• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
I watched Nausicaä so many times, as a child till the VHS was worn out, and then every other year as an adult (lately on Netflix). I think the movie has aged so well, with the design of the landscape, plants, animals, planes etc. And I love the soundtrack especially the synth parts.

Mononoke is great as well but Nausicaä's lore was always more fascinating to me.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here know if there is a high-quality digital release of the Nausicaa manga? You know, high resolution, right-to-left, good translation like that last physical hardcover release?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I... actually think I prefer Nausicaä? They're both fantastic but I really like the lore and the vibe of Nausicaä. It's really unique. Can't go wrong with either though.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Princess Mononoke offers a more nuanced, updated thesis than Nausicaa. Miyazaki has a great quote where he explains it, but I've never managed to find it again. :(
Seeing this thread come up again made me want to go and find it. This might be it? But I remember it slightly different: "There can be no happy ending to the war between the rampaging forest gods and humanity."

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer Nausicaa even if I think Mononoke is a technically better movie. I just actively enjoy rewatching Nausicaa more.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nausicaa for me too.

I like Princess Mononoke a lot, but Nausicaa was the first Ghibli movie I saw (a Chinese bootleg DVD with dodgy subtitles, a full english release wasn't available at the time). It made quite an impact.
The soundtrack still gives me chills.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Emotionally vulnerable Miyazaki is always better than epic Miyazaki. I love Mononoke, Nausicaa, and Spirited Away, but they don't measure up to Porco Rosso, Kiki, and Whisper of the Heart.
Whisper of the Heart is directed by Yoshifumi Kondo, although Miyazaki has writing credit. I always found it interesting that Miyazaki changed Seji from a painter to a violin maker (luthier). It still works despite painting drawing (pun intended) a better parallel with working in animation and the stigma associated with the arts in Japanese society. But then we wouldn't have gotten Country/Concrete Roads.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
I think Nausicaa and Mononoke explored quite similar themes and by virtue of it being made later, I feel that Miyazaki's ideas were more well-formed in Princess Mononoke.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
The manga of nausicäa is one of my all time favorite works.

Mononoke is good too but it lacks the stricking visuals and world-building nausicäa has. And nausicaa is also a more complex and nuanced protagonist. Though length of the manga vs a movie definetly helps here.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
From a just a design perspective, I love Nausicaa, but I feel Mononoke is a better film.

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I love Nausicaä, but was completely blown away when I first saw Princess Mononoke, and I'm still blown away upon re-watch. He really had a hand in every frame of that film.