Deleted member 128578

Dec 2, 2022
Always hate that Kai gets put on the same level as Jarek. Kai is very much devoid of any real character or personality but there's a lot of potential there and room to make him pretty interesting. I'll always be mad they planned to have him cameo in MKX but swapped him with Bo Rai Cho who ended up as DLC. Will forever wonder what could've been.

Jarek though is just shit tbh. Sure you could make him more interesting but why bother? He's just a more generic and cheap copy of Kano, who's already not the biggest shining star of MK. Everything about Jarek is just 'Kano, but worse' and that to me puts him far below Kai who's unique but just wasn't give enough room to really shine in MK4 (which was a super jank game) and Armageddon (a game where 90% of the roster are there for the sake of being there).

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
keighley and boon are hyping the begeezus out of this thing...im getting excited

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Always hate that Kai gets put on the same level as Jarek. Kai is very much devoid of any real character or personality but there's a lot of potential there and room to make him pretty interesting. I'll always be mad they planned to have him cameo in MKX but swapped him with Bo Rai Cho who ended up as DLC. Will forever wonder what could've been.

Jarek though is just shit tbh. Sure you could make him more interesting but why bother? He's just a more generic and cheap copy of Kano, who's already not the biggest shining star of MK. Everything about Jarek is just 'Kano, but worse' and that to me puts him far below Kai who's unique but just wasn't give enough room to really shine in MK4 (which was a super jank game) and Armageddon (a game where 90% of the roster are there for the sake of being there).
Indeed. There is a lot interesting things they could do with Kai. Jarek on the other hand is as interesting as a random npc.

Hsu Hao gets a lot of flak, but, i will take him over Jarek any day of the week.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Have better animations this time. Everyone fighting like they're trying to swing around obstacles should've never been a thing past MK9. Shit, it should've never been a thing in MK9 either. The games are fun, but I hate looking at them.

E-bite

Oct 24, 2018
A list of every MK4+3D-era character on the main roster of NRS' MK games:

Quan Chi
Kenshi
Shinnok
Frost

A total of four characters...

FOUR CHARACTERS

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

kai looked pretty cool in MKA

kai-mortal-kombat-4-character-artwork-altar-of-gaming-437.png
latest

what a glow up

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
It was basic, but I actually think I prefer Kai's original design. Would've liked to have seen his planned redesign from Deadly Alliance realized as well.

I don't know why Kai always gets lumped in with the bad newcomers. He's the only one of MK4's batch to not be either a clone or carryover from Mythologies: Sub-Zero. A unique moveset, a decent design, and a cool gimmick with getting to use Raiden's staff after finishing his arcade run. That's more than I can say for several kharacters. Jarek's nothing special but at least has meme potential. Though I don't find the Black Dragon to be a particularly interesting faction period. The best members are either ex-members (Kabal) or less of a card-carrying scumbag than the rest (Tremor).

Deleted member 128578

Dec 2, 2022
Both designs are good imo, but I also do prefer his MK4 design. The Armageddon one is about what I'd expect from a mid-2000s MK game, which isn't a bad thing, but I do wonder how it would translate to a modern age. The MK4 design doesn't really any issues there imo, it holds up fairly well as a base concept and can only be improved upon.

I prefer Armageddon's hair and beard though. The Armageddon head on the MK4 body would be 👌

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can see Kai being thing, like the next Liu Kang to Liu Kang's new Raiden role. But then I wouldn't know where that puts Raiden and Kung Lao.

Not that they're actually going to do that as a main story beat, otherwise they would have probably shown Kai in the reveal trailer. Just thinking out loud.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with others. I' d like to see Kai return as a playable character and Jarek is perfect as a kameo

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
On a side note, what's John Tobias up to these days? It would be cool to see him work on another MK game. I wonder what he would bring to the table since he's responsible for a majority of the characters and storylines from mk 1-4.

Oct 26, 2017
Of the 23 some-odd characters from the MK4-MKA era that haven't been playable in the new NRS era, I think we're only gonna see like 3-5 make the cut as playable characters. The rest will be kameos, if they're lucky.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm not expecting a Konquest mode similar to World Tour...but I would fucking love a Konquest mode similar to World Tour.

More than anything, I'm excited to see how it looks. I can't imagine characters looking better than those in MK11. Still some of the most gorgeous visuals in the medium. Man, nothing gets me quite as hyped as a new non-PS2 era Mortal Kombat.

If the stupid 1 gimmick means anything, I hope it means we'll get more than just a rebooted story with another basic Krypt. Because from everything we've heard about the plot, it's just a continuation of 11, even moreso than MK9 was from Armageddon. What's so 1 about this, Ed Boon?

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Of the 23 some-odd characters from the MK4-MKA era that haven't been playable in the new NRS era, I think we're only gonna see like 3-5 make the cut as playable characters. The rest will be kameos, if they're lucky.
So about the average amount of MK3 debutants who appear in post-MK3 titles.

On a side note, what's John Tobias up to these days? It would be cool to see him work on another MK game. I wonder what he would bring to the table since he's responsible for a majority of the characters and storylines from mk 1-4.
Last I checked, he's apparently been working at Warner Bros. Games San Diego since 2019.

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely didn't care for the run button stuff in MKX, I actually preferred the slower paced stuff from MK11. But I'd be down for the goofy combos from MK9 if the roster is as good.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
While i'm definitely excited about the gameplay reveal, i'm looking foward to subsequent announcements such as Kombat Kasts and perharps some on-hands gameplay over the course of the event. Considering the game is actually quite close to release.