• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
TastyInfatuatedDolphin-size_restricted.gif

Today marks the twentieth anniversary since Monolith Soft was founded (October 1st, 1999).

Since the studio's founding, they have created multiple games under Bandai Namco and now Nintendo. They're responsible for the Xenosaga and Xenoblade Chronicles series. They've also created lesser known series such as Baten Kaitos, Project X Zone, and many individual games such as Soma Bringer, Disaster: Day of Crisis, etc.

Let's celebrate one of the most talented gaming studio in the world. Here's to another twenty years!

Oct 29, 2017
I have the Xenosaga trilogy on disc and still have not played the latter two. I can't believe it's been that long already.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to that thread on GAF when it was announced Nintendo was buying them.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Probably devoted more of my life to grinding through their games than any other developer's over the past 15 years.

Oct 29, 2017
I've gone through Baten Kaitos, the three Xenosaga games, and the Xenoblade games, and remain a huge fan. Can't wait to see their next project.
Have they always won me over? No. But I appreciate all the efforts that they take to try!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Square should have just given Takahashi some money to make more Xenogears games instead of not doing that. (I love Monolith Soft.)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
happy birthday
man, what a fantastic get this acquisition was for nintendo. such a prolific studio that not only makes amazing games at a great pace, but also has helped nintendo on some of their best games.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
My favorite studio together with PlatinumGames.
Happy anniversary!

What if they combined forces? Monolith's open world expertise with Platinum's combat expertise.

Okay I know it would never happen I just hope Monolith takes some pointers from Platinum on their action RPG IP.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic studio. Still hope at some point Nintendo get together with Square/Namco and get Monolith working on a Xenogears directors cut and Xenosaga remasters.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
They've made some really great games, and one of Nintendo's best acquisitions in the end.
Not a fan of their combat systems, but looking forward to their next games nonetheless!
Shout out to that thread on GAF when it was announced Nintendo was buying them.
Reading it again, that was something else.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
One of my favorite studios. I fell in love with them with the Xenosaga series.
God I wish they could get the HD remaster treatment.

So hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles D.E next year.
Looking forward to see their new IP and what the future brings.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Fantastic studio. Still hope at some point Nintendo get together with Square/Namco and get Monolith working on a Xenogears directors cut and Xenosaga remasters.

Honestly if Namco isn't willing to do anything with the IPs they should give Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos back to Monolith. I've given up on Square Enix properly respecting their backcatalog that isn't Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Not really on topic, but why did Nintendo buy them? They aren't really a company that believes in acquisitions.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Not really on topic, but why did Nintendo buy them? They aren't really a company that believes in acquisitions.

IIRC, they tried to acquire Bandai Namco, but got Monolith Soft (which was then owned by BN) instead. I don't know if it's the truth or the whole story, but that's what I've seen online.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

IIRC the head of Monolithsoft(Sugiura?) and Iwata thought they shared a culture and vision.

There was also some crazy theory that it was a consolation prize to fend off Nintendo trying to buy Bandai.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a few classics made in those 20 years. Here's to more in the next 20!

Nintendo hardly does acquisitions because, IIRC, they don't want to bother unless the talent is going to stick around. In Monolith's case, they very much wanted to become part of Nintendo as they had similar creative visions and were feeling more restricted under the new management at Bamco. And the rest is history.

Oct 26, 2017
By far the greatest acquisition Nintendo had ever made. Retro pales in comparison in terms of output, especially when we're now approaching 6 years since Tropical Freeze...

The studio's expanded like mad and their output is absolutely stellar. I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai Namco is kicking themselves since I don't think it'd be hyperbole to say that Monolith is actually more acclaimed than BN is. Like what have BN made in the last decade that's been so highly praised as the Xenoblade series? Maybe the Tekken series if anything? I dunno. Basically, BN have more than enough resources and money to have done the same for Monolith but instead had Monolith left forgotten in their back pocket like a stale Cheeto. :P

Monolith being so prolific (prolifith?) is absolutely a big reason Nintendo needs to open their wallets once in a blue moon. Just imagine what they could do for any other mid-sized dev. If only. :(

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm really happy for Monolithsoft. I think them ending up with Nintendo is the best thing that could have happened to them. And I can't wait for XCDE and whatever else they have coming.

The

y477Hw0.gif

Absolute

02aYxCR.gif

Best

ISqJe1Z.gif

Video

rsTIypa.gif

Game

giphy.gif

Developer

vCCmMhc.gif

Ever

CkWUlwt.gif

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Monolith being so prolific (prolifith?) is absolutely a big reason Nintendo needs to open their wallets once in a blue moon. Just imagine what they could do for any other mid-sized dev. If only. :(

Yeah, and this isn't just a Nintendo problem. Japanese businesses in general have been really bad about cash hoarding for many years, even though it makes little fiscal or business sense to do so.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
IIRC the head of Monolithsoft(Sugiura?) and Iwata thought they shared a culture and vision.

There was also some crazy theory that it was a consolation prize to fend off Nintendo trying to buy Bandai.
It was moreso about the large amount of shares that Nintendo had left over in Namco after the merger happened.
BN would of had to pay out a large amount of cash to Nintendo if they sold them off, so the shares were swapped out for Monolith ones.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
So Nintendo in 2003 was starting to buy up more and more Bandai stock, leading them to be one of the top ten investors in the company. Potentially angling for a buyout or the very least a seat on the board, which would have changed things pretty dramatically over the last three generations vis a vis anime games. Bandai went in another direction instead merging with amusement/video game titan namco instead, and Nintendo basically turned that investment into getting Namco's stake in Monolithsoft.

It's low key the biggest move in the industry between MS/Rare and Activision Blizzard forming.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was moreso about the large amount of shares that Nintendo had left over in Namco after the merger happened.
BN would of had to pay out a large amount of cash to Nintendo if they sold them off, so the shares were swapped out for Monolith ones.
So Nintendo in 2003 was starting to buy up more and more Bandai stock, leading them to be one of the top ten investors in the company. Potentially angling for a buyout or the very least a seat on the board, which would have changed things pretty dramatically over the last three generations vis a vis anime games. Bandai went in another direction instead merging with amusement/video game titan namco instead, and Nintendo basically turned that investment into getting Namco's stake in Monolithsoft.

It's low key the biggest move in the industry between MS/Rare and Activision Blizzard forming.

Nintendo are actually still one of their biggest shareholders(though it's a tiny amount overall)

Man God

Oct 25, 2017

NB didn't want Nintendo to have enough stock in the new company to have any real say on the board, possibly alienating the other console manufacturers so they agreed to this acquisition of MONOLITHSOFT. It generally worked out well for all involved; Namco wasn't really into RPGs and has farmed out almost all of them to MONOLITHSOFT anyways. Nintendo wanted more games like Baiten Kaitos to help liven up their roster. MONOLITHSOFT wanted someone to give them a real shot after Xenosaga.

This trade also was another step that improved the Namco/Nintendo relationship that had been growing bit by bit since the GCN era started. Triforce Board, Link in SCII, Tales of Symphonia.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
As a big JRPG player, I'm so glad they are here and stronger than ever.

As I'm shifting slowly to more "niche" JRPG games (basically Falcom) because most big JRPG companies are releasing disappoiting or too safe games as of late, I'm happy that Monolith is the one that can keep a good balance between games that have some news to offer while not feeling like an indie game.

Xenoblade has become in only 3 entries one of my top 5 JRPG franchises, and I'm really happy to play DE next year.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
latest

They are the best developers who weave tonal dissonance in the fabric of their work at even the most basic mechanical levels a la Xenoblade 2's hot womanservant lottery