostly game on my TV).

I'm also running Windows 11 if that helps. If you require any other details, including any programs I have running in the background (for example, I have Monitor Profile Switcher, so that I can easily switch the display with a hotkey) or anything else that might be the source of this interference, ask me and I'll be happy to share. I really want to get this issue sorted before I start my job.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I have a similar issue when enabling 10-bit color through nVidia. Might want to check that.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
What's the included cable, HDMI? Have you tried a different cable, or perhaps displayport?

I once had a similar issue (and posted about it on here before) and it turned out i had a bad displayport cable that wasn't properly grounded or something and whenever someone in the house turned on the fluorescent light in the bathroom it would cause my screen to glitch/go black lollll

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the included cable, HDMI? Have you tried a different cable, or perhaps displayport?

I once had a similar issue (and posted about it on here before) and it turned out i had a bad displayport cable that wasn't properly grounded or something and whenever someone in the house turned on the fluorescent light in the bathroom it would cause my screen to glitch/go black lollll

Displayport. And it's not the same one I used with the monitor I turned in, it was the newest one that came with the replacement.

Someone on Reddit suggested I need a stronger cable:

Some napkin math suggests you might need 30Gbps so that's gonna be more reliable with a DisplayPort cable (DP1.4 or better) or for HDMI, it will have to be hdmi 2.1 supporting 8k or the full 40gbps bandwidth (assuming the ports on your gpu and monitor support those speeds).

If anyone happens to know a cable from Amazon that "should" work, I would love a link. Just so I could rule that out.

Though according to my purchase history, I tried this cable but returned it as it didn't fix the problem: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-DisplayPort-Resolution-Support/dp/B08FBJYWTJ

I have a similar issue when enabling 10-bit color through nVidia. Might want to check that.

Where do I check for that? And what should it be set to?

Last edited:

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Where do I check for that? And what should it be set to?

NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Change Resolution > Use Nvidia color settings

10-bit is the value you would ideally want for an HDR or wide-gamut display. But you can try setting it to 8-bit to see if it fixes your problem. That will require less bandwidth for your video cable.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Does it happen if it's just the monitor plugged into the card? When you have the TV unplugged from the computer?

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Change Resolution > Use Nvidia color settings

10-bit is the value you would ideally want for an HDR or wide-gamut display. But you can try setting it to 8-bit to see if it fixes your problem. That will require less bandwidth for your video cable.

This is how I had it:

monitornvidiasettings73evu.jpg

I changed it to "Use Nvidia color settings", wont' let me change the color depth past 8 bpc.

I turned HDR back on and opened the windows that tend to turn the display off. So far no problems, but it's too early to say.

Does it happen if it's just the monitor plugged into the card? When you have the TV unplugged from the computer?

I always have the TV plugged into the PC, haven't tested with it unplugged.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, so I've tried the two suggestions posted before: set the color settings to "Use Nvidia color settings" and having the HDMI cable that plugs my TV to the PC disconnected.

Unfortunately, I still get the blinking issue. Opened up a VLC movie, and the second the window started playing the monitor went into blinking mode. And it wouldn't stop even when turning the monitor on and off: had to turn off HDR to fix it.

So what should my next step be? Try a different cable? Keep in mind I already tried the one posted before: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-DisplayPort-Resolution-Support/dp/B08FBJYWTJ

If there's a better cable I could try, kindly link me to it.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
This happens to me sometimes. Usually once I've launched a game, the display will alternate on/off.

When I alt+tab to desktop, it stops. But going back to the game it starts again.

If I disable gsync and re-enable, the problem stops

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This happens to me sometimes. Usually once I've launched a game, the display will alternate on/off.

When I alt+tab to desktop, it stops. But going back to the game it starts again.

If I disable gsync and re-enable, the problem stops

The problem stops for how long? How often do you need to do this?

For me it's almost constant. I could try your G-sync method but I'm still hoping for a permanent fix where this will never happen, or very rarely at least.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
The problem stops for how long? How often do you need to do this?

For me it's almost constant. I could try your G-sync method but I'm still hoping for a permanent fix where this will never happen, or very rarely at least.

It's not everytime I start a game, but maybe 25% of the time? Maybe a little less
And it's only games. Never seems to happen on desktop

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm currently trying out this HDMI cable that I bought today from Amazon for the monitor: https://www.amazon.com/8K-HDMI-Cabl...prefix=hdmi+cable+40gb+8k,aps,114&sr=8-3&th=1

So far no issues, though it's only been a few minutes. Opened up a few videos, trying to find other HDR content and games to monitor the situation.

But assuming this cable DOES do the trick, I'm left with one more hurdle: my desktop only has one HDMI port, which means I can't connect my LG TV to it along with the monitor if I decide to keep this cable.

I assume an HDMI-to-Displayport cable or adapter will do the trick, but if anyone could point me to one that should work without issue, please do so. Or if I should be using an HDMI/Displayport cable over an adapter. The adapter would be the cheaper option but if it could lead to bandwidth problems again (with the monitor or my TV) then I'd like to know ahead of time.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Does it have gsync?
My monitor has gsync and when I use certain apps like Premiere Pro, if I drag a clip or do anything in it, it will be turn off the screen like I disconnected the display port cable.
I turned off Gsync and it fixed it

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Does it have gsync?
My monitor has gsync and when I use certain apps like Premiere Pro, if I drag a clip or do anything in it, it will be turn off the screen like I disconnected the display port cable.
I turned off Gsync and it fixed it

For me this to that my monitor switches off, when Gsync was on and I forwarded the signal from my first monitor to the second WQHD 144Hz monitor via Display port.
Either I have to switch off the Gsync or directly connect said monitor to my desktop pc

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020
I have 1 or 2 HDMI cables that cause my monitor to periodically lose display for a few seconds. Simply switching to one of my other cables fixes it. Try that before you waste any more time