• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But thanks largely to free-market forces, more coal-fired power plants have been deactivated in Trump's first two years in office then in Obama's entire first term. When asked about the President's claim to be the savior of coal, veteran miner and industry consultant Art Sullivan bristles.

"He's trying to get their votes," he says, standing by the fenced-off entrance to a mine not far from Mitchell where he once served as Face Boss, a coal industry term for managers. "He's lying to them."

For 52 years, Sullivan worked in mines around the world and, like many in western Pennsylvania, he remembers Hillary Clinton's 2016 Ohio town hall where she said, "We're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business."

In her book "What Happened," Clinton devoted an entire chapter to the gaffe, which eclipsed her early campaign promise to provide a $30 billion aid package to struggling coal communities.

Sullivan had his own thoughts. "What you need to say to coal miners is 'We're going to figure out a way to give you better, safer, healthier jobs.' These guys and the few gals are simply too good. They are too capable to simply say that we don't need you," he said.

Post various pictures of the "not giving a fuck" meme if old.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like a lot of people in these mining tows have a bizarre attachment to the profession. Their grandfather was a coal minster, and their father was a coal miner, so they must be a coal miner too even if it makes no sense in todays world. It's like they're unable or refuse to comprehend the wind is blowing in a new direction and they need to adapt.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
yeah this along with the report from china last week that they have the start of a solar plant that is not cheaper than coal in the area its in..

fuck Trump and the money hats... coal is going away even faster now that there are numerous options that are cheaper.

of course won't stop the Cheeto in chief from talking about how he is killing regulations to bring back coal jobs.

I feel like a lot of people in these mining tows have a bizarre attachment to the profession. Their grandfather was a coal minster, and their father was a coal miner, so they must be a coal miner too even if it makes no sense in todays world. It's like they're unable or refuse to comprehend the wind is blowing in a new direction and they need to adapt.
people with limited education fear change? I think you might have something.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to muster sympathy. But then I remember that they'll blame Obama and still vote for Trump in 2020.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Good, the sooner the coal induatry collapses the better.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Sullivan had his own thoughts. "What you need to say to coal miners is 'We're going to figure out a way to give you better, safer, healthier jobs.' These guys and the few gals are simply too good. They are too capable to simply say that we don't need you," he said.

Umm, didn't Obama already do this? You can't convince stupid people stuck in their ways that a better alternative is out there.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
People should have listened when even coal company bosses said those jobs weren't coming back. I wonder if they can still get that free job training that Obama was offering.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if its "bizarre" at all. But I get what your saying.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to say the solution here really is UBI. You can't convince coal miners to learn to code, but you can give them welfare checks and let the coal towns die of their own accord.

It's like end-of-life care but for a town instead of a person.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This dignity to work bullshit is going to be a nightmare to overcome in this country. You're gonna see this level of logic apply to the whole labor system. People are attacking autonomous vehicles. And I mean literally attacking them.

Jobs cult culture is a major disease from which this entire country is infected with.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Wasn't there a report that when Obama set up job training resources in those areas nobody showed up because they wanted to keep the coal jobs.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I want to say the solution here really is UBI. You can't convince coal miners to learn to code, but you can give them welfare checks and let the coal towns die of their own accord.

Or you can have a successful govt program where you do teach them to code, then you can defund it after getting the votes from the community you lied to.

You know, like the ARC.

http://time.com/4793315/donald-trump-budget-appalachian-regional-commission/

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or you can have a successful govt program where you do teach them to code, then you can defund it after getting the votes from the community you lied to.

You know, like the ARC.

http://time.com/4793315/donald-trump-budget-appalachian-regional-commission/
You aren't teaching them to code. The ones that can code are the ones who were able to college, and they already moved out and didn't come back. The brain drain is real.

It's not about limited educational opportunities, it's about the people who can't take advantage of them.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

These kinds of people are basically Dutch's Gang, lmao.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Most things will be renewable in 15 years because it is now cheaper to produce wind and soon solar in a lot of places. This will fix itself, but we need a NASA sized department to research and reverse climate change for the coming centuries so that Earth is still inhabitable for future gene.

Forearms

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't teaching them to code. The ones that can code are the ones who were able to college, and they already moved out and didn't come back. The brain drain is real.

It's not about limited educational opportunities, it's about the people who can't take advantage of them.

I don't think this is true. I've known people to switch from a trade-based jobs to a software development jobs with training. The people that left to go to college in these towns most likely had parents that wanted their kids to have a better life. Those that didn't leave could probably learn something new as long as they were getting paid to do so while they learn/transition.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
Nah fuck that, embrace the schadenfreude.
Understood

dAm0nS4.gif

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is true. I've known people to switch from a trade-based jobs to a software development jobs with training. The people that left to go to college in these towns most likely had parents that wanted their kids to have a better life. Those that didn't leave could probably learn something new as long as they were getting paid to do so while they learn/transition.
You can teach some of them, yeah. But they're likely the ones who are already most successful and can weather a transition anyway. They're not where the big problem is.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's absolutely bizarre to me. If I could see on the horizon that my profession was seriously threatened by new technologies, I'd start looking for safer career paths. I certainly wouldn't try and King Cnut it.
Well presumably if you're capable of this level of self awareness/foresight but you're still a worker rather than an owner, you vote Democrat. Which is to say, selective blindness about the past, present and future is necessary to be a Republican voter.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

I get what you're saying. I remember seeing a piece on Vice News about exactly this, and I found this similar story while quickly looking for it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltec...de-a-new-path-for-laid-off-miners-in-kentucky

The bigger point is that Trump is failing these people not only on his campaign promises, but also on helping them transition too.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
My understanding is that shale gas ("fracking") is a bigger threat to coal than any climate change policy, and since Trump Admin eschews any environmental regulation shale gas is simply taking it's economic course. At least, I want to say that's the case.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
It's sad, but they don't want to hear the truth and there's no meaningful way to help the majority of them until they want to help themselves. It's not the first industry to go the way of the dodo and won't be the last

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The fact of the matter is that the number of remaining coal miners in this country is absolutely tiny in the scheme of things. Trump just plays to gullible idiots that associate coal mining with the good old days.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird. Like there are actual ghost mining towns from the 1800s where people moved on after whatever they were mining was gone. People are way more mobile now but refuse to leave to their little town with no real career prospects.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Wife is from WV but her family luckily has never been involved in coal. I'm moving there with her in the near future and keep trying to focus on the benefits of the area (natural wonders, easy weekend trips to major cities, cheap cost of living) but the sense of despair in the state worries me. We took a drive through coal country when we visited last and it was like something out of a post-apocalypse movie in a lot of the towns we passed through. Easily 4 out of 5 businesses were shuttered.

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Republicans are some of the dumbest living creatures. This was forecasted well in advance and everyone saw this coming but they still voted trump.