• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Life Power, Hardshell Powder, Demon Powder. I use them all!

Yall-Got-Any-More-Of-That.jpg

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Fought a black diablos for the first time last night
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Oct 26, 2017
There is no way to cancel some of these long combos half way? Too many times now I've been mashing away at Tzitzi Ya Ku with my dual swords while the fucker was already long gone and using his flashing attack on me as a result.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Let me give you an example of how elemental damage works. Let's look at Diablos

In-game, the field guide lists him at 3* weakness to Ice. That is his greatest weakness. I use switch axes, so let's look at the ice switch axe, Legia Frostreaver.

It has 300 ice element on it. Seems good? Well here's the thing with calculating elemental damage.
  1. Take the element on your weapon and divide by 10. My 300 ice element weapon has a base 30 raw ice element damage
  2. Diablos, although he's "weak" to ice, it just means that's the element he takes the most damage from. To be precise, he takes 25% damage from ice element, less from other ones (10% for thunder, 0% for fire, etc)
  3. My weapon has white sharpness. For elemental damage, the multiplier for white sharpness is 1.125
Put these 3 things together: 30 ice damage * 0.25 diablos weakness * 1.125 sharpness multiplier = 8 ice damage per hit (rounded down)

So yeah, that amazing 300 ice element weapon actually only deals an extra 8 damage to diablos, per hit. On something like dual blade and SnS, that hit a lot for less damage, an extra 8 damage per hit is pretty good. On let's say, great sword, that swing slowly and hit very infrequently for massive damage, 8 extra damage per hit is nothing.
Thanks for the breakdown. Also use Swaxes, so would you suggest going for a high raw damage then since they arent blazing fast? Something like Axe of demons or Nerg axe?

Deleted member 33382

User request account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Game needs some Plesioth DLC with broken hip check. Had no idea
Lavasioth
was in the game until that cut scene. Shame I fucking died in one hit but whatever. I should probably build some HR armour.

Last edited:

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Thanks for the breakdown. Also use Swaxes, so would you suggest going for a high raw damage then since they arent blazing fast? Something like Axe of demons or Nerg axe?
Swag axe is good at applying status ailments with sword mode, especially with the amp discharge. For raw damage diablos and nerg are good. The teo or bazel blast axes are also good, as are the barroth paralysis one and the jagras exhaust one.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

Was it you I responded to in the last thread about this exact same topic?

Weapons that are "slow" and don't benefit much from elemental damage: Great Sword, Long Sword, Hammer, Hunting Horn, Switch Axe
Weapons that are "fast" and CAN benefit from elemental damage: SnS, Dual Blades, Lance, Gunlance, Charge Blade, Insect Glaive

That's not to say you can't consider elemental damage on a Long Sword or Swaxe, but keep in mind that you're going to PROBABLY have higher DPS when you gear for attack damage and not elemental damage with a high raw. But factors will play into that decision that a spreadsheet or calculation can't account for. You'll NEVER have a situation in the field where you can go ham with your top damage combo un-contested. It just doesn't really happen. You can get in ONE rotation when the monster is down or trapped? But don't rely on that as a sustained damage calc.

Faster weapons hit fast and for less damage, so the added elemental damage makes a difference. There's virtually no reason to do "damage calculations" unless you're going for record speed kills. The difference in damage output you'll get from sacrificing raw for elemental on a slow weapon might add 3-5 minutes to your fight? Maybe not even...It's really small and trivial.

There's a reason MonHun is called Fashion Hunter by vets. High skill play allows you to be extra creative with your look and not worry too much about "min/max" gear.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Triple Threat Throwdown.

Great Jagra + Great Jirros + Dodogama all in the Special Arena.

Good way to get decorations. I was getting 3-5 every run, but they were mostly level 1s with a few level 2s occasionally.

Oh shit, I should've been doing this last night instead of getting my ass kicked with Tempered Diablos T_T

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
HR Kirin is so much easier to handle by yourself than in a pug. Got him down on my first try, but carted once due to being to cocky and trying to get a few more hits in haha.

Unlocked the next quest and it's a Kirin hunt again lmao

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I thought elemental was still decent for Long Swords (not as good as Dual Blades) because still can be rather fast.

Anyways, i think I'm gonna try the Swaxe. I understand I should go towards Diablos one, right?

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
So Exciteable A-Lister is gotta be Ace Cadet from 4U, right ?

- He sometimes slipped out on using his monster pun. "Pain in the Astalos" and "That's so Rad-A-Los", with him immediately correct his pun on the latter (kinda show how he is grown up).

- One of the generic hunter dialogue mention how one of the excited A-Lister mentioned something about "Shagaroo" from the Old World.

HR Kirin is so much easier to handle by yourself than in a pug. Got him down on my first try, but carted once due to being to cocky and trying to get a few more hits in haha.

Unlocked the next quest and it's a Kirin hunt again lmao

This is so true, my first few time joining Kirin HR hunt (haven't unlocked the quest), someone always carted in the first 3 minutes lmao (and always those that can't block like DB or LS user). It's pain the astalos using lifepowders and using Recover ammo to keep them alive.

Then after I unlocked his quest, it's very very smooth going solo.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hardly consider eating 80% of my hp in one attack, 'a bit' more damage. It's not like my thunder resist is super low as well (-1 or -2 iirc). The thunderproof mantle only lasts so long and the vitality mantle might as well be a paper jacket. Kirin is also more annoying than it ever was.
Did you augment your armor with streamstones or did you jump straight into the Kirin fight without fighting some tier 2 tempered monsters like you were supposed to? With augmented armor Kirin doesn't hit too hard.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm wanting to get into some older MH games to see monsters that didn't make it into World. Which game should I go for? System is not really a barrier, I have everything they were released on. I really like HH, btw.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wanting to get into some older MH games to see monsters that didn't make it into World. Which game should I go for? System is not really a barrier, I have everything they were released on. I really like HH, btw.
Mh4U will be the least jarring one to go back to and it has a ton of monsters so you should probably start there. If you still want more MH after that I would recommend 3U (The best game in the series IMO).

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

People will no doubt recommend 4U gameplay wise. But in term of monsters, Generations, being an anniversary/greatest-of title, have monsters representation from all four previous generations, including lots from third gen and second gen.

Edit : 4U are missing Lagiacrus, Nibelsnarf, Uragaan, Agnaktor, Duramboros, Amatsu and Alatreon from third gen and the Crabs, Blangonga, Lavasioth, Plesioth and NARGACUGA.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I thought elemental was still decent for Long Swords (not as good as Dual Blades) because still can be rather fast.

Anyways, i think I'm gonna try the Swaxe. I understand I should go towards Diablos one, right?

yeah, i've gone solid elemental longsword, & have no complaints. more would always be nice, but i'm pretty satisfied with the current levels of damage :) ...

Reposting my question...since the thread moves really fast.

I hadn't seen anyone answer this yet, but I did pick up a Guard deco. If it matters, I received it after capturing a tempered Uragaan. It's possible you haven't seen anyone with it because it's a 2 slot deco, not sure.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like I was mistaken. I got "Guard Up," from tempered Uragaan and not "Guard." Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
yeah, i've gone solid elemental longsword, & have no complaints. more would always be nice, but i'm pretty satisfied with the current levels of damage :) ...

Well I went hard on into LS so I have one of each element. I don't really compared it's usefulness but better be save I guess.

I honestly don't want to know anymore if it was a waste of time lol

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Little help here, no one joins my quests, i keep waiting but nothing, am i doing something wrong? I create an online session , not private and with no special requests to join in, never had anyone joining me, dont know what to do.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The new Spirit Helmbreaker move in MHW deals a ton of seperate hits tho. Would that not make LS a lot more viable for elemental damage in World?
It's a good idea in theory, however in practice and in numerical analysis, it's clear that raw damage is the way to go for longsword. Even more so than in previous games.

Longsword has 2 huge raw boosts. Red sword for +20% raw, and the short 30% raw boost that you get for 2 seconds after a successful foresight slash.
Also it has access to raw boosts that every other weapon type has. Namely 30% raw boost for 20 seconds after a dodge with evasion mantle, and 10% raw boost from the elementless decoration (2 slot).

So all of this stacks in the favor of raw damage. Divine slasher will out damage every longsword in the game in 95% of situations (don't want to say 100% because I haven't run the numbers on everything since we don't have access to all the numbers yet).

Fun fact, evasion mantle also works with foresight slash, but you have to be a little tighter on the timing since the window for successful foresight is larger than the window for successful evasion mantle buff.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If anyone is having issues with Nerg, I ran with my Palico and his shield. He often took the full force of the crazy dive. Maybe a little cheaty but it worked!

deoee

Oct 25, 2017
so thinking about all of the elemental stuff:
One of the best DB should be Fire and Ice?

Blue Sharpness
252 raw dmg
10% affinity
240 Ice + 240 Blast

And the "best" LS is the Bone Reaper II + Elementless+ Handicraft?

veras

Oct 27, 2017
So all of this stacks in the favor of raw damage. Divine slasher will out damage every longsword in the game in 95% of situations (don't want to say 100% because I haven't run the numbers on everything since we don't have access to all the numbers yet).

Have you seen similar numerical analysis for other weapon types? Really curious about great sword, lance, hammer, sns, and dual blades and haven't seen anything too mathy anywhere

Oct 26, 2017
Just hit HR 29. Probably spent way too long just helping randoms kill things and farming beasts for nice things.. my playtime is 85 hours :S

Should probably start another weapon up soon. Picked up the insect glaive in the beta and haven't put it down. It was over 60 hours before I realised you can get the boosts by just pressing L2 + triangle followed by L2 and O. I'm an idiot. Spent a long time working hard to get those boosts xD It's now super easy to be fully boosted flying machine. The big xi elder chap didn't even touch me.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
you watch the video a few post above yours??? it gives some info about the dive bomb.

Also, heres a tip that can pretty much save the entire fight for you.

When it looks like, almost all his spikes are black, back off, stop attack and keep running away from em if your solo. because once his spikes all turn black, hes going to jump into the air in the next few moments................this is where the flashpods shine. Pop one in front of em the moment you see that fool fly up into the air, or while flying at you(I would try to shot em before he lounges at you) This is the whole reason you backed off of em, so you wont get stunned by its scream, and your weapon should be shealth with the flashpods equipped and ready to fire at a moment notice. Not only will it completely concal the dive bomb, but it will fall to the ground, giving you several second to bring the pain. There are fights where he never got off a dive bomb because I just kept shooting em with the flashpods. I actually look forward to em doing the divebomb because that means free DPS since its going to be on the ground squirming around.

But aye, sometimes, shit doesnt go according to plan, like he fucks and have you seeing stars. Just hope you buffed your health high enough and armor good enough so it doesnt one shot you.
Pro fucking tips about the black scales. I only die because he stuns me and I don't have enough time to Superman dive.

membran

Oct 27, 2017
After five or so Monster Hunter games, I finally decided to give Bowgunning a try. Welp, send help

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Have you seen similar numerical analysis for other weapon types? Really curious about great sword, lance, hammer, sns, and dual blades and haven't seen anything too mathy anywhere
For GS and Hammer, raw all the way for sure. Slow hitting weapons generally favor high raw. Unfortunately Capcom didn't add any really solid options for an elementless build for GS. The only weapons that can benefit from the decoration either have too low base raw or cannot get white sharpness with handicraft. The two best options seem to be Vaal's GS and G. Jagras GS after augmenting 3x.

For hammer, Diablos all the way. Nothing comes close. In general diablos weapons are overtuned in this game. It's almost always the best option (with some exceptions).

SnS and Lance I haven't considered personally since I haven't played those weapons in World yet. All I can comment is that speedrunners seem to be favoring Barroth + jump attack spam for SnS since the motion values are pretty high on those attacks. I imagine if your playstyle is more focused on quick attacks then element focused builds will pull ahead as it previously did for SnS. I am seeing a lot of odogaron lance + 3 piece teostra set bonus (no sharpness loss on crits). It's easy to cap your affinity with this weapon and it already has base white sharpness.

Dual blades, element is still the way to go. 2 piece rathalos and stacking crit and +element skills to cap your elemental damage is very popular. Though Diablos duals + elementless is still very powerful.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Huh, I think I unlocked it at like 40. I'm currently 43.

I don't have any of the streamstones I need I think. I use rarity 8 gear barring one item and none have the option for augmentation yet.

Could just be I'm misreading, misunderstanding or not even looking at the right thing. Hah.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any of the streamstones I need I think. I use rarity 8 gear barring one item and none have the option for augmentation yet.

Could just be I'm misreading, misunderstanding or not even looking at the right thing. Hah.

Oh, you mean you have the option right? I thought you meant you didn't even see the ability unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.