Status
Not open for further replies.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Btw HappyConsoleGamer did a preview (no spoilers at all) worth checking out if you want input from someone who loves Wonder Boy

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I preordered it to support the game, I'll probably play it at launch as much as I can even though I rarely complete any games these days.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
heard this one includes a nice full color manual? or am I imagining things...?

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
heard this one includes a nice full color manual? or am I imagining things...?
46958034_2270872549815313_6703676597313994752_o.jpg

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I pre-ordered the day it was available on Amazon, region-free FTW!!! :D

Have been waiting a looong time lol, I dunno if I'll even get it by the end of the year now because of the last delay but oh well.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Glad this is finally coming out, I was just thinking about this today. I played this at PSX, I think 2 years ago and liked it more than I expected.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
What's interesting, is that the game initially got lukewarm previews declaring the game would be a 5/10 on release - so the developers responded by delaying the game over and over again, iterating the living hell out of it much to the ire of the fans, but now seem to have created a 9/10 masterpiece. We won't know for sure until reviews hit, but that seems to be the scenario. Talk about a labour of love. A lesser publisher would have just released it as is. The risk here, funnelling more and more money for development, must be so extreme.

Hope the game scores highly and sells millions, and we get a series.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting, is that the game initially got lukewarm previews declaring the game would be a 5/10 on release - so the developers responded by delaying the game over and over again, iterating the living hell out of it much to the ire of the fans, but now seem to have created a 9/10 masterpiece. We won't know for sure until reviews hit, but that seems to be the scenario. Talk about a labour of love. A lesser publisher would have just released it as is. The risk here, funnelling more and more money for development, must be so extreme.

Hope the game scores highly and sells millions, and we get a series.
Am I imagining it or did this once have more of a 16-bit console look to it?

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Am I imagining it or did this once have more of a 16-bit console look to it?

Yeah it did, very much so. When it was announced it looked strikingly similar to Wonder Boy in Monster World on the Megadrive, maybe slightly better but similar aesthetics and visual design. Like a 16-bit game. Then they spent literally years iterating the art in particular (it's all hand-drawn animation now, and the backgrounds have been re-done like, hundreds of times) and it looks stunningly beautiful, with depth and gorgeous art direction. The turnaround from how it began is night and day. I'm not surprised early review comments are glowing. The game was truly a labour of love and it shows.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Spent a good amount of time with this at E3 this year. It's charming and a fun time killer.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Wait there is a new release date and it's sooner than expected?
Niiiccceee I finish RDR2 just in time it seems :P

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it did, very much so. When it was announced it looked strikingly similar to Wonder Boy in Monster World on the Megadrive, maybe slightly better but similar aesthetics and visual design. Like a 16-bit game. Then they spent literally years iterating the art in particular (it's all hand-drawn animation now, and the backgrounds have been re-done like, hundreds of times) and it looks stunningly beautiful, with depth and gorgeous art direction. The turnaround from how it began is night and day. I'm not surprised early review comments are glowing. The game was truly a labour of love and it shows.
Thought so - thanks! Looks amazing now.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will definitely be buying this game.

Also cool of the Executive Producer to post in this thread.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I played this at Tokyo Game Show this year and I loved it. It flew to the top of my wanted list for Xmas.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Btw HappyConsoleGamer did a preview (no spoilers at all) worth checking out if you want input from someone who loves Wonder Boy

What the hell, main character sprite was changed AGAIN ? :D
Man this guy is gushing all over it. He seems a bit overly enthusiastic but the game is probably good and ended up looking better than the other remake imho.
I just love the 80s anime look

PuppycornPeep

May 13, 2018
Oh, for those unaware and saying you're going to buy the game, you get a 10% discount on pre-orders on the eshop and such if you own Blossom Tales. Which I also recommend.

Oct 26, 2017
This game looks awesome and I had no idea it was coming out. I watched a video by Spawnwave and he said the main game/story is about 15 hours and that doesn't include the extra stuff. That is damn good for this kind of game.

That being said, I still need to buy Wonder Boy. I really should, right?

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
So if I import the US version, will it be the same type of box as EU games ? I'm asking this because, for exemple, UK blu-rays for movies are thicker than in France which is ugly. Yeah I'm a bit fussy.

Dark-VIII

Oct 27, 2017
got the game pre ordered and really can't wait for it, a huge part of my hype is cuz of the OST
legendary composers are making the score for the title and i really can't wait to hear it

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
So if I import the US version, will it be the same type of box as EU games ? I'm asking this because, for exemple, UK blu-rays for movies are thicker than in France which is ugly. Yeah I'm a bit fussy.

I don't know about PS4, in the case of Switch the boxes are the same for american, european or japanese releases, with the only difference being the position/typography in the spine.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand

If you're talking about Switch - ya they're the same, it'll fit right in with the other games on your shelf. I have a mixture of different ones myself. The only difference is the title being at the top of the spine going down instead of in the middle if that bothers you or not.

PS4 I'm not sure about sorry, the only NTSC PS4 game I have is the Dragon's Trap Limited Run thing which just came in the exact same casing as my PAL PS4 games do if that is any indication.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Is this the... big one that people were initially excited about? I loved the art style when I first saw it, but stuff got confusing.

I can't remember where I fell off the bus - there was a Wonder Boy sequel in the works that got canned that turned into another game which is this, right? It's been really hard to keep track of, especially with the remaster of other wonder boy games in the meantime... at least I think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is this the... big one that people were initially excited about? I loved the art style when I first saw it, but stuff got confusing.

I can't remember where I fell off the bus - there was a Wonder Boy sequel in the works that got canned that turned into another game which is this, right? It's been really hard to keep track of, especially with the remaster of other wonder boy games in the meantime... at least I think?

Check the original post. There's a chronological list of events for this game. But you're not far off of what happened.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
With the Steam release being a vague Q1 2019 and thus a few months out, I'm so very tempted to get a console for this. Would love to play it on release.

Might get a pre-owned Xbox One or something. I love, and I mean love Wonder Boy and this game looks like it's going to be excellent. Really looking forward to the review thread.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Had it pre-ordered on Amazon and decided to cancel due to the $40 price tag. Now I kinda want to get it again but there's no release date shipping anymore. Are we expecting the physical version to be hard to find in stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.