What platform are you playing Sunbreak on?

• Switch

Votes: 514 46.3%
  • PC

Votes: 469 42.3%
  • Both

Votes: 41 3.7%
  • Neither, I don't like fun

Votes: 86 7.7%

• Total voters

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
JEsMfog.gif

Release Date: 30th June 2022
Developer/Publisher: Capcom
Platform(s): Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
Price:
- ¥4990 (Standard) / ¥5990 (Deluxe)
- €39.99 (Standard) / €49.99 (Deluxe)
- $39.99 (Standard) / $49.99 (Deluxe)
- £32.99 (Standard - Steam) / £35.99 (Standard - Switch) / £39.99 (Deluxe)

Notes on pricing/editions:​
  • The standard edition costs the same on Switch and PC.
  • The deluxe edition is slightly more expensive on Steam because it calculates the cost as a discounted bundle rather than a fixed item.
  • Switch also has a physical Rise + Sunbreak bundle, which works out slightly cheaper than buying both separately.
  • There is a Collector's Edition for Switch with a steelbook and the Malzeno amiibo.
  • As with Rise, there are three amiibos that each unlock a layered armour set in the Switch version.
---
Into every generation, there is a chosen one. One girl in all the world. She alone will wield the strength and skill to stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness; To stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their numbers. She is the Slayer Hunter.

It's back and better than ever!

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak is the DLC expansion for Monster Hunter Rise, shifting the setting from Yukumo Kamura, a quiet Japanese mountain village, to Moga Elgado, a vaguely European coastal outpost. This theming is also apparent in the monsters, who shift from Japanese yokai inspirations to European mythological creatures such as dragons, vampires and golems.

The OTs for base Rise can be found here (Switch) and here (PC).​

p8ddqC8.png

Skill Swap

In base Rise, if you wanted to change your Switch Skills while hunting, you had to head back to camp.
Sunbreak now lets you equip two Switch Skill loadouts which you can swap freely between while on the go.

You can also chain it into a Swap Evade, giving you a convenient dodge (and drawing your weapon if it was sheathed).

Bleed / Bloodblight

Bleed
is a returning status from MH4U, where it was Seregios's signature status effect.

This has three effects:
- Your red health bar no longer recovers
- You take damage when performing basic actions
- You take extra damage from monster hits

You can heal this with a Sushifish, or by crouching in place for a short time.
This will also heal your bleeding damage.

Bloodblight is the signature status effect of Malzeno.

This "binds" your life forces together, so Malzeno will steadily drain your red health gauge.
In return, you can recover health by dealing damage to Malzeno.

Follower Collab Quests

These are special single-player quests you can go on with the denizens of Kamura and Elgado.

These consist of:​
  • Follower Quests, where you can hunt with specific characters and build up ties with them
  • Support Surveys, where you can freely choose from the followers you've built up strong ties with and assign them weapons

Misc

The game also adds what you'd expect from an expansion, such as:​
Notably, the new content does not contain new Rampages and/or Apex monsters.​

IuwsM5N.png

Q: Do I need to finish Rise to play Sunbreak?
You need to complete the 7* quest "Serpent Goddess of Thunder", which is the final quest of the launch version of Rise, to access the Sunbreak content.
There is no HR requirement, and you do not need to have completed the final story quests from Rise's 2.0 update.​

Q: I'm starting Rise for the first time, should I get Sunbreak too?
From what we know, no Sunbreak content is available while playing through the base Rise story, so you won't have any benefit from having bought Sunbreak.
The general balance changes are coming in a Rise patch, so you don't need Sunbreak for those.​

Q: Does this game have cross-save/cross-play?
Sadly not. It seems Capcom underestimated the demand for these features, so they didn't develop Rise/Sunbreak in a way that would allow this.​

Q: Can I get the deluxe stuff after buying the standard edition?
Yes, the Sunbreak Deluxe Kit is purchasable from the eShop/Steam after buying the game.
Keep in mind that it's cheaper to buy the deluxe version outright rather than getting the standard version and adding the kit.​

Q: What are the system requirements on PC?
Same as for Rise, check here.​

Q: [insert question about base Rise here]
Check the Rise OTs (Switch, PC), your question might be answered there already.​

tGE6Hkr.png

Like with Monster Hunter World, Capcom will continue to support Sunbreak with regular title updates.

roadmap-en.jpg

H24TDmC.png

Open spoilers except for information coming via leaks.
Anything leaked must be spoiler tagged until it appears in the game itself or official marketing.

When it comes to content that's in the game but wasn't revealed in pre-release marketing, please be considerate about spoiler tagging for the first week at least, so that slower players can enjoy the surprises.​

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
didnt know it was out this week

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Literally Agnaktor killed me, lol

Got my pre-load for the JP release paid off and such. Should go live sometime on the 29th for me if Rise's base release was any indication.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm hoping to be addicted to it all over again.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
My most anticipated game of the year! I'm gonna have to go on a media blackout to avoid spoilers though. Looking forward to reading about other people's experiences and post-game builds once I'm done.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
For real though, the admiral and Fiorayne are smoke shows. Love their designs.

I wish the system was more comprehensive than it sounds because I love the option of hunting solo with decent AI that looks cool and can possibly hold agro, especially as a bowgunner, but it sounds like it will be a handful of basic quests and chances are the quests we will be spamming the most won't be an option.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Played 80 hours of MHR and had a blast. I dropped it several months ago, but recently went back to finish the Allmother Urgent Quest. Only urgent quest left for me is Valstrax.

My hunter rank is 74, so I easily qualify for Sunbreak content. I think I'll drop the dough for this expansion.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
wonder when the Switch 13gig update hits. Also wonder if the Rise icon will change to a Sunbreak one. Like, I have Rise physical, and atm my icon is still the vanilla Rise one,even tho I pre-ordered Sunbreak.

Craiji

May 26, 2018
wonder when the Switch 13gig update hits. Also wonder if the Rise icon will change to a Sunbreak one. Like, I have Rise physical, and atm my icon is still the vanilla Rise one,even tho I pre-ordered Sunbreak.
I am waiting on this for both the Switch and PC versions too. They haven't update the site with the patch notes yet, hopefully tomorrow?

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I sold my Switch Collector's Edition the day after I played the PC demo and I've never looked back. Hunting at 165Hz/1440p with instant loading times is just incredible. I'm now HR205 with a few end-game sets built and I'm so ready for Sunbreak. I've done every quest bar a few event quests which are kicking my ass , but hopefully I can get them done in time too.

This will be my first time playing G Rank and I'm so excited, and this will also be the first time I have someone to play with as I got my friend into Rise recently and he's super hyped for Sunbreak as well. I'll be maining Longsword or Hammer but I haven't decided yet, it was going to be Longsword but I've recently discovered a love for bonking.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I was actually wondering about this. I remember World's icon changing to an Iceborne icon once that dropped, even if you didn't have Iceborne itself.

Have there been any Switch games with DLC title updates that actually updated the icons?

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Wish this had crossplay. I will be playing on switch but would love to cross with PC as well

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Let's go! The games Master Rank is gonna be so much better than World by default because the Low and High rank monsters of Rise alone were so much better than Worlds Low and High monsters, in my opinion of course. Having to fight all the boring boys of World in Master rank again was not fun.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Can someone tell me the total number of new monsters and how it compares to Iceborne? I really want to buy it, but honestly, even if Rise is my favourite MH, 40€ seems a bit much for what they showed so far (although I payed 20€ for Iceborne and it felt like a steal, so... )

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm frantically crafting all the Greatswords I can in Rise because I decided to give it a go on the Sunbreak demo and ended up really enjoying the weapon.
Can't wait for Sunbreak tho, letsgoooooo

somax

Oct 27, 2017
The monster names are extremely accurate and also had me laughing out loud, well done. I double dipped on pc a couple months ago, didn't reach valstrax for lack of time so I hope I won't have to struggle too much against MR ants and squirrels before getting some decent starting mr gear. Hyped!

Can someone tell me the total number of new monsters and how it compares to Iceborne? I really want to buy it, but honestly, even if Rise is my favourite MH, 40€ seems a bit much for what they showed so far (although I payed 20€ for Iceborne and it felt like a steal, so... )
Sunbreak has less new monsters added to the game than Iceborne put in (17 vs. 27), but the total monster count at launch for both games puts Rise at just one less total (56 vs. 57), with the nutty part being that the only subspecies and variants in the base version of Sunbreak are for the newly introduced Rise batch, aside from a certain ape of a particular raging disposition, so the roadmap already promising the return of subspecies and variants means that Sunbreak will comfortably be well ahead of Iceborne by the end of the updates. Tough to say how many of them will wind up being new, but Lucent Nargacuga being first up shows that they're setting a precedent that it won't just be existing monsters that are already "done" thanks to Iceborne and sets the stage for the return of at least one other rare subspecies in the form of Molten Tigrex down the line.

Hopefully, the updates do something about the baffling omission of a Goss Harag subspecies or variant, since that one is a genuine headscratcher for how popular a monster it's become.

pikachuizgod

Apr 19, 2019
Hey OP, just letting you know the price for the standard edition is different in the UK for Switch and PC, PC is £32.99 while Switch is £35.99

No idea why, but just thought I'd let you know

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
I'm hoping that the lance buffs stay the way they were in the demo; it really felt good to play. Although I suppose at least for the damage values I can mod those manually if not. The bigger window for Insta block felt amazing, and some of the other fixes (anchor rage) make me think it's a real weapon again.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
There is only 14 new monsters in the expansion? (Yeah I'm counting alternates)

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Sunbreak has less new monsters added to the game than Iceborne put in (17 vs. 27), but the total monster count at launch for both games puts Rise at just one less total (56 vs. 57), with the nutty part being that the only subspecies and variants in the base version of Sunbreak are for the newly introduced Rise batch, aside from a certain ape of a particular raging disposition, so the roadmap already promising the return of subspecies and variants means that Sunbreak will comfortably be well ahead of Iceborne by the end of the updates. Tough to say how many of them will wind up being new, but Lucent Nargacuga being first up shows that they're setting a precedent that it won't just be existing monsters that are already "done" thanks to Iceborne and sets the stage for the return of at least one other rare subspecies in the form of Molten Tigrex down the line.

Hopefully, the updates do something about the baffling omission of a Goss Harag subspecies or variant, since that one is a genuine headscratcher for how popular a monster it's become.
I see, that's a shame. I really want to play it, the point is that maybe it would be best to wait until the updates are out to play all the new content at once at a lower price as I did with Iceborne.
We'll see

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Pretty sure there will be last boss to, expansions normally keep a few things hidden from trailers.

Glad to have gore back, hope we get shagaru at some point to.

Don't know what to main in sunbreak. Want to give long sword a rest, might go IG.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I just reached HR55 in the base game and saw the story ending. I cannot wait for SB.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the demo but did all the weapons get a rebalance? How did the Hammer feel?

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Do we know if there are going to be more monsters than what have been shown? Or no? Is this based on leaks?

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Do we know if there are going to be more monsters than what have been shown? Or no? Is this based on leaks?
The complete list has already been leaked the only thing we don't know is the name of some of the monsters and if this leaked list is already completed inside the game or does it include upcoming DLC?

Of course some people are already upset about the number of new monsters in this expansion and the wording of Capcom saying it's a "massive expansion".

The complete list has already been leaked the only thing we don't know is the name of some of the monsters and if this leaked list is already completed inside the game or does it include upcoming DLC?

Of course some people are already upset about the number of new monsters in this expansion and the wording of Capcom saying it's a "massive expansion".
It's just for the base game. There's no language mentioning anything about Lucent Nargacuga yet, so we still don't have anything related to the updates on the way just quite yet.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
It's just for the base game. There's no language mentioning anything about Lucent Nargacuga yet, so we still don't have anything related to the updates on the way just quite yet.
We'll see how that goes when the game actually comes out because in Rise due to obvious circumstances that Capcom had to deal with we quite literally knew all of the monsters including future "DLC" that was obviously meant to be part of the base game.

We'll see how that goes when the game actually comes out because in Rise due to obvious circumstances that Capcom had to deal with we quite literally knew all of the monsters including future "DLC" that was obviously meant to be part of the base game.
I would be really, really, really surprised if we get anywhere close to the final count spoiled in the next couple of updates when they're continuing into 2023 with adding monsters to the game. Granted, a good chunk of those are tied to the endgame mechanic that very much hasn't been talked about yet, but I've got little issue believing that the final number is going to be very, very chunky indeed even without those in the mix.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I would be really, really, really surprised if we get anywhere close to the final count spoiled in the next couple of updates when they're continuing into 2023 with adding monsters to the game. Granted, a good chunk of those are tied to the endgame mechanic that very much hasn't been talked about yet, but I've got little issue believing that the final number is going to be very, very chunky indeed even without those in the mix.
I'm just interested in knowing how much of a footprint do they leave in the base game that would help us get a grasp on what's coming past Lucent Nargacuga.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Seething is coming in the first update. How dull. If they're going to waste time on a bad monster, at least include it in the base game.