Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Ah thanks. But yeah, that Fata HH has me so spoiled now. The thing is a beast stacked with KO secret, I feel sorry for the monsters lol

Hopefully we get a better understanding of why they would make changes like this. Maybe they thought it was too complex? I'm sure Capcom got data on how many folks were using it in world/iceborne. I really didn't see a lot of other hunters besides me running it.
They've actually shown data on this before, the hunting horn has consistently been the least or second-least used weapon in basically every game in the series it's existed in. I can understand why they'd want to make its attacks more flashy and appealing, but I've never felt like it was a particularly complicated weapon to learn aside from remembering particular songs. I haven't tried it myself in Rise yet but just seeing how it works now I almost worry that they oversimplified it to the point where the attacks are too simple and I worry that playing it a lot might get boring. We'll see, I guess.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Carted against mizu first try but beat it in 25 minutes next try.

It's not the easiest monster if you haven't fought it before. It's a cool one though.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
They've actually shown data on this before, the hunting horn has consistently been the least or second-least used weapon in basically every game in the series it's existed in. I can understand why they'd want to make its attacks more flashy and appealing, but I've never felt like it was a particularly complicated weapon to learn aside from remembering particular songs. I haven't tried it myself in Rise yet but just seeing how it works now I almost worry that they oversimplified it to the point where the attacks are too simple and I worry that playing it a lot might get boring. We'll see, I guess.
I've played quite a bit HH in MH4U and Generations (Can't talk about World, haven't played that game) and it really is super simple (and also very strong) with these changes. You can button mash pretty mindlessly tbh. It's fun, but I also feel like due to this simplicity, it could get boring

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
handheld screenshots

2021010818092000-073corkxt.jpg

2021010818121800-073c81jii.jpg

2021010818215700-073cfcj7f.jpg

2021010818232500-073cnbjsk.jpg

2021010818240400-073codjfu.jpg

2021010818383100-073ce3jem.jpg
Why does this look better than my handheld lol? Is there any options?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will need a couple tips from Long Sword users here because I'm really struggling against Mizutsune (with two friends):
My game plan is basically to "upgrade" my Sword gauge with those ZR combos, taking opportunity of every opening. I'm also using a lot the silkbind attack (ZR+X) that uses one wirebug and makes you lift off then down at the monsters. And I know that pressing ZR while doing that does the full move from World, at the cost of some sword gauge, even though I don't have the exact timing nailed down yet.

What else should I make sure to use or pay attention?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can we reset tries by deleting save file?
Absolutely. I just did it.

Dual blade feels almost like a character action game now. I love it.

Oh, bummer. The riding feels kinda jank, and we're not able to rend the monster helpless for a time if he's the only monster around? That doesn't sound right.
This was a mechanic that was only in World (for any weapon that wasn't Insect Glaive) and imo trivialized a lot of monster encounters. I like the new riding more since it doesn't encourage you to immediately dung bomb another monster that's joined the fray.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Im a gunner and everything feels good. Feel sorry for glaive users though, 1k dislikes on a trailer is something else.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I hope someone will make a youtube tutorial asap, back when I played MH3U I watched Projared's series but I really don't feel like seeing that guy again.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely. I just did it.

Dual blade feels almost like a character action game now. I love it.

This was a mechanic that was only in World and imo trivialized a lot of monster encounters. I like the new riding more since it doesn't encourage you to immediately dung bomb another monster that's joined the fray.

Mounting and stabbing was in 4U and Generations, it created a moment for respite for healing, sharpening and getting ready for pummeling.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I will need a couple tips from Long Sword users here because I'm really struggling against Mizutsune (with two friends):
My game plan is basically to "upgrade" my Sword gauge with those ZR combos, taking opportunity of every opening. I'm also using a lot the silkbind attack (ZR+X) that uses one wirebug and makes you lift off then down at the monsters. And I know that pressing ZR while doing that does the full move from World, at the cost of some sword gauge, even though I don't have the exact timing nailed down yet.

What else should I make sure to use or pay attention?
Successful counters give you spirit gauge. Countering is a big part of LS, it's dps and gives spirit guage for free basically. So you can use Helm Breaker with a red guage more often.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Wait, can you use NSO Voucers on Rise or not? I assumed not since it's published by Capcom...

I defeated Izuchi using IG without a clue of what I was doing, then I started testing some Long Sword combos in the Riding arena.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I need to watch a tutorial video (not the rotten tutorial in the game, a proper one) on the very basics of character control. I find it incredily hard to do the most basic stuff in the game. Getting on and off the animals, grapple hooks, blocking, sprintig - they all feel like they're in hidden control menus or something.

:D

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what the hammer charge switch does in Rise? It seems different from power charge in World.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Mizutsune without too much trouble on my second try. I completely forgot to look at the hunter notes for my new weapon (hammer, I used to only use long sword).

Hunter notes help!!

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I beat all three monsters in the intermediate mission on my first try with the hunting horn — almost ran out of time.
This game is going to be so fucking good.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
I didn't have any doubts that this game would be beautiful and great, but holy shit, I'm still surprised and amazed. Day one purchase for sure.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
I feel like I need to watch a tutorial video (not the rotten tutorial in the game, a proper one) on the very basics of character control. I find it incredily hard to do the most basic stuff in the game. Getting on and off the animals, grapple hooks, blocking, sprintig - they all feel like they're in hidden control menus or something.

:D
Just gotta put in the time to get used to it. MH's control scheme is different from any other game, after all.
There's a page for basic controls in the Hunter's Notes if you want the refresher, but sadly no video tutorials as of yet.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The issue that was holding it back is that generally it was a pointless weapon to use solo as the main benefit is pooling the buffs as a support weapon in MP. A few of the late game HHs in Iceborne solve that issue but the damage is kind of done by that point as most hunters pick their mains early.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It feels weird to complain about hunting horn after seeing how cool its moveset looks but I really wish it were more technical

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man am I out of practice lol. I'm about to pick up Iceborne since I skipped it, just to get back into the swing of things.

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
Uh so aside from the Shielding wirebug move and losing Iceborne's Savage Axe move that's all the changes to ChargeBlade? So axe mode is relegated to SAED unloads now again?

Seems like everyone gets the ability to attack after using the wirebug to get airborne so that's not really unique to CB.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely waiting on the PC version for this. Framerate and graphics wise it's just too far below what i'm currently playing on PC and PS5, but thankfully the gameplay is familiar to someone who's only played MH World before. Hammer is as good as it was in MHW.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
The games play like a dream! Coming from World, I'm sooo happy to have less clustered maps!

And the game look sublime both handheld and Docked! March 26 cannot be there soon enough!

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Bow is such a downgrade from World and it makes me sad :(. Don't think I'll use it in the full game. Thankfully LS and GS are still great. Those 3 were my main 3 weapons in World. Gonna have to decide on a new third main.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know what the hammer charge switch does in Rise? It seems different from power charge in World.
The only thing that I know for sure is that some charge attacks are different. For instance with the blue charge level 3, releasing RL + stick input gives you a new jumping overhead smash instead of the spinning bludgeon.
I'm curious what this means for the yellow charge attacks, because back in World doing charge attacks without power charge was sup-optimal. Now I think there's no attack power increase anymore? I suppose that means there's more charge attack options, will be interesting to see if they're actually viable to use. Also, charge switching from blue to yellow always puts you on max yellow charge level, for what it's worth.