xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

View: https://x.com/starry_gulf/status/1743322091401986450?s=20

Alexandra Hall ~

@starry_gulf

Yesterday was my last day at Kotaku. A Thursday surprise! Much has changed since I joined nearly four years ago, but I remain proud of my colleagues for continually striving to do great work despite the challenging internal circumstances. Blessed to work with y'all.

View: https://x.com/xpatriciah/status/1743324069200642342?s=20

Patricia Hernandez

@xpatriciah

Kotaku is now down to three editors, including the EIC. For reference, it had like twice that number a few years ago.

View: https://x.com/carolynmichelle/status/1743322949367607633?s=20
Carolyn Petit

@carolynmichelle

Yesterday, G/O Media laid off a supremely skilled editor at Kotaku. I fear that management has no appreciation or understanding of how vital great editing is to great writing, and I consider the move to me shortsighted, misguided, and self-defeating.

manifest73

Oct 28, 2017
Private equity firms really are the worst, pretty much all they do is buy beloved properties and ruin them.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
My sympathies to anyone let go.

The new year is always a stressful time in the world of media -- has been as long as I've been doing it (a decade plus). It's when the bosses look at their yearly traffic/spreadsheets, panic, and start cutting people.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
It sucks for the folks impacted and I hope they land on their feet soon. That said, Kotaku (and all of its sister sites such as Deadspin and whatnot) have just been shambling husks for a while now. This was a matter of when, not if, sadly.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I actually wouldn't be surprised if we saw layoffs in all industries this year and in the years to come as well.

Yep. We are in for a brutal year as far as layoffs, I think. ESPECIALLY in fields that AI can fuck with. But, even outside of that it feels like there is a lot of shit out of whack right now in the "post" covid world. And the course corrections are going to be painful for everyone not at the top.

OP
OP
xir

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yep. We are in for a brutal year as far as layoffs, I think. ESPECIALLY in fields that AI can fuck with. But, even outside of that it feels like there is a lot of shit out of whack right now in the "post" covid world. And the course corrections are going to be painful for everyone not at the top.
i follow some usa econ news, and heard some unemployment rising and light recession predictions but nothing grander, can i ask where yr seeing this or feeling it from? not to derail my own thread lol

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i follow some usa econ news, and heard some unemployment rising and light recession predictions but nothing grander, can i ask where yr seeing this or feeling it from? not to derail my own thread lol

Just gut feeling more than anything. Which, obviously, is bullshit based on nothing. But, it just feels like companies are ready to slash jobs to keep profits up as sales slow down from the covid years. With the cost of living skyrocketing, people are going to have less and less expendable income. So, non-essentials has to take a hit.

Outside of video games, guitar is my main interest. And things really seem not great in that industry as well. Companies cranked up production to the max as sales were historically high throughout covid. And now tons of companies are sitting on stock, to the point that we are seeing legit discount sales going on like I have never seen in all my years. But, they gotta do something to clear out their overstock now. So, it feels like both industries I am most "invested" in aren't in great spots right now.

OP
OP
xir

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just gut feeling more than anything. Which, obviously, is bullshit based on nothing. But, it just feels like companies are ready to slash jobs to keep profits up as sales slow down from the covid years. With the cost of living skyrocketing, people are going to have less and less expendable income. So, non-essentials has to take a hit.

Outside of video games, guitar is my main interest. And things really seem not great in that industry as well. Companies cranked up production to the max as sales were historically high throughout covid. And now tons of companies are sitting on stock, to the point that we are seeing legit discount sales going on like I have never seen in all my years. But, they gotta do something to clear out their overstock now. So, it feels like both industries I am most "invested" in aren't in great spots right now.

yeah i got into synths last year and a company bought out moog, that's like someone buying nintendo, and shutdown all manufacturing in USA after they said they wouldnt. hoping the worst case scenarios i heard that are mild are indeed the worst case