• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just had a peak at that thread on their forums, and a few others... and it's a cess pit of alt-right talking points.

The fact they have not even deleted that thread is a joke.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Some of you have a bit unrealistic expectations for small Slovenian develops and their knowledge of the ins and outs of modern day American identity politics.

Ooof. I don't think you thought this comment through, bud.

I do, however, think it brings up a different point not necessarily directly tied to this discussion, but has to do with problem perception in general. You cannot realistically expect a small country of 2 million with almost zero history or experience of racial diversity to be equally sensitive or familiar with a topic like this. Many of the problems existing in the US and other countries never really manifested there, so you can't exactly blindly equate certain issues without taking into account the different environments involved.

On the other hand, completely dismissing criticism of this nature purely out of cultural or geographical reasons also doesn't work, because you can't really claim this much ignorance in a globally connected society (especially if you are in a well-developed EU country, which Slovenia is). I find the explanation of the devs to be reasonable enough, but their handling of their own forum needs to prove their words in practice.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ooof. I don't think you thought this comment through, bud.

I do, however, think it brings up a different point not necessarily directly tied to this discussion, but has to do with problem perception in general. You cannot realistically expect a small country of 2 million with almost zero history or experience of racial diversity to be equally sensitive or familiar with a topic like this. Many of the problems existing in the US and other countries never really manifested there, so you can't really blindly equate certain issues without taking into account the different environments involved.

On the other hand, completely dismissing criticism of this nature purely out of cultural or geographical reasons also doesn't work, because you can't really claim this much ignorance in a globally connected society (especially if you are in a well-developed EU country, which Slovenia is). I find the explanation of the devs to be reasonable enough, but their handling of their own forum needs to prove their words in practice.
They're game devs which likely means they're internet savvy which likely means they're not ignorant in the way you're suggesting.

The fact that they made this response proves they aren't anyway.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so PCGamer spoke to some artists and not Triterion PR or someone in charge of communication?

Yyyesh, 11 developers? Welp, that's extremely low when your game is a million seller, i don't want to be in their position.

Yup. There's success, and then there's like, too much success. I don't know who these people are or their intentions but I certainly do not envy them at all.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good response, the best part being they didn't blame PC Gamer like their initial tweets did.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always love seeing the "Europe is a land without racism, they can't understand America's racial problems!" posts XD Yes, us Americans have extreme racial tensions and issues, but come on guys, don't be so ignorant of your own issues.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Just had a peak at that thread on their forums, and a few others... and it's a cess pit of alt-right talking points.

The fact they have not even deleted that thread is a joke.

Yep still full of racist shit days later. The fucking racist character thread is still there. It's honestly unreal.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sure. The fact that "post yout k..." is still up there is proof enough that they're full of shit.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devs:"[...] The idea to give players this ability was simply a theoretical solution to a difficult problem[...] "

And that's the problem: It's not a difficult problem at all. The fact you believe it's a problem at all, is giving validity to people distorted view about realism in video games which is nothing else that a façade for their sexism and racism.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They're not doing the toggle, but because of how cowardly and pandering they've proven to be elsewhere, such as accommodating for and excusing that blatantly racist thread and dismissing outside voices, I don't know that I trust when that decision was made. I can't trust that they wouldn't have gone through with it if this hadn't blown up.

And they were fine with the idea of letting players remove female characters because "the realism complaint is valid". Ultimately they decided against this idea, because it would "invalidate the hard work put into character customization by players", not because they changed their mind about the realism complaint being valid, not because this is a silly game featuring plenty of other (actually) unrealistic and historically inaccurate elements, and that removing female characters is purely sexist bullshit aimed at pandering to Gamergate types.

So I have extremely little faith in them when they say...pretty much anything in regards to this situation. They can get back to me when they've actually meaningfully improved.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's a shame there are so many dickheads is the world.

I don't know if this is the case here, but imagine creating something which gets unintentionally adopted by scumbags , only to end up in a pair iii where your livelihood depends on them.

It's a bit like those comedy characters which are unpleasant, stupid horrible human beings and the audience ends up becoming the people the character was meant to Be calling out

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
And that's the problem: It's not a difficult problem at all. The fact you believe it's a problem at all, is giving validity to people distorted view about realism in video games which is nothing else that a façade for their sexism and racism.

Yeah, I agree.
There were warriors of color in the fighting forces even in white troups as supporting mercenaries (especially around Slovenia, with byzantium using Ethiopian mercenaries) and woman figures leading armies/efforts.
Joan of arc is the one I know but there was also Matilda of Canossa, Isabella of Castile, Caterina Sforza, Lagertha, Sichelgaita of Salerno, Joan Hachette...
Sure fewer women but they made history since their names reached us.

People wanting a removal of these want to forget history, or reimagine one fitting their views.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree.
There were warriors of color in the fighting forces even in white troups as supporting mercenaries (especially around Slovenia, with byzantium using Ethiopian mercenaries) and woman figures leading armies/efforts.
Joan of arc is the one I know but there was also Matilda of Canossa, Isabella of Castile, Caterina Sforza, Lagertha, Sichelgaita of Salerno, Joan Hachette...
Sure fewer women but they made history since their names reached us.

People wanting a removal of these want to forget history, or reimagine one fitting their views.

I also find laughable that a community that embraced a mod that let you play the Doom theme among other very silly things cries about "mah realism".

Oct 29, 2017
Shortly after launch and in internal discussions, the concept of a gender option toggle was dismissed as it would undermine the customization players work hard to create.
So they chose to dismiss the option effectively for gameplay reasons, not because it would amount to moral equivalency and pandering to a toxic audience. This is supposed to make us feel better about the outcome?

And why even entertain a "debate" about realism with such a disingenuous audience? If you see that many of these players are nothing but malicious Gamergate manchildren, you better believe they don't give a damn about "historical accuracy". I don't buy any of this "inexperience" excuse, either. What I *do* buy is that there's not a single person on the developer team who has the moral backbone to step up and make some big, urgent changes.

I won't hold my breath for it, but I hope gaming news outlets can shed some more light and add pressure for the better.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Such a weakass response, especially when they haven't even taken any real stance for a black and white subject.

That said it's fucking incredible that the game was made by only 11 people, it's so solid.

This whole thing is a perfect example of "Any publicity is good publicity".

Who the hell knew about this game prior to the outrage? They probably saw a decent boom in sales from this.

Doubt it, the game has been trending down for a while now.

Last edited: