Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Or... they could just offer people a way to access their Playstation account on PC?

They need to setup a pipeline for multiplatform development. Late ports rarely have big impact unless the audience is extremely starved for that kind of game (eg. Persona 4 pulling crazy numbers last year), so I think Sony will eventually start releasing games day and date on PC, in order to maximize their financial gain.
PC lacks Sony quality single-player focused AAA games. And I'd say VR games would do good as well, because there is a demand for higher quality VR games on PC. The thirst is there I'd say. Death Stranding is popular on PC and Horizon went from middling to very positive on Steam after all the patches.

But I agree that they need to launch closer to PC release. 3-4 years old games aren't the hottest shit, even when they are great.

It will be interesting to see how they handle Horizon: Forbidden West. The first game is already on PC and it's a crossgen-game.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What if the whole reason Sony purchase Bluepoint Games is to have Bluepoint enhance port their Playstation games to PC?

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Doom Eternal - another single-player campaign - was among Steam's platinum sellers last year. TLOU2 was the sixth-best selling game in the US last year, and it came out on only one platform. Again, I love Bloodborne and I will rebuy it on Steam and it will sell well, but if you think it will outsell a genuine blockbuster like TLOU2 you're living in a bubble.
Putting Doom Eternal and TLOU2 in the same group as single player is like putting GTA V and Dark Souls in the same group as well. They're all single player campaign games. Call of Duty is a genuine blockbuster title each year and most of the sales don't come from PC.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to get real edgy thinking about Bloodborne on PC.
I need it confirmed, ah I need it, nedit, need it.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Putting Doom Eternal and TLOU2 in the same group as single player is like putting GTA V and Dark Souls in the same group as well. They're all single player campaign games. Call of Duty is a genuine blockbuster title each year and most of the sales don't come from PC.

Your point was that "open world games sell on PC" - I was pointing out that non open world single player campaign games obviously sell as well. But this is a pointless conversation and peak Era bubble/armchair analyst. We'll see if the games ever come out I guess.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That is interesting...and confusing.

Sony is for sure better at doing business than me, lol, but to me it seems like they are cannibalizing PS5 sales and with that also being able to lock customers into their own ecosystem. As many people already in this thread stated, the PS5 will lose a lot of allure when you with a just bit of delay can play all its exclusives even better on PC. I guess the extra game sales on PC are more consequential than PS5, PSN, PS Plus sales etc. (which I would never have guessed) and a growing fanbase of games means a growing number of watchers of the upcoming TLoU and Uncharted series and movies?
Or maybe everyone stating: "Hah! Now I don't need to buy a PS5 anymore. Thanks, Sony! :)" Is outside of here or any internet forum of no or not much of a consequence to actual PS5 sales. Maybe Sony figured out they'd still sell pretty much the same amount of PS5s?

It would all make more sense if Playstation, like Xbox, already had their own ecosystem in place on PC.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Sony is for sure better at doing business than me, lol, but to me it seems like they are cannibalizing PS5 sales and with that also being able to lock customers into their own ecosystem. As many people already in this thread stated, the PS5 will lose a lot of allure when you with a just bit of delay can play all its exclusives even better on PC. I guess the extra game sales on PC are more consequential than PS5, PSN, PS Plus sales etc. (which I would never have guessed) and a growing fanbase of games means a growing number of watchers of the upcoming TLoU and Uncharted series and movies?
Or maybe everyone stating: "Hah! Now I don't need to buy a PS5 anymore. Thanks, Sony! :)" Is outside of here or any internet forums of no or not much of a consequence to actual PS5 sales. Maybe Sony figured out they'd still sell pretty much the same amount of PS5s?

It would all make more sense if Playstation, like Xbox, already had their own ecosystem in place on PC.

It's not really complicated. Money gained by porting to PC > money lost by people not buying PS5s because of porting to PC. A customer who only buys exclusives on PS and everything else on PC doesn't contribute much to the PlayStation ecosystem anyway. There's not much to lose.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Or maybe everyone stating: "Hah! Now I don't need to buy a PS5 anymore. Thanks, Sony! :)" Is outside of here or any internet forums of no or not much of a consequence to actual PS5 sales. Maybe Sony figured out they'd still sell pretty much the same amount of PS5s?

What makes you believe they would port PS5 games ? Because your are exposing good arguments against, for me it's also nonsense to do it before 2027 at least. But the back catalog is more in value with such port, and so the console mothership for newcoming titles.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
People can't even buy PS5s at the moment and probably won't be able to for quite a while.
So porting old games to PC is just profit on the table.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

The thinking behind this move is the same thinking that led to the creation of PlayStation Productions.
They are looking to expand their IP's reach.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Or maybe everyone stating: "Hah! Now I don't need to buy a PS5 anymore. Thanks, Sony! :)" Is outside of here or any internet forum of no or not much of a consequence to actual PS5 sales. Maybe Sony figured out they'd still sell pretty much the same amount of PS5s?

Sony knows there's a big audience on PC not buying consoles
They want that audience
They are porting their PS4 games.
People buying PS consoles only for exclusives are worthless for Sony, they want people to actively spend money on the PSN, have a PS+ subs etc.

Not a lot of overthinking, they want to expand the reach of their IPs beyond PS consoles.

People will continue to buy consoles like they always did, a couple of PS4 games being ported to PC are not going to change the minds of the mainstream crowd.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Even if those games released day and date, it wouldn't matter. People buy into BRANDS.
And that's fine to some extent. But the people buying a PlayStation will still buy one, because they want a PlayStation. All the people here concern trolling or being upset, even if all those exclusives weren't exclusive, they'd still buy a PlayStation for it. What they feel annoyed about is that they're losing that sense of superiority about having "things others cant, unless they join my brand".

Why AAA multiplat games are still the best selling ones ? Why is GTA 5, which is exclusive to no platform, is the best selling title on those platforms ?
Why are so many other multiplat titles so popular ?

People buy into brands but also ecosystems. There are people who wants their PlayStation controller, on a PlayStation system, with a PlayStation ecosystem and trophies. Some will be pissed at first, but they'll just move to another goalpost.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it wouldn't, I made that perfectly clear. Also, I'm pretty sure Souls games still eclipse Resident Evil in sales.

Additionally, considering the "controversies' surrounding TLOU2, I'm not sure if I'm ready to see how the Steam forums will look like. It'll be full of bigotry.

Eclipse? Nah.

RE4 - 10.6M
RE5 - 12.1M
RE6 - 10M
RE7 - 8.5M
RE:2 - 7.8M

The average is better than RE's, but RE mainlines have comparative sales to Dark Souls starting with RE4.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What makes you believe they would port PS5 games ?

Well, I assume they will keep on doing that porting practice and at one point it will also reach PS5 games. Unless they will stop at the last PS4 game and will only start porting PS5 games when the PS6 is out? So Demon's Souls PC port in 2028? ;)

Oct 27, 2017
the PS5 will lose a lot of allure when you with a just bit of delay can play all its exclusives even better on PC

Two years later is not just a bit of delay.

Personally i will stop buying a PS console the moment they decide to release ALL their exclusive games on Pc with just few months of delay. In that situation i won't see a reason to keep buying a Playstation.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

They probably figured that porting some games 2, 3 or 4 years after releasing on their hardware won't cannibalize any sales for them.
They might start selling PS5 games on PC once the PS6 is getting closer as well.

They want everyone to play their previous games right before the new ones are released.
That way a game sells well on their hardware followed by more sales on a different platform a few years later.

Xbox will probably do the same with a lot of their games from Bethesda. Have them exclusively on their ecosystem for a while and then have them released in more hardware.

Sony wants money, if they find that they won't lose money with this strategy and even make some like this, that's what they do.
If for some reason people stop betting on their platform, start cancelling PS Plus subscriptions, etc...then you can bet no more games will leave their hardware. This is where they make the most money, lmao.

Deleted member 23046

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People can't even buy PS5s at the moment and probably won't be able to for quite a while.
So porting old games to PC is just profit on the table.
Also to occupy the field, create envy and buzz around the brand almost without the need of marketing money.

And personally I am glad for Bend, first because it was achievement for a >100 employees studio, and secondly despite some flaws DG has a real authenticity and many originalities behind its overseen tropes of an exhausted and decadent anericana.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not about hardware, it's about China (and to a lesser extent, SK).

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I know some people are putting some sort of magical firewall around PS5 games for some reason, but would it really affect sales if, say, Demons Souls came out one year after the PS5 release? People are no longer talking about it now anyway. In a year it won't be driving sales of the console.

None of us know of course until we actually see something like that released.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sure is funny seeing self-appointed PC-whisperers when a) just about every facile argument about genre X not being feasible in the PC market has proven to be nonsense, and b) this place took seriously the notion that releasing a port of Horizon would create some kind of pipeline where people abandon 10 year+ Steam libraries to buy a PS5 for one sequel, rather than Sony simply seeing a large customer base that could be addressed who simply do not regularly buy into consoles.

There is quite frankly nothing in Sony's first party catalogue that would perform poorly on PC on its own merits, because Sony are a mass market videogame publisher who makes mass-market games, and despite the assumptions of some here the likes of Steam evidently has mass market presence.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I know some people are putting some sort of magical firewall around PS5 games for some reason, but would it really affect sales if, say, Demons Souls came out one year after the PS5 release? People are no longer talking about it now anyway. In a year it won't be driving sales of the console.

I think Sony will sit on PS5 ports until they put out most of their PS4 exclusives.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I think Sony will sit on PS5 ports until they put out most of their PS4 exclusives.
Yeah maybe. But I feel there's a sweet spot in which a release is still somewhat 'hot', but not so much that the whole world abandons plans to buy a PS5 for it. Leave it too long and you risk releasing something that's met with an impassive shrug.

Deleted member 23046

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know some people are putting some sort of magical firewall around PS5 games for some reason, but would it really affect sales if, say, Demons Souls came out one year after the PS5 release?
Yes, at least until they find more money elsewhere than in the PSN.
The exception could be for games like MLB, Predator etc.
Mark Cerny mentioned the hardcore crowd moving on PC during the reveal of the PS4 Pro.
Also the most frequent commentary you could read right after any console aquisition is "what do I missed" or "what should I play".

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I think Gran Turismo would be a great fit for PC, where most sim racers call home.
Also a perfect way to increase multiplayer base with crossplay, since there's no big input device advantage (you can't play GT with mouse & keyboard).

In any case, glad they're pushing on with this.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017

How is porting years old PS4 games cannibaling PS5 sales?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

The key point here is it's not 'a bit' of delay.

It's 3 years with Horizon Zero Dawn, and I guess about 2 years with Days Gone now.

If you're waiting 2-3 years for these PS games to release on PC, then you're probably never going to get a PS4/5 anyway, these sales are just additional profit for Sony then.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, more games releasing on PC the better, doesn't take anything away from the console, completely different eco system, like no one I know is all of a sudden going to spend more money and stick a gaming desktop in their living room, even if games launch day one, it doesn't change anything since they're console gamers, and guaranteed the money Sony make from PC would be multitudes more compared to sales lost from people deciding to skip PS altogether, those people would be such a tiny percentage. PC releases I only see as a positive for consumers.

It also means I'm getting a superior version of a game that's not stuck on a closed limited platform, don't have to worry about backwards compatibility or visual/fps options, I can use mods, cheat engine, downloaded gamesaves, trainers etc.
Pretty much every game on PC I use one thing or another that you just can't do on console, whether it's more UI options, damage modifiers, freecam mods, the list goes on, even if I'm not going to play at the time I'd always like to have a PC version for future's sake.

Now please, give me that Bloodborne PC release. :D

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

I agree. I don't expect anything close to day and date, but probably a year or two after release (I think Rockstar will be the reference.) After 1-2 years I believe sales usually go down enough that this is exactly where you'd want to maximize revenue by introducing the game to PC, while the game is still fresh enough that PC people will be super excited for it, and old enough that it won't be a blow to console sales.
As AAA budgets and production costs balloon up (and can you imagine if one game underperforms for some reason? Ruinous) - getting the most sales out of each game will be super important, and I think that would be hard to do with a single still-in-growing-stage platform...

(I do think the later half of this generation might introduce longer delays and less clarity on where and if games will come to PC, since the PS5 will be a bigger platform by then. Unless PC sales as just so amazing, without hurting console sales at all, so Sony can't possibly pass them up. But I'm sort of expecting later PS5 titles to arrive on PC only after PS6 releases at the least.)

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The key point here is it's not 'a bit' of delay.

It's 3 years with Horizon Zero Dawn, and I guess about 2 years with Days Gone now.

If you're waiting 2-3 years for these PS games to release on PC, then you're probably never going to get a PS4/5 anyway, these sales are just additional profit for Sony then.

I saw a list with Ghost on it as well. That's not a year old. It will be a slow start but they will get there eventuelly.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
They need to setup a pipeline for multiplatform development.

I don't know about finanicals, but personally, I want single-platform focused development because it's easier and allows a bigger focus, optimized for that platform. I love how Apple makes software just for their hardware and designs specifically for it.

I really don't mind these games coming to PC - if they can do it (and I don't see why the couldn't), however, I wouldn't want Sony first party studios doing multiplatform development from the start. They make some of the best games I've seen because they are laser focused on a single platform (of platform family). They design these games with controllers in mind, with PlayStation limitations in mind, with PlayStation features in mind, etc.

It's one thing to make a game with a single platform in mind, then port it to other platforms with additional resources and compromises - and another to do multiplatform development from the start. I'm not going to be that guy that wants PS games to stay on PS and freak out over them coming to PC (it's great that they are) but there is a special sauce with PlayStation Studios that gave me some of the best games I've played and I think their focus on their owned platform is part of that. Of course, I know many would disagree, but that's how I feel about it.

Bring all PS games to PC, that's great - but develop them for PS first. Of course, Sony may decide to do exactly what you say for business reasons, I'm not saying it won't happen. Just that I, personally, am not too excited about that idea. PC ports? Awesome, bring them on.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So... what about The Last of Us Part 2 on PC this year? It doesn't hurt to dream!

I think there is a good chance since their multiplayer game is rumored to be pc/ps5 that they will also bring last of us 1 and part 2 with it. Maybe not this 2021 tho.

But I would take a bet that's it's coming next year.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bringing older titles to PC would also benefit Sony due to the ongoing Covid crisis. I imagine all the projects in their pipeline will have some kinds of snags in some fashion. I'm guessing GoW2, Horizon 2, Tsushima 2, etc. will take a bit longer than originally planned. This will give them some breathing room while they let those projects have the time they need to finish up.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Bringing older titles to PC would also benefit Sony due to the ongoing Covid crisis. I imagine all the projects in their pipeline will have some kinds of snags in some fashion. I'm guessing GoW2, Horizon 2, Tsushima 2, etc. will take a bit longer than originally planned. This will give them some breathing room while they let those projects have the time they need to finish up.
What good is a PC port for a PS5 owner in terms of giving some breathing room when there are no new releases on the hardware they own?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt that Sony's new relationship with EPIC meant that more of their catalog will be coming to PC. While it may be offputting to some, it feels like this is the direction the industry is going.

One of the lead devs on Days Gone is on Eric's unreal engine board or whatever it's called so it's more than just Sony itself.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I saw a list with Ghost on it as well. That's not a year old. It will be a slow start but they will get there eventuelly.
If it's not announced yet then it's just a heresay. Even if Ghost is coming to PC, it probably won't be until later this year I reckon.

Anyway I still believe Sony will never release PS5 and PC version of their main games on the same date. Well, until they announce otherwise lol.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where is this rumours coming from?

I can't find it atm. I think it was on era.

If it's not announced yet then it's just a heresay. Even if Ghost is coming to PC, it probably won't be until later this year I reckon.

Anyway I still believe Sony will never release PS5 and PC version of their main games on the same date. Well, until they announce otherwise lol.

It was always like this.

Only indies from sony on pc
Only quandic dream games
Death stranding was only on kojima
Horizon was only to promote the sequel
The last excuse is it's only old games

They will release day and date eventuelly.

What good is a PC port for a PS5 owner in terms of giving some breathing room when there are no new releases on the hardware they own?

The funny thing is that it takes away if they are doing it in house. But me thinks the organic grows is because they prepare for multiplatform development.