• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

If this movie can't release in China, Paul WS Anderson will never get to make a movie again. He goes straight to Director Jail.

mod edit- explained here
This is the joke and it is a visual joke. It is also a requirement to sing it in a pseudo-Asian style of music and sing it in an annoying high-pitch voice.

Chi-i-nese - "eyes slanted up using your fingers"
Jap-a-nese - "eyes slanted down doing the same"
Dir-ty Knees - "slapping your knees with your hands"
Look-at-these - "pulling your shirt out with your fingers, making you appear that you have a big set of boobies."

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/whatshesaid/2012/02/dirty-knees-look-at-these/

the problem is white people are deciding what is racist, and it is not up to them to decide, as stated by Jerry Afriyie, one of the founders of the Dutch anti-racist organisation Kick Out Black Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
That joke is absolutely awful. Though it's a shame the moral fortitude to prevent exposure to a racist joke doesn't extend to other parts of the industry in China

Racist joke? No go.
Filmed near an internment camp? Ok go.
Scenes of LGBT love? Nope
Black character being bigger than a postage stamp on a poster? Absolutely not

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, wasn't this movie partially funded by Tencent Pictures?. This movie is fucked.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
How did it make it this far to release without any producers seeing this and raising a flag

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
is paul w.s. anderson the most high profile director who could take this - or do people at capcom owe him some kind of life debt?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
is paul w.s. anderson the most high profile director who could take this - or do people at capcom owe him some kind of life debt?
Apparently he got the rights to direct the movie before anyone else could.

You know, I was there when Monster Hunter: World came out and sold 15 million copies a year and a half, two years ago, when every Hollywood studio in the world was chasing Monster Hunter because suddenly they're like, "Oh, big sales! Let's go grab it!" And they were all very disappointed to discover that I already had the rights to it [laughs].

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I don't get the joke, can someone explain

The joke is that over 1 million Chinese Muslims are locked up in concentration camps, separated from their kids, forced to eat pork and wine, sold in groups as factory workers, tortured with medications, forced to abort if they were pregnant, and much more heinous acts.

They will never see their kids again, their kids are thrown into ''orphanages'' where they are brainwashed every day into praying and believing in one God, the Chinese communist party.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, to avoid questions in the other thread, the joke comes from a racist child's rhyme. And if you can't find what's racist about it...it doesn't really matter cause clearly plenty of Chinese citizens did to the extent that its being pulled from theaters.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
What is going on with all the George Floyd comparisons coming from some Chinese users on sites like the ones screenshotted above and Twitter? I don't see how they're related in any way, but I keep seeing them crop up. Am I missing something about the original racist joke? I'm genuinely just confused, not judging either way.

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The joke was dumb, but what is going on with all the George Floyd comparisons coming from Chinese commenters on sites like the ones screenshotted above and Twitter? I don't see how they're related in any way, but I keep seeing them crop up. Am I missing something about the original dumb joke?
They're saying that people/companies have already moved on and forgotten about their vows to do better that we saw after George Floyd.

There are also offensive comments about Floyd and Black people, which is super gross.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The joke is that over 1 million Chinese Muslims are locked up in concentration camps, separated from their kids, forced to eat pork and wine, sold in groups as factory workers, tortured with medications, forced to abort if they were pregnant, and much more heinous acts.

They will never see their kids again, their kids are thrown into ''orphanages'' where they are brainwashed every day into praying and believing in one God, the Chinese communist party.
10/10 comment.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I'm sure china would have reacted the same if a similar garbage joke was directed towards black people or some other group. China just wanna stand up for social justice.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
What is going on with all the George Floyd comparisons coming from Chinese users on sites like the ones screenshotted above and Twitter? I don't see how they're related in any way, but I keep seeing them crop up. Am I missing something about the original racist joke? I'm genuinely just confused, not judging either way.
It is not related at all, those comments represent an internet troll-level of discourse and are in complete bad faith.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I don't get the joke, can someone explain

This is the joke and it is a visual joke. It is also a requirement to sing it in a pseudo-Asian style of music and sing it in an annoying high-pitch voice.

Chi-i-nese - "eyes slanted up using your fingers"
Jap-a-nese - "eyes slanted down doing the same"
Dir-ty Knees - "slapping your knees with your hands"
Look-at-these - "pulling your shirt out with your fingers, making you appear that you have a big set of boobies."

I was the only Chinese-American kid in my class in the suburbs.

In school, other children occasionally did the slanted eyes chant – you know the one where you lift the corners of your eyes up and down and say, "Chinese, Japanese, Dirty Knees, Look at These". I heard that chant in sing-song voices throughout my childhood and still don't know what it means (though I'm sure the original intent was probably not only racist but also sexist – if you know this chant you might recall what "these" referred to).

The taunts punctured my soul. Each incident highlighted the fact I was inescapably different.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/whatshesaid/2012/02/dirty-knees-look-at-these/

the problem is white people are deciding what is racist, and it is not up to them to decide, as stated by Jerry Afriyie, one of the founders of the Dutch anti-racist organisation Kick Out Black Pete.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Also, chinese individuals that feel hurt by this - I feel for you and you shouldn't have to feel this way.
But the regime, banning the movie? cry me a fucking river. How about you close down the concentration camps first, and talk about jokes next.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I wonder if those lines of dialogue were actually an attempt at pandering to the Chinese audience, by drawing attention to the fact that this guy is Chinese, in case it wasn't clear. Because if they were just trying to write banter between two army guys, those lines seem pretty unnatural. At any rate, they couldn't have failed harder.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if those lines of dialogue were actually an attempt at pandering to the Chinese audience, by drawing attention to the fact that this guy is Chinese, in case it wasn't clear. Because if they were just trying to write banter between two army guys, those lines seem pretty unnatural. At any rate, they couldn't have failed harder.
It probably was.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That's exactly what this was. Whoops.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah this seems like a case of pandering backfiring. Always a thin line being walked when it comes to Movie approval in China

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
I wonder if those lines of dialogue were actually an attempt at pandering to the Chinese audience, by drawing attention to the fact that this guy is Chinese, in case it wasn't clear.

Actually I agreed with this. Recent years nearly all American films with heavy Chinese investment had stupid and forced pandering toward Chinese market (see: The Martian, Independence Day 2,etcetera ), and audience didn't even like it. This time they failed miserably.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Drive-By Posting
Well this is dumb for all parties involved. The joke comes off as pandering, not racist. But it's also a bad joke and should have been written out of the movie in the first place.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we have a thread that doesn't question what a ethnicity finds offensive? Please?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
China is a huge place for Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter Online was huge for a period of time.

Capcom will not be happy at all by this.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd heard every racist joke growing up. Somehow I missed this one. If you didn't explain it to me, I would've just seen this as a horrible, horrible pun that's pandering to the Chinese audience (which doesn't even make sense since this pun cannot translate). I'd like to give the writers the benefit of the doubt - that they're just idiots and not intentionally making allusions to a racist joke, but...

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I agreed with this. Recent years nearly all American films with heavy Chinese investment had stupid and forced pandering toward Chinese market (see: The Martian, Independence Day 2,etcetera ), and audience didn't even like it. This time they failed miserably.
The Chinese helping in the Martian was actually in the book. The only significant change was the goofy ass rescue scene.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Sheesh, this is one of those times Gaming Side is better at handling an issue of racism toward Asian people than EtcetEra.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
The CCP. Or the US. Or anybody who does that. The fuck is your angle man?

My angle is, any thread that involves China somehow always devolve into a "Fuck the CCP" circle jerk, and a bunch of racist or closet racist era posters will use the "Fuck the CCP" angle to dog whisle the fuck out of it and use it demean other minority races as well.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Been seeing this posted everywhere all day, and even seeing it explained in this thread I STILL don't fucking get it.. lol.

Such a stupid line.